Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

If anyone thinks the government can "make" the banks lower those rates to 4-5% you have drank too much koolaid. The banks are sucking Americans dry of every last dime because they made bad bets and taxpayers have to foot the bill and make them whole again.

Keep that card, hope the government will come to your rescue and "feed the beast"
OR
Pay off the card if you can or transfer it to a local bank, not one of the bailout babies.
Better yet, get yourself into a credit union and support them instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
There is another option....

Don't pay it.

Millions of people are doing that right now and millions more will be doing that in the very near future.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
I got a couple cards that the interest rate jumped up from 12% to 28%.

Citi Mastercard is one of them and I only owe a couple hundred bucks.

But wait...

Let me find me cape, I'll be right back, I think I can handle this one.
Then close them and get a better rate card, its called a CHOICE to use them

Its THEIR money, dont like the terms, dont borrow..

Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
There is another option....

Don't pay it.

Millions of people are doing that right now and millions more will be doing that in the very near future.
From a credit rating standpoint, that's obviously not a good idea, but you are right in that when it comes down to paying the credit card bill or buying groceries for the kids, the latter will surely prevail in this economy.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
From a credit rating standpoint, that's obviously not a good idea, but you are right in that when it comes down to paying the credit card bill or buying groceries for the kids, the latter will surely prevail in this economy.
Well there is always a cost....but in the end does it make sense to worry about your rating and paying every month when there are more important issues in your life?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Well there is always a cost....but in the end does it make sense to worry about your rating and paying every month when there are more important issues in your life?
I'm in agreement with you.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
I was listening to a financial segment on NPR & their advice for paying off bills was to first pay your mortgage or rent, then car payment, then I believe it was necessities such as gas/childcare/food & I think after that it was school loans & then lastly it was credit card bills. So, that's what I'm doing. Unfortunately, it means I missed this months payment & now of course that gives me a late payment fee PLUS an overlimit fee but what can I do? It's just going to have to be that way for a few months. I'll probably end up getting dropped anyway so what's the use?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I was listening to a financial segment on NPR & their advice for paying off bills was to first pay your mortgage or rent, then car payment, then I believe it was necessities such as gas/childcare/food & I think after that it was school loans & then lastly it was credit card bills. So, that's what I'm doing. Unfortunately, it means I missed this months payment & now of course that gives me a late payment fee PLUS an overlimit fee but what can I do? It's just going to have to be that way for a few months. I'll probably end up getting dropped anyway so what's the use?
Not to turn this into a financial advisor thread, but missing a payment of any kind, as you know, is not preferrable. Have you:

Increased the deductible on your car insurance? (lower payment usually)
Cancelled or reduced your cable or satellite TV service?
Reduced the calling plan on your cell phone?
Bought groceries instead of eating out?
Turn off electrical items when your not home? (Like your PC)
Combined errands with other car trips?

Minimum payments on credit cards are usually pretty reasonable (?). Have you done everything you can to make sure you have the funds to keep up with your obligations? (Rhetorical questions...no answers needed).

Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
We pay minimums,have for over a year now...we are now in the situation that we can no longer pay due to financial changes in our lives,in fact we are in contact with our mortgage holders as to how to give the house back in the least troublesome manner....

You are one of millions in the same boat...the boat is sinking I think.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
We pay minimums,have for over a year now...we are now in the situation that we can no longer pay due to financial changes in our lives,in fact we are in contact with our mortgage holders as to how to give the house back in the least troublesome manner....

You are one of millions in the same boat...the boat is sinking I think.
Just curious, will the stimulus housing refinance options help your situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies