Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,284,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
No, they aren't charging fees the consumer agreed to pay. The banks simply ignored the interest rate agreed upon by the consumer, and arbitrarily hiked the rates. Try to keep up.
The response was in regards to check cashing companies,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
Yes but there is a limit that should be imposed. In ohio we did this with the check into cash type places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yeah, and how many of them are closing down? I know, I see the empty storefronts, and I also heard someone just yesterday complaining they cant get a loan anymore..

boo hoo hoo, they are charging me fees I agreed to pay...
looks like you need to keep up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,068,161 times
Quote:
No, they aren't charging fees the consumer agreed to pay. The banks simply ignored the interest rate agreed upon by the consumer, and arbitrarily hiked the rates. Try to keep up.
credit cards are not bought at fixed rates it is not a mortgage. The company is handing you an unsecured loan. This is all disclosed to the customer when they apply for the card.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM

11,887 posts, read 37,005,500 times
Quote:
Oddly enough, I think the message is loud and clear that if limits are put on the credit cards, then less people will have them, harming only the poor..
I think you misunderstood the OP's post. They are talking about the limits on credit cards raising interest rates at the drop of a hat.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I think you misunderstood the OP's post. They are talking about the limits on credit cards raising interest rates at the drop of a hat.
Actually no I didnt.. If they cant raise interest rates on poor payors, then people with bad credit will not be extended credit cards.. thats the way it is.. Rather than take the risks, they will just deny more individuals or cancel the cards when the risk isnt worth the limited reward..

Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,068,161 times
Quote:
No way. 28-30% interest on a credit card is usury. Plain and simple.

As for the consumer charging a 46" plasma on their credit card: Most people don't have a few thousand dollars collecting dust in a savings account. And most people who buy that plasma on their credit card make their payments, and make them on time. The banks just decided--by hiking the rates to an outrageous level--that that same consumer would now be paying interest, rather than the principle, almost indefinitely.
says who? The consumer signed up to receive a variable rate unsecured loan. There are no current laws saying 28-30% on an unsecured loan is usary.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:13 PM

240 posts, read 353,211 times
Quote:
yeah, and how many of them are closing down? I know, I see the empty storefronts, and I also heard someone just yesterday complaining they cant get a loan anymore..

Not a one in my ton has closed down, and people can't get loans now because there is a credit crunch...so I don't know what that has to do with anything. Of all 45, yes 45, check into cash type places in my town of 20k, not a one has closed down.

4,173 posts, read 6,702,626 times
Quote:
No, you're wrong. They are doing it to EVERYBODY. BOTH Bank of America and Citibank did it to me--arbitrarily hiked the interest rate from 9.9% and 11.9%, respectively, to 27%--and I have never been late on a payment, and my credit rating is very high.

http://sanders.senate.gov/files/credit-card-booklet.pdf
Same here. I keep zero balances and believe in cash-back only cards.

Anyway, I wonder if "the people" could send them a note (like they do to us) with fine print increasing the bailout ROI expected of them. Afterall, banks are virtually bankrupt and need to pay us the same high rates they charge "risky" people.

11,887 posts, read 37,005,500 times
Quote:

They are NOT charging fees you agreed to pay, they are running up the minimum payments and interest rates like loan sharks AGAINST what you agreed to pay in your fine print. I think you are misunderstanding the gist of this entire thread.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:14 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,302,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
credit cards are not bought at fixed rates it is not a mortgage. The company is handing you an unsecured loan. This is all disclosed to the customer when they apply for the card.
Actually, they are. My credit card interest rates were guaranteed for the full balance, until paid.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
They are NOT charging fees you agreed to pay, they are running up the minimum payments and interest rates like loan sharks AGAINST what you agreed to pay in your fine print. I think you are misunderstanding the gist of this entire thread.
Not at all, I think your crying over credit card rates rising is clouding your eyes.

Dont like the interest rate.. get rid of the card. If a bank can not charge higher interest rates to people with poor paying history, poor credit, or simply to make a profit, they will stop issuing credit. Thats a fact, and you dont need to look any further than the mortgage industry for proof...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies