Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,552,507 times

Advertisements

Still linking one commentary article from CNN? Is that the only CNN article you can find on this case? Very telling isn't it.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Then explain why the Duke Lacrosse rape case received national news attention for well over a week. No one was killed and it turned out that no one was raped.

I'll say it again

Crime, Money, Power, Sex, and Race

Without these elements the American public is not interested

If you have the following elements missing the American public has no interst in the case

1. Money
2. Power
3. Race
4. Sex

Crime happens everyday and is covered briefly on every news channel, but the minute rich folks of either race commit a crime it is national news for weeks, sometimes months, sometimes years.

Trust me if more Rich Black men went around raping poor white women you would see this covered for days. If more Rich White college students went around raping poor black women, the media would cover it non-stop.

Now, throw the word Poor Black Men raping poor white women or Poor White college student raping a poor black women, and you ain't got anything I'm interested in watching. I'm speaking for the American public, i like my crime stories with sex, violence, power, race, and money.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Still linking one commentary article from CNN? Is that the only CNN article you can find on this case?Very telling isn't it.
Quote:
It was a "Commentary". Show me where CNN covered the story half as much as the Duke Lacrosse case.
did you read it?

the Duke Lacrosse case had "eyeball power" - as a sports story more viewers would be likely to tune in, and it was contentious - were they guilty or not?

The Duke case made for better numbers.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:22 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,196,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
well duh....the liberal media doesn't want to report things that make blacks look bad. haven't you figured that out yet?
It did get national attention.

In 2006 a white man in Peoria pled guilty to murdering and burning the bodies of six black women. You ever hear about that?

And black folks did not really play the race card, either. So your theory and the theory of this thread are bogus.

Larry Bright (http://www.peoriacountystatesattorney.org/practice%20develop.brightLarry.htm - broken link)

Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,613,878 times
Quote:
It was a "Commentary". Show me where CNN covered the story half as much as the Duke Lacrosse case.
Yes, it was commentary raising the issue of why the story wasn't being covered more. How many people do you think are raped and killed in this country every year? We have 250+ each year where I live. Are you going to complain about all those murders, especially those including multiple murders and rape, not being covered in the national media?

And I certainly don't remember this case being plastered all over the media like the Duke case. Now why is that?

"More than 2,000 friends and neighbors paid last respect to a mother and five children of a Baltimore family who were killed in a house fire believed set by vengeful drug dealers. A day earlier, a seventh family member died from injuries he received in the Oct. 16 fire. Funeral services were held for Angela Maria Dawson, 36; and her children, 9-year-old twins Keith and Kevin, Carnell Jr., 10, Juan Ortiz, 12, and LaWanda Ortiz, 14."
http://www.visioncircle.org/archive/003902.html

Of course, the Duke University story got so much coverage because privileged kids at a top school were involved. Cable news is set up to garner ratings and that's it. So the Duke story sold.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:25 PM

I have a criminal case that got national attention and it involved poor white and black students. Jena 6. The press tried to make them out to be the victims and the white student they attacked as the racist. Their actions since the case has proven them to be nothing more than thug criminals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I'll say it again

Crime, Money, Power, Sex, and Race

Without these elements the American public is not interested

If you have the following elements missing the American public has no interst in the case

1. Money
2. Power
3. Race
4. Sex

Crime happens everyday and is covered briefly on every news channel, but the minute rich folks of either race commit a crime it is national news for weeks, sometimes months, sometimes years.

Trust me if more Rich Black men went around raping poor white women you would see this covered for days. If more Rich White college students went around raping poor black women, the media would cover it non-stop.

Now, throw the word Poor Black Men raping poor white women or Poor White college student raping a poor black women, and you ain't got anything I'm interested in watching. I'm speaking for the American public, i like my crime stories with sex, violence, power, race, and money.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,756 times
Quote:
I have a criminal case that got national attention and it involved poor white and black students. Jena 6. The press tried to make them out to be the victims and the white student they attacked as the racist. Their actions since the case has proven them to be nothing more than thug criminals.
The point of that wasn't that the kids were innocent. The point was that the prosecution was overreaching by trying to boost an assault to attempted murder, and the dubious motives behind that.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
The point of that wasn't that the kids were innocent. The point was that the prosecution was overreaching by trying to boost an assault to attempted murder, and the dubious motives behind that.
Really, did it or did it not get national attention based upon race?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,447,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post

well duh....the liberal media doesn't want to report things that make blacks look bad. haven't you figured that out yet?
You really know how to sink to new lows, don't you.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
the DNA stuff comes up a lot on these posts, i am on board. but what about the cases where
DNA proved they did in fact do the rape, how bout justice.
im not seeing much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies