Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 06:34 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,194,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Oh for the love of god. How many times do people need to be told it is not the dog but the dog owner. A lot people who have a pit bull are not responsible dog owners, they get a pit bull because it is "known" to be an attack dog, so they train it to attack, which is unfair to the dog. I owned two pit bulls until they were old and died on me. I miss them to this day. They were the best dogs I ever owned and I have two children (both teens) and they were raised with our pit bulls. Not once did I have an issue with my dogs.

If you are aggressive with any dog they will be aggressive with you or others. Look at the attack a Sheppard did to a little boy, the boy died from the attack. It was most unfortunate but do we ban Sheppard's now? do police stop using them? do the blind stop using them? No, because there are a few bad dogs in any breed does not mean you ban that breed. You hear a lot about pit bulls because people are afraid of them and want to make a case out of them.
People are afraid of them BECAUSE of what they hear about them...so you had pitbulls who didn't do anything...the fact that you risked your kids lives to prove a point is awful!!! But what about the pitbulls who DO maim and kill.....

You are right about ignorant owners but that only proves NO one should own a pitbull as there are no laws governing who can own them!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2009, 06:36 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,134,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Like I said, these people cannot be reached with reason. They always have some excuse for their dog being OK. That children are killed all the time by this one breed makes no difference to them.
A great thread and a real eye opener for me. When I was in college I got a Doberman which lead to my involvement with the Deutscher Verband der Gebrauchshundsportvereine or DVG for short which is an organization dedicated to training work breed dogs in protection, tracking and obedience. Being young and rather athletic I got picked to work decoy during the protection phase which required suiting up in one of those kevlar reenforced michelin suits that you see at police dog demonstrations. As a result, I've been attacked by German Shepherds, Dobermans, Bouviers, Boxers, a Bernese Mountain Dog, and one hell of a sweet 140 lbs Rottweiler named Bully. All of these dogs had been bred for temperament which means in this case that the dogs were very sociable and even tempered.

But having said that, all of the breed of dogs that were eligible for this type of training were all work breeds, dogs raised to work alongside humans. But even still I never was of the opinion that breed specific regulation was necessary. The posted statistical information has made me rethink that idea.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,185,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
NO one should own a pitbull as there are no laws governing who can own them!!!!!!!
I could make any dog as aggressive as you want it to be, should we ban Labradors, Sheppards, Rottweilers, or any other large dog breed that would be capable of killing someone... That's where you're missing the point, each and everyone of those dogs can be trained or if palced in a bad enviroment will be just as viscious as a pit bull.

This is what will happen if it pit bulls are banned. The bad owners of these dogs will move onto another breed and we'll be having this discussion about that breed down the road.

FYI I've been around dogs my entire life. Many types and many different owners. The single worst dog I ever encountered was a labrador.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,134,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I could make any dog as aggressive as you want it to be,
In my experience I can't agree. Some dogs are just plain submissive and no amount of egging will get them to be anything else. Every individual dog has its own distinct personality, and just like humans, you can lead them to a fight but some will just run. And some breeds are simply more submissive than others.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:10 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,637,063 times
Pit Bulls are bred (not trained!)to lock their jaws on their hunting prey, which is low to the ground such as wild hogs. Never advisable around children (low to the ground or playing on the floor).

Old 04-25-2009, 07:13 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,637,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A great thread and a real eye opener for me. When I was in college I got a Doberman which lead to my involvement with the Deutscher Verband der Gebrauchshundsportvereine or DVG for short which is an organization dedicated to training work breed dogs in protection, tracking and obedience. Being young and rather athletic I got picked to work decoy during the protection phase which required suiting up in one of those kevlar reenforced michelin suits that you see at police dog demonstrations. As a result, I've been attacked by German Shepherds, Dobermans, Bouviers, Boxers, a Bernese Mountain Dog, and one hell of a sweet 140 lbs Rottweiler named Bully.
Interesting hobby. Not the usual college stuff.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:18 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,154,931 times
okay but one must understand that a german sheppard or a rottie or a dobie cannot lock their jaws on their prey and therefore can be made to let go . I had a vet tell me that the pits have to almost have their jaw broken in order for it to let go . Also pit bulls snap and go off and can maim and kill a child are you willing to put your childs life at risk for that assurance that your pit wont go off ? does anyone here watch Judge Joe Brown ? and how many times he has had people in front of him that were sure their pit would not hurt a fly ? and then it attacks a child . sorry but I am not willing to stake a childs life on that or the life of anyone on that . and if a judge thinks those particular breed are physco his words , not mine that is good enough for me . no trying to offend anyone just saying think before you act on something .

Old 04-25-2009, 07:29 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,301,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay but one must understand that a german sheppard or a rottie or a dobie cannot lock their jaws on their prey and therefore can be made to let go . I had a vet tell me that the pits have to almost have their jaw broken in order for it to let go . Also pit bulls snap and go off and can maim and kill a child are you willing to put your childs life at risk for that assurance that your pit wont go off ? does anyone here watch Judge Joe Brown ? and how many times he has had people in front of him that were sure their pit would not hurt a fly ? and then it attacks a child . sorry but I am not willing to stake a childs life on that or the life of anyone on that . and if a judge thinks those particular breed are physco his words , not mine that is good enough for me . no trying to offend anyone just saying think before you act on something .

I have had a Pitt mix and a Golden Retriever. The Pitt used to run and keep my 2 year old nephew away from the street whenever he made a break towards it. He NEVER showed aggression towards children, in fact kids loved him because he would lick and play with them. The Golden has on several occasions, in fact yesterday, growled and gotten ready to nip at my 17 month old daughter.

Once again if anyone would remove their head from their butt, it's not the breed it's how you raise the dog. So save the BULLS$%T that they are a violent breed.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,185,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In my experience I can't agree. Some dogs are just plain submissive and no amount of egging will get them to be anything else.
Every dog has it's own character even within breeds. The early months are the most important and the repetition of the same environment during those months will have a very important role in how it develops. If for example you have a dog that is beaten constantly you'll completely break it down into submission and it's going to be afraid of just about anyone.

On the other hand if you have a dog and constantly antagonize it from the time its a pup that dog will be a danger to anyone it's around including the owner.

There is a significant difference between the two but I'm not going to go into detail.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:53 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,254,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Pit Bulls are bred (not trained!)to lock their jaws on their hunting prey, which is low to the ground such as wild hogs. Never advisable around children (low to the ground or playing on the floor).
Lock jaw theory.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.