Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:20 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply there's a complete lack of Asian males out there. You do have a number of them outside the stereotypical realm, such as Robert Kiyosaki (r/e investor) and Ming Tsai (chef) on PBS shows. It's just disproportionately low and disproportionately ignored. Again, I hesitate to cry racism, b/c I've been of the view that when that term is thrown around flippantly, it dilutes the power of the term. But many omissions are glaring, particularly on medical dramas.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:18 PM

35 posts, read 151,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply there's a complete lack of Asian males out there. You do have a number of them outside the stereotypical realm, such as Robert Kiyosaki (r/e investor) and Ming Tsai (chef) on PBS shows. It's just disproportionately low and disproportionately ignored. Again, I hesitate to cry racism, b/c I've been of the view that when that term is thrown around flippantly, it dilutes the power of the term. But many omissions are glaring, particularly on medical dramas.
Oh, absolutely!

I also believe that there are a number of Asian males that do in fact make attempts to employ themselves in TV and movies. I've seen some state that the lack of Asian or Asian male presence is due to a lack of interest on their part. I don't believe that at all.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 11,024 times
Lightbulb Sad but true

I'm a black female and as of late I've been touring the web and finding all these surprising statistics, articles, and other types of documentation basically stating that Asian men and Black females are getting the short straw in the draw for mates/dates.

It seems in recent years interracial relationships are on definite high, the problem is the preferred couples are white males and Asian females and black men and anything not black, haha.

What I think the problem is that women as a whole look for the strongest mate (not just physically; intellectual, spiritual, etc); and men as a whole like women who appeal to their dominance, so a women that is delicate looking and submissive to an extent. Asian women are seen as the most feminine as a woman can get, then there's white women and then black women are seen as not feminine enough. Black males are seen as the strongest and most viral males, then white men, and then Asian men are thought as not masculine enough. So black women are too masculine and Asian men are too feminine.

I'm not saying Asian men are like girls, but they're usually less developed than most men. They have the builds of teenagers all the way into their 40's. They are also usually very pretty, and though to me that is sexy, most women like men that are rough looking. (But I'd choose brain over brawn any day.)

Also, Asian men aren't assertive. They don't take charge in relationships, nor do they ask women out. This is a turn off for most women and also makes women think that they aren't interested. They need to stop getting into the friend zone and say what they feel.

Plus, there is the fact that most Asian men like specific women and usually don't stray from that type of woman (it might be a myth or a stereotype, but that is what I've heard.) They've been raised to think fair skin, delicateness, and submissive attitudes are ideal. So, the fact that they don't even try, most of them, is another reason why most women won't date them. Most women think their unavailable because Asian men give the impression that they are exclusive about who they date.

All I'm saying is that yes Asian men have it bad when it comes to dating, but they aren't the only ones and if they make more of an effort they might have more success.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:54 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Brains not brawny ... I like that! Out of all the posts I've read, I think you made your point the most "fairly" without making the post sound so negative against Asian men and I just wanted to point out that I appreciate that. It was hard reading some of the posts b'c I think of my brothers and they are nothing like what some of these posters wrote.

I definitely see your point. I married a white guy and was always turned off by the type of Asian men you described b'c they were so scrawny, delicate-looking and I weighed more than half of them! hehe I do want to point out though, there are plentiful of Asian men who don't fit that stereotypical description. They are not easy to find but my two bros are perfect examples.

I may have married a white guy but I'm hardly submissive. In fact, I'm quite domineering and control the family finances even though he's the breadwinner. I'm also the ones that make the complaints to companies when something goes wrong and takes charge in a situation when it goes awry. I do see what you mean though and if my husband was looking for a woman like that, I would not be it!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 15,542 times
Default Why not

I am a black female who like asian men. Why would you think it has anything to do with race these days it really does not.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I don't know if I would believe that. Don't they make different sizes of condoms? (Also don't know if I would believe that about Asian men.)
Perhaps he has personal experience.

Perhaps the asian males are at a disadvantage, but it has certainly gotten better and will get more even in the coming years. Thankfully people are getting a better grip on race differences.

I remember in 1980 going to meet this gorgeous brunette who worked as a hostess at a popular bar and restaurant in Berkeley, CA. I didn't think I was going to make it back to the car because ALL the rednecks were giving me some very threatening stares.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:08 PM

746 posts, read 846,416 times
I had some Asian female friends in Boston, that stated they would never date another asian. They preferred to date, white and black males. In thinking about interracial relationships, i've rarely seen an Asian male with a white or black girl, but i've seen the opposite more times than i can count. I think in terms of dating out of their race Asian males are definitely at a huge disadvantage. However, Asian females do not seem to have much of a problem dating interracially. Although, i had an Asian male friend complain about the quality of guys Asian girls would "settle" for in other races lol.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Hmmm I am a white male married to an asian female. I go to asian web sights also. Their are plenty of threads with but one purpose. To villify any asian female who dates or marries outside of their race. The thread starters are always asian males.LOL go figure.
My experience in the asian world is from the outside looking in for the most part. Most asian males I know are quiet almost interverted unless with other asian males and in private. They do have a great sense of humor but hide it while in public. Well women want to have fun and laugh. Its hard to break the ice when you won't show what and who you are.
In short they create their own disadvantage in this regard.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
I just read a post on interracial dating and marriage which prompted me to come up with this idea.
Asian males seem to be at disadvantage.Being Asian is okay,but being Asian male is not that great.
Will white/black/hispanic females take Asian males into account when it comes to dating and marriage?
One of my best buddies is living with an Asian male! She falls into your white/black/hispanic category.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:51 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,296 times
as a disgruntled asian male heheheh i say asian females have it easy. since asian females are seen as exotic trophies.

Its just NOT the same attitude for Asian guys is it heheh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies