Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,327,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytav817 View Post
I found this out the other day when I called to complain and close out my cc. I mentioned to them that I live in the State of Florida and that we USED TO have usury laws which limited interest rates to 18%. The representative informed me that even though I live and work in Florida, the interest rate is based on the State in which the cc company has incorporated. In my case, the cc was issued from Delaware, (which I have noticed almost all the cc offers I get are from companies out of Delaware, btw), which has NO USURY LAWS!!!

An interesting fact should one be inclined to accept a cc offer...if it comes from Delaware, they can charge you whatever the hell they feel like it. Armed with this information, I have closed my cc from Delaware and am shopping for a locally issued card.
That is correct; the two states with the most lax business laws are Delaware and South Dakota. This makes them very attractive to the financial vultures out there who run credit card companies.

I lived in Delaware for years; I worked for one of the credit card issuers. They are a different breed of people, almost subhuman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM

51 posts, read 93,061 times
Default PRECISELY, pghquest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This goes on with EVERY vote in Congress..

Environmentalists send their people, energy people send theirs, banking send theirs, churches send theirs, big business have people, small businesses have their, old people have theirs, its the way it is, and the flaw of our system.. Its called "special interest groups"..
...which is why we MUST DO AWAY with ANY AND ALL LOBBIES AND SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS!!! This should NOT be an option, and I am sooo very upset that pre-election Obama had vowed to do away with Lobbying/lobbyists, and has NOT done so, and worse yet, has placed lobbyists in his Cabinet. This is one of the most compelling reasons I decided to vote for him.

The following is a partial, but eye-opening list of lobbyists and/or PACS in my previous neighborhood: FLORIDA DENTAL PAC; AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOC PAC; UNITED PARCEL SERVICE OF AMERICA INC PAC (UPSPAC); SOUTHERN WINE & SPIRITS PAC; OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE INC PAC; and Auto Zone, Inc PAC just to name a few.

Now, I ask you all, WHY on earth does Outback Steakhouse and Auto Zone need a frigging PAC???

Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Default My point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
but but what about af action? What about you know hiring people because uncle johnny is connected?
exactly!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM

Default Emeraldmaiden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That is correct; the two states with the most lax business laws are Delaware and South Dakota. This makes them very attractive to the financial vultures out there who run credit card companies.

I lived in Delaware for years; I worked for one of the credit card issuers. They are a different breed of people, almost subhuman.
subhuman is a word I use almost daily...unfortunately. It describes sooo many of the predatory beasts living in our society, from murderers to pedophiles to bank ceo's.

I give you one rep point for awesome use of word. lol.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 PM

Default Hmm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
If it's that bad, then don't use credit cards to buy the groceries. Apply for food stamps.
and just how long do you think it takes for food stamps to be issued? Overnight??? I think NOT.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:11 AM

23,188 posts, read 26,363,549 times
I do think that any rise in an accounts interest rate should be restricted to new purchases, not current balances and would like to have seen something done about that issue.
As far as the suggestion of transferring a balance to a new card ....being given a high enough credit line right off the bat or even being accpeted....isn't as easy anymore.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:35 AM

4,974 posts, read 8,455,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Is anyone else as disturbed by this quote from the article as I am? "The banking industry, which had some heavy-weight representatives monitoring the vote off of the Senate floor, warned that an interest rate limit could cause a sour reaction in the financial markets."

WTF?! Flat out extortion!!!

We & Congress need to remember this next time they need a bailout

Old 05-14-2009, 04:44 AM

4,974 posts, read 8,455,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
A good track record? You just said you were over your limit on occasion and late paying. Thats not a good track record..

Sure it is if you are normally on time. If you have a card for 10 years & then miss a payment, thats one out of 120. I think there should be room for people to be human.
Funny thing if uits based on actual credit worthyness is that while one is hiking up your rates because you are now a terrible risk after years of responsibility is that theres often pre approved offers in the same pile of mail.

Its a scam that works real good for the CC companies because they know you almost NEED a card in todays world.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,354,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Sure it is if you are normally on time. If you have a card for 10 years & then miss a payment, thats one out of 120. I think there should be room for people to be human.
Funny thing if uits based on actual credit worthyness is that while one is hiking up your rates because you are now a terrible risk after years of responsibility is that theres often pre approved offers in the same pile of mail.

Its a scam that works real good for the CC companies because they know you almost NEED a card in todays world.
there you go again, blaming the credit cards because you want to be human.

p.s. no, the scam doesnt work really good because nothing says you need THEIR credit card.. There are thousands and thousands of credit card companies out there. You dont want to pay yours on time, find a company that allows you to pay late..

Old 05-14-2009, 05:28 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,033,297 times
I suggest limiting credit card interest to 15% regardless of current rates. If a bank cannot make a profit off 15% interest it should fail. I also eliminate the "loan to payday" sharks. Enforce the usury laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies