Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 AM

799 posts, read 1,452,343 times

Advertisements

I don't think any insurance company can stay in business without covering their costs. People that have poor health or are older are a risk and will cost the company money down the road. We need to fix our current healthcare system to bring down costs so insurance companies aren't forced to hit their customers in the head. Hospitals are a big part of the problem. It's cheaper to stay in a luxury hotel than to stay in a hospital room. Doctors are another problem. I spend more time waiting for the doctor than I do actually being checked up. We also need to help find ways to cut down the costs of medicine in the U.S. I've been the victim of sticker shock a few times at the pharmacy. If we work to cut costs then our health insurance providers can cut their costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,343,943 times
I was wondering if illegal immigrants would be entitled to free health care under Obama's plan. That would not surprise me a bit!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:33 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,274,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I don't think any insurance company can stay in business without covering their costs.
It's not the cost, it's the profits.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,991,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was wondering if illegal immigrants would be entitled to free health care under Obama's plan. That would not surprise me a bit!
Opposing a reform using a whole another issue is obstruction by way of distraction, and makes for an unhealthy discussion of an otherwise serious topic.

Illegal immigration should be treated as an issue on its own, not abused as an excuse for any kind of reform from which the nation and its people benefit.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:38 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
We could use Nationalized Healthcare system in which the middle men are replaced by an expanded and reformed medicare. In other words, our taxes pay the premium and a single payer is responsible for handling the payments to the doctors and hospitals.

This plan is favored by most doctors (based on a survey, 59% support it, only 32% oppose it), and American Medical Association, to avoid red tape infested system that exists today, which is not only expensive but also abuses people. This would also guarantee healthcare coverage to all Americans. It is a winning situation for all but the middle men and people who would fight till the end for them, the latter primarily those bought over by the big corporations (a lot of politicians) and self-defeaters who take talking points from the politicians/media and dance around as puppets, repeating the rhetoric, in the hands of these crooks.

A plan like this would also benefit small businesses that can't afford to pay big bucks for their employees and often lose the battle to corporations. It is the way to be fiscally responsible while accomplishing welfare and good will of the people for which the government stands, not to the corporations, and help businesses be more competitive in a global free market system. Our founding fathers would be proud.
I think this sounds promising. Has anyone in office discussed such a plan?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 AM

140 posts, read 544,870 times
Perhaps an expanded medicare system is a solution - somehow the 40-50 uninsured have to be brought into the system and PAY their share.

No one is suggesting free heathcare.

The young and healthy need to be part of the system - required to pay their share - other wise you end up with just sick people in the system.

Pre-existing condition exclusions must also be eliminated. Currently these people can not even get insurance and end up financally destitute.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 AM

799 posts, read 1,452,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It's not the cost, it's the profits.

Good point. I'm sure there is an insurance company that is trying to gain market share and offering better plans for less money. Maybe we all need to shop around to see if we are getting the best bang for our buck.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,991,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I think this sounds promising. Has anyone in office discussed such a plan?
I believe Dr Fein participated in Obama's Healthcare Summit last week and he is a proponent of the plan. Obama hasn't committed to any plan yet and is asking for ideas at this time (I expect his presidency to have this wonderful flavor that many don't seem to recognize). It could very well be Dr Fein's idea in the end.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,919,544 times
the day it passes, universal health care, there will be a giant sucking sound as 1000's of 55+ run for the door at work. only reason they are there is health care benefits. wait til you see their replacements. work ethic, what is that?

Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,766,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerbiker View Post
I'm a fiscally conservative republican who finally belives it's time for national heathcare care. My health insurance rates have increased 50% in 2 years. Being self-employed, I'm at the mercy of my health insurance provider. My deductible is $2500 and yearly out of pocket $4500. Deductibles so high - I'm afraid to get sick! This is losey insurance for which I pay a huge premium. Recently had an accident and now I spend hours, reading endless paperwork and trying to get my insurance company to pay my bills!

The current system is BROKEN. 40-50 million uninsured (for which we all pay higher premiums). Most advanced country on earth and we are not providing good medical care for our citizens. So much money is wasted on the billing process instead of paying doctors. Insurance company lobbyists are trying to maintain the current system.

Being a fiscal conservative - I despise bigger government - but we need a change - a better system to provide healthcare in this country!

Anyone else think it's time for a change?
I'm curious, how will a society that can't afford to pay for its current health care somehow be able to afford to pay for the same health care and an inherently inefficient government bureaucracy to run it? I'm not necessarily trying to be a sarcastic 'obstructionist' here, if you have good answers, I'd surely like to read them. To me, it doesn't make much sense, especially considering that we have to ration the health care somehow, be it through a system of queues or a system of prices (or is there another form of rationing that I am missing?). We very well might get national health care, and to that I say "be careful what you wish for." I too am a fiscal conservative, and thus resent any increase in the size of government on principle, but that doesn't mean that it's not the right thing to do in certain circumstances. If somebody could come up with a government system that was efficient and didn't compromise the freedom and privacy of the individual, that also wasn't disproportionately beneficial to one demographic of Americans at the cost of another (thus it would have to be fair, and not represent tyranny of the majority), then I say "go for it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies