Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:40 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,700,606 times

Advertisements

At least something went right tonight. Now if we could just teach people how to vote for the right president!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,077,969 times
I live in an Amazing state. In one night, we can elect the farthest left president in US history and simultaneously crush the civil rights of a group of generally law abiding tax-paying citizens. Interesting.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:54 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,929,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I live in an Amazing state. In one night, we can elect the farthest left president in US history and simultaneously crush the civil rights of a group of generally law abiding tax-paying citizens. Interesting.
That's because there is a temporary alliance between Latinos and liberal Democrats. Doesn't mean that they agree with every liberal policy. The liberals can only blame themselves for their enthusiasm for multiculturalism.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:04 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,976,010 times
I bet it gets under the Starbucks sipping liberals skin that the "evil White evangelicals" do not have a monopoly on being anti-gay marriage.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,689,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Blame these people for taking a away a gay Californian's right to same sex marriage.

After all when it comes to the issue of gay marriage, they are not as socially liberal as their Starbucks sipping California Anglo counterparts.
this is stupid. it wasnt mariachis. or what you think they represent!!! what a bigot you are. it was not a mariachi/mexican that propelled this vote. it was the catholic, evangelical, black church, looney tunes LDS, religious people who pushed this. thats who it was.

what i dont understand tho is how is it that the abortion/womans rights prop 4 is failing, but this gay thing isnt?

i dont understand.

maybe when 100% of the votes are tallied it will be different.

i guess the focus becomes equalizing domestic partnership and marriage. make them equal. seperate. hetero=marriage; homo=dom part.
but i thought we were past the whole separate but equal discussion.

i really think it was the religious vote that passed this prop.
the catholic churches really pushed this. christian ones. store front fundamentalist ones.

i really want to see the expanded results of all these props.

how did california vote?
north v south?
asians v. brown v. black v. white?
male v. female?
rep v. dem?

cant wait.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,480,890 times
I'm really shocked that it passed... my husband and I thought for sure that it wouldn't pass... guess I was WRONG...

Old 11-05-2008, 12:34 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,646,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Thats what I am wondering.....The same state that pushed Obama over the 270 mark, is also the same state that took away Gay Rights!! IMO sounds like Hypocracy! Shame on you California!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 AM

472 posts, read 1,546,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

i really want to see the expanded results of all these props.

how did california vote?
north v south?
asians v. brown v. black v. white?
male v. female?
rep v. dem?

cant wait.
Here you go: Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 11-05-2008, 12:56 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,646,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post

It looks like the majority that voted yes were black and latino. The blacks are screaming racism when they cant have one of their own as president, now they do, yet they wont allow gays to marry? Talk about being two faced and hypocritical. All I can say is Karmas a bit*h!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,787,798 times
I believe that marriage in general is not a constitutional right. With that said, there may be state rights that have been mandated. I'm not sure. However, it was my belief that the issue revolved around the specification of marriage as outlined in religious and legal terms. If someone can cite some information to help clarify the definitions of marriage and if it specifically indicated a union between a man and a woman, it might help here.

Nonetheless, where I am going with this is that I came to the understanding that those 'representing' the gay community were not interested in a union that was defined as gay marriage with the same legal equivalent to marriage. It was my understanding that they wanted marriage to encompass a union between a man and a woman; a woman and a woman; and a man and a man. Not something separately defined even if that 'new' definition had the same exact equivalent as the legal term of marriage (provided the legal term specifically outlines a marriage being a union between a man and woman only).

So, citing the legal definition might help here. I do understand, if my understanding is correct (as noted above), if those who represent the gay community (and the gay community at large) would not be interested in having a separate definition for gay marriage. A separate definition could mean complete equivalent now, but changes to one and not the other could make it not equivalent later. I would understand that since lawyers have a tendency to muck things up at times.

Anyway, the real issue is whether or not people accept homosexuality as a lifestyle. There are varying degrees of acceptance and tolerance too. It's certainly not an accepted lifestyle by everyone, including the religious community that have a great influence on politicians and possess huge voting power.

Including same sex marriage into the definition of marriage is a tough nut to swallow for a large part of the American population. Let's face it, sex in general is an uncomfortable topic for a large part of the American population. But I think the issue itself has come a long way in a positive direction.

If the proposition is getting defeated by the California voters, I for one must respect the choice they made. I may not agree or disagree with them, but there have been many a proposition I voted for/against that did not go my way. I liked/didn't like the outcome, but I have always respected the final outcome. Tomorrow is another day. And gay unions will not either, no matter what anyone thinks or desires.

I don't live in California anymore, so I didn't have the opportunity to vote on the issue. Ultimately, no matter what your sexual orientation, if two people care, love and support each other in committed long term relationship, they should be treated with the utmost respect and enjoy the same rights, privileges and/or benefits of any other couple who displays reverence for such a committed union.

Good luck and best wishes to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies