Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

CBNNews.com - President Obama is set to meet with credit card company executives to discuss what many say are deceptive practices in the credit card industry.

The meeting comes at a time when Congress is planning to impose greater regulation and oversight on credit card companies.

Obama to Crack Down on Credit Card Cos. - Politics - CBN News

Way to go President obama!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
I support this.

Meeting with Obama is largely symbolic, but it's basically saying to the companies, adjust your deceptive policies voluntarily, or we'll do it for you legislatively.

It will be interesting to see what the credit card companies do in response.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
CBNNews.com - President Obama is set to meet with credit card company executives to discuss what many say are deceptive practices in the credit card industry.

The meeting comes at a time when Congress is planning to impose greater regulation and oversight on credit card companies.

Obama to Crack Down on Credit Card Cos. - Politics - CBN News

Way to go President obama!
Oh god, I can not WAIT for this to happen. I've been getting screwed by my credit card company, I've found it near impossible to pay down my balance, I keep getting outrageous late fees or overlimit fees, my interest rate just almost doubled. It's ridiculous & it needs to be stopped.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh god, I can not WAIT for this to happen. I've been getting screwed by my credit card company, I've found it near impossible to pay down my balance, I keep getting outrageous late fees or overlimit fees, my interest rate just almost doubled. It's ridiculous & it needs to be stopped.

and it doesn't make it any easier now that these banks are merging into one.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
GREAT!!! I have noticed my cc adding on "Balance and finance fees" even though I pay it off on time. Outrage.Good Obama! Another reason to support you.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
and it doesn't make it any easier now that these banks are merging into one.
I agree. Several years ago I attempted to transfer a balance from a Bank of America credit card to a lesser known credit card company (I forget the name). I was prohibited from transferring the higher interest BoA card to the lower interest card because the lesser-known company was owned by BoA also. Basically, they said you can't transfer balances within one company.

As soon as I paid that card off, I left BoA in the dust and never went back.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,191 times
These banks are acting outrageously... doubling interest without notice... dropping folks who pay on time... sneaky fees... preying on college students... I know they need to make money but they have to make it honestly.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
I'm glad that something is being done...I don't owe any credit cards, but from past use I hate credit card companies..

But I have a question and it's just a question nothing more..

What gives the President the authority to tell a private business what to do?

I'm on his side on this one...

Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Protecting people from corporations was one of the original tenets, the foundation of the governmental system in this nation. After having fought a war for independence from corporate rule, it was bound to be. And they wanted to ensure history didn't repeat itself, and levied strict controls over how businesses were run via corporate charters.

But over time, corruption prevailed. Politicians got bought over, as they depended more and more on the mercy of political contributions, which brings us to the present day.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:17 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm glad that something is being done...I don't owe any credit cards, but from past use I hate credit card companies..

But I have a question and it's just a question nothing more..

I'm on his side on this one...

The consumers are being abused. I don't believe he's trying to tell them what to do, but more likely warn them of the consumer laws that he is trying to get out there to protect the consumers. Its not necessarily the credit card companies that are cleaning up, but more these collection agencies and law firms.
The courts are swamped with these Civil suites against consumer due to the abuses of the credit card companies. They write off the debt, sell them to these agencies for pennies on the dollar, then the agencies and law firms suit the consumer for double the balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies