Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,385,329 times

Advertisements

Following up on pledges he made during the campaign to curtail the high fees and rates, President Barack Obama met at the White House on Thursday with top executives from the nation's largest credit card companies to pressure them to take steps that officials say would reduce abusive practices.
On Wednesday the House Financial Services committee overwhelmingly approved a bill that would reduce many fees and limit the ability of the credit card companies to charge penalties.
Industry lobbyists have been working closely with Senate Republicans to try to block the passage [and] say the legislation would have the effect of further reducing lending at a time when credit card companies and consumers are facing tight credit restrictions because of the difficulty of obtaining financing in the secondary markets.
Obama backs bill to lessen credit card interest burden - National Business - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/business/nation/story/1014951.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 85,052,759 times
That's all well and good but it won't take affect until 2010 which gives the banks plenty of time to reduce limits and bump up rates now and that's exactly what the banks are doing.

By the time this goes into effect the banks won't care and it won't help Joe Mainstreet much at all.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123922365800702453.html

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,544,115 times
More wining from the liberals, boo hoo hoo, they loaned me money and now they want paid, with a profit.. boo hoo hoo

What, people didnt think their credit card bills would go up to compensate for bad loans?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 AM

1,046 posts, read 2,400,650 times
I pay in full every month, so it doesn't affect me one way or the other. If more people did this, it wouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,352,480 times
If you spent the money on your credit card, you pay it back. If you don't have the money don't spend it.

I would be more in favor of criminalizing credit cards than this.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 AM

870 posts, read 1,634,732 times
that's great. now the government is getting involved in everything. i wonder how long it will be until obama tells me how many times i can flush my own toilet each day.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I pay in full every month, so it doesn't affect me one way or the other. If more people did this, it wouldn't be an issue.
If more people paid all of their cards off every month then the opposite effect would have.

Banks essentially loan you money till the end of the month and receive no interest in return. If everyone did this, they would start charging fees the minute you used the card instead of waiting till the billing cycle begins.

Most likely that will be the outcome from this, after all, if banks are going to give in one area, they are going to take in another, banks do have to make money..

Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 85,052,759 times
But our economy is based on "consumer spending" so the government has an incentive to get people able to get into debt.

Banks raising rates should be a no brainer to consumers....stop using the cards. Eventually the banks would lower rates to get customers. But I guess too many people are dependent on CC debt to live their lives so it's now become a government concern.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:10 AM

1,787 posts, read 4,778,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
More wining from the liberals, boo hoo hoo, they loaned me money and now they want paid, with a profit.. boo hoo hoo

What, people didnt think their credit card bills would go up to compensate for bad loans?
And then there are those of us who are never late on payments, always pay the card off or pay more than the minimum, never carry a full balance, and are still getting our rates increased and our limits decreased. You think this is fair? Those of us who are responsible are getting penalized for you yahoos who can't take care of their finances.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
And then there are those of us who are never late on payments, always pay the card off or pay more than the minimum, never carry a full balance, and are still getting our rates increased and our limits decreased. You think this is fair? Those of us who are responsible are getting penalized for you yahoos who can't take care of their finances.
Yes absolutely fair and here is why.

1) If you NEVER carry a balance, the banks make ZERO from you, how do you expect them to make money? (in fact they lose money on you)
2) If banks are making NO money from you, why would they not decrease your limits and move their business to people they do make money from?
3) If banks are not making money from you, they are over charging someone else that they do make money from.. You think thats fair? (p.s. of course it is, that was the agreement we all signed up with)

Only disagreement I have is that credit card companies can raise your rates after you've made a charge, buy something at 10%, banks can raise the rate to 20% just because, other than that, people can and choose to use credit, if banks are forced to lower profits in one area then dont be surprised when they lower or cancel your card all together, after all, if they cant make money from you, why should they extend you credit at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies