Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:08 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times

Advertisements

I am interested to read what you propose and how it would be paid for.

Also would it be madatory or could people opt out?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 10:10 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
I opt out.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:54 AM

746 posts, read 3,500,429 times
I don't propose any particular national health plan, but do think it is time to start discussing one in a rational manner. The current system is not very cost-effficient, nor is it giving many of us us very good health care.

I fully expect there will be much debate, and that the entrenched interests who make money under the currrent system will do everything in their power to make sure an intelligent discussion never takes place.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:00 AM

Well so far the system being proposed is....a bit minimalist.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
I'd say create an all-access government sponsored health insurance. Insurance of America, IoA, is a plan designed to replace Medicaid, Medicare and provide insurance to anybody (and dependents) with a job. For those who cannot work for themselves, the premium will be taken out of the caretaker's pay - much like a child's premium comes out of the parent's check.

IoA is an Insurance Plan meant to compete in the free Market. If you want to stick with your private insurance, then you do so without the burden of taking care of somebody else.

As for premiums, 3% of your income gets taken off for yourself. If you have a working spouse, the spouse pays 3% of their income. If your spouse is not working, add 2% for that spouse. Add 1% per child. If both parents are working, the percent is split in half and .5% comes out of each parent's check. For those who get cash under the table, they can pay their percent when they file income taxes or send a check via certified mail.

Insurance of America (from here called IoA) would pay for routine doctor and dentist visits each year. When it comes to the Eye Doctor, the insurance will pay for frames up to a certain amount and the BASIC lens for glasses. Anything extra will come out of pocket - contacts are out of pocket. Doctor visits for colds, flu, or other "sick" problems (stomache hurts, etc) will cost $10 - that way a parent is less likely to medicate their doctor with Rx strength vice OTC Cough Syrup.

Emergency Room care will only be paid for if the "emergency" is deemed an actual emergency. Bringing your child to the ER because he/she sneezed will cost you - and if you don't pay, the money will be taken out of your paycheck with a 1% increase in money taken out.

If you get fired - you have 2 months to find a new job. If you get laid off - you have 3 months to find a job. If you quit - you have 2 weeks to find a job. However, during those grace periods, you (and your kids) will maintain coverage for free. Past the grace period, you will not lose your insurance, but half of your percentage deduction will be tacked on for double the amount of time past the grace period *to make up for the missed time without hurting income too badly*. However, once you have a new job, you must keep it for at least 6 months - penalty being re-compensating the Gov't during the time without a job with a 1% increase (per person covered) taken out for the next 3 months of your next job.

If in 1 year time, you do not get a job, you forfeit all coverage and will not be eligible until spending at least 6 months at a job.
Or at least what I just copied out of a post of mine from like a week or two ago..

Basically - as said, it's an all-access insurance plan designed to compete with the free market.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM

Will this percentage pay for everyone's care?

And how do you make someone pay for emergency care that turns out NOT to be???

What of those who cause the health problems?
Do smokers pay more?
What about the overweight?
Those who enjoy extreme sports?
Risky personal behavior?
Drug users?

Thanks for providing an answer.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Well, the percents are based off of somebody's pay. Many many people like myself would end up paying and paying without using it. I go to the doctor one time a year.

How do I make somebody pay for emergency care with this system? Increase the premium to cover the costs.

If a person causes injury to another purposely, then their insurance should be taking care of the problem (much like car insurance) - if it's the causer doesn't have insurance - then a person on IoA will still get taken care of. That's what insurance is supposed to be for.

As for the rest, the government should not be trying to dictate what is "risky" and should not be done.

Some people smoke and get smoking related problems. What about non-smokers who end up with lung cancer?? Should they be treated like "closet smokers"?

Most professional "Extreme Sports" athletes get treated for their sports injuries through the team. Other than that, they still deserve to get treated for non-sports related injuries.

Essentially, the plan I'm suggesting is that if you pay, you get taken care of no matter what.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 PM

And another addition, who is anybody to deem what is and isn't risky behavior? To some, driving to and from work is risky business. To others, cycling in big cities is risky behavior.

Stairs can be considered risky. Apparently cellphone usage increases radiation with increases cancer risks - should cellphone users be denied coverage for cancer?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:12 PM

The reason I asked is some of those who pay in to your system will get more out of it an dcould actually cause great problems.

If someone with heart problems receives treatment but continues their lifestyle that led to their health problems what would happen?

Does everyone get one heart transplant per life?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
And another addition, who is anybody to deem what is and isn't risky behavior? To some, driving to and from work is risky business. To others, cycling in big cities is risky behavior.

Stairs can be considered risky. Apparently cellphone usage increases radiation with increases cancer risks - should cellphone users be denied coverage for cancer?
Well this would seem to be an issue,what happens when people start to cost more than they contribute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies