Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times

Advertisements

Puerto Ricans and New Yorkers, as well as the world, should be very proud of Sonia Sotomayor, as being the first Hispanic woman nominated to the Supreme Court of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,072 times
Moderator cut: quoted post

As to the ethnicity angle, I respect and admire the statistical odds she had to overcome to get to be in said position, but as a puerto rican I wish they would downplay the whole ethnic thing. I'm a minority at my workplace, where's my "I'm a token!" tax rebate?..... don't ask my anglo co-workers, they might have something racially insensitive to say

I honestly have no idea what her judicial reputation is up there in New York, so I can't honestly seriously comment on that angle.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-04-2009 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM

325 posts, read 979,539 times
I'm not hispanic, but I think its awesome. I just like the fact that she's the first hispanic AND she happens to be a female. I think her experience speaks for itself. Obama does it again! His administration will be full of experienced individuals who will help turn the US around!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreda30238 View Post
I'm not hispanic, but I think its awesome. I just like the fact that she's the first hispanic AND she happens to be a female. I think her experience speaks for itself. Obama does it again! His administration will be full of experienced individuals who will help turn the US around!
Yes sir, with Obama change will come. YES WE CAN

Old 05-27-2009, 07:48 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times
Moderator cut: quote

I AM A NEW YORKER TOO, and I think she is fantastic! Soon, the Supreme Court will have TWO New York women! But, putting all this to the side: Anyone that has grown up in poverty, with all the obstacles involved, conquered them, and was able to graduate from Princenton University SUMA *** LAUDE, deserves my total respect.........and should also receive YOURS!!!!!

Last edited by Keeper; 06-04-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I AM A NEW YORKER TOO, and I think she is fantastic! Soon, the Supreme Court will have TWO New York women! But, putting all this to the side: Anyone that has grown up in poverty, with all the obstacles involved, conquered them, and was able to graduate from Princenton University SUMA *** LAUDE, deserves my total respect.........and should also receive YOURS!!!!!
You are a New Yorker? from what part of NY are you from?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What change?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! There is no change, except to our national debt levels. You got allllll the change you wanted, didnt you? You got a friggin moron in office who doesnt know his arse from his elbow who has driven this country into insurmountable debt. Your children will despise you because of your actions, they'll be paying for it more heavily than we are.

Well Bush was not doing anything. All he wanted was war and war. So give Obama a chance and breathe in and out, because it looks like you are going to get a heart-attack.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Her history seems to show that many of her decisions are overturned at higher courts. They should've picked a more competent judge.

Supreme Court Nominee Sotomayor Has Record in Business Cases

Old 05-28-2009, 04:54 PM

28 posts, read 62,991 times
It is comments like yours that have brought America to her knees. Please look up sotomayors' record before giving her undue praise......while your at it, look up obamas' too.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:04 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Right...

This Obama playing race politics, and frankly, it's disgusting.

Who cares if she is white, black, hispanic, or whatever? Obama and the racist Democrats. If the you think that a person is especially important because of their race or sex, you are a racist or a sexist.

Obama is failing as a President so far, I guess this dumb woman was the best we could get from our "genius" President. If any of you have actually taken the time to read her opinions on some vital cases, you will see that she is a mental lightweight, and doesn't care about the Constitution, only how she feels (what a moron!)

She honestly said that it is OK to discriminate against whites, in order to promote blacks. Has she ever heard or the Equal Protections Clause???

Yeah, she is about on par brain-matter wise with Obama (very low)
I'm sure we will all know a lot more about her before the "vetting process" is over. She certainly appears to have the experience. I, for one, think it is good to have a little diversity in the Supremes. It's not an "either or" you know -we can have smart qualified individuals who happen to be women or minorities!

If you think Obama is not very smart you must have been really disgusted with Bush. He is the one who took a strong economy and brought us to the current horrible financial crisis that will require a miracle to dig ourselves out of. Not to mention his atrocious torture policies and a foreign policy that has recruitment of terrorists at an all time high and has alienated just about every country in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies