Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,612,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Really? I believe I've had that card for....you know I can't even remember, I'll guess & say about maybe 10 years.
Dont care if you've had it since birth,

late payment = bad credit risk
over the limit = bad credit risk

with those things against you, having a card at all.. priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,380,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Really? I believe I've had that card for....you know I can't even remember, I'll guess & say about maybe 10 years.
I have had the same (2) cards for atleast 10 years more like 15. Never been late and never ever went over limit. Look I am not trying to beat up on you. Learn from this lesson. Cut up the credit cards or protest by changing company's to a lower rate. Avoid CC from Delaware. Join a credit union if you can and get a card through them.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 PM

51 posts, read 93,183 times
Default Illegal, sadly NOT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
you should double check that-- it is a great deal. Not all cards are like that.
Sometimes they are libor +5 or something like that. However if you miss a payment they have clauses that can raise the rates incredibly. One time i was on vacation and forgot to pay the card next statement the rate jumped like 15%. There are all kinds of nuances with credit cards that consumers should be aware of. Are they all fair- hell no . But i cannot say the credit card companies did anything illegal.
unconscionable...absolutely!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 PM

519 posts, read 693,067 times
Although it doesn't affect me, I am very disappointed - although not surprised. The 2010 elections may get interesting.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,252,777 times
Quote:
Used to be you paid a late fee. A one time late payment doesn't sound like reason enough to double the interest rate though.
Normally what happens if you are late is the computer software automatically kicks in the higher interest rate, late fees, etc.

Usually, you can get those immediately reversed if you have a good credit history with the company.

I never keep a balance, always pay it off. I also never pay a yearly fee, if they insist, I tell them to close the account.

If they accidentally charge a late fee (say a bill falls due on Sunday), I am knowledgeable enough to know that you have until the next day to pay - although sometimes the computer software will kick in that late fee, which are always reversed, if they argue, I tell them to close the account, sue me for the late fee, which I will file a dispute for.

If you have excellent credit and a history, you have a lot of leverage.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM

If a sign says beware of dog. You ignore the sign enter the yard and are bitten. Whose fault is it?
That is what that warning is about. Fair warning if you are late or violate the terms of service we will without notice raise your interest rates. I myself? I pay attention to warnings.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Default But Mike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That's twice in one week. First the Senate voted NO on letting bankruptcy court judges revise interest rates on bad mortgages, now this. Anyone watching this needs to get the message that our 2-party system is a 1-party system and nothing is going to change, and nothing is going to get better for the average citizen, until we get a viable third party in the majority and take this country back from the vested interests, especially the banks.
We already have TWO parties effing us fairly efficiently already...do we REALLY need a 3rd party to screw us even more?

I propose we run our government like a SUCCESSFUL corporation, and require EVERY employee from the President on down to the porter, INTERVIEW for the position before a diverse panel of INTELLIGENT beings, i.e. economists, accountants, doctors, scientists, military professionals, etc. As part of their interview they have to come armed and ready to present THEIR proposal as to how they would fix problems within the department they are applying to, and in their area of expertise. After all the interviews are complete, the panel then sits down and votes to hire ONLY THE MOST QUALIFIED get the job, regardless of political affiliation, race, gender, age, sexual orientation, etc.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 PM

Default You are too right, Greatday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sorry but, Usury limits are established by the individual States. And the amount you cite, while I agree it is high, is not "usury" which is illegal.
I found this out the other day when I called to complain and close out my cc. I mentioned to them that I live in the State of Florida and that we USED TO have usury laws which limited interest rates to 18%. The representative informed me that even though I live and work in Florida, the interest rate is based on the State in which the cc company has incorporated. In my case, the cc was issued from Delaware, (which I have noticed almost all the cc offers I get are from companies out of Delaware, btw), which has NO USURY LAWS!!!

An interesting fact should one be inclined to accept a cc offer...if it comes from Delaware, they can charge you whatever the hell they feel like it. Armed with this information, I have closed my cc from Delaware and am shopping for a locally issued card.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytav817 View Post
We already have TWO parties effing us fairly efficiently already...do we REALLY need a 3rd party to screw us even more?

I propose we run our government like a SUCCESSFUL corporation, and require EVERY employee from the President on down to the porter, INTERVIEW for the position before a diverse panel of INTELLIGENT beings, i.e. economists, accountants, doctors, scientists, military professionals, etc. As part of their interview they have to come armed and ready to present THEIR proposal as to how they would fix problems within the department they are applying to, and in their area of expertise. After all the interviews are complete, the panel then sits down and votes to hire ONLY THE MOST QUALIFIED get the job, regardless of political affiliation, race, gender, age, sexual orientation, etc.
But But what about af action? What about you know hiring people because uncle Johnny is connected?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 PM

Default AMEN, helenejen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Is anyone else as disturbed by this quote from the article as I am? "The banking industry, which had some heavy-weight representatives monitoring the vote off of the Senate floor, warned that an interest rate limit could cause a sour reaction in the financial markets."

WTF?! Flat out extortion!!!
LEGALIZED extortion, at that. Hmmm, haven't members of the mob gone to jail for this??? We are certainly a country of double standards in sooo many ways. sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies