Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 11:17 AM

532 posts, read 911,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Marriage has always been defined as 1 Man and 1 Woman.

If you are liberal, would you want everyone to start calling you a conservative?

Words have meanings and traditional significance, if we start redefining every word, pretty soon communication will mean nothing.

I believe the extreme gay activists truely wish to dismantle traditional families and corrupt the meanings and morality of society in order to make them feel better about themselves, the extreme's have turned violent and very selfish in their endevours to change the majority of society to fit their personal choices.

And that's part of why Prop 8 was successful in California, and similar constitutional ammendments were passed in Florida and Arizona

freedom
So on the one hand, you're saying that this whole battle is about grammar.

On the other hand, you're saying that gays are trying to dismantle heterosexual families. This is simply not true. Gay people don't want to take away your rights. They don't want to change your freedom to disapprove of homosexuality. In fact, they really aren't thinking of you in any way.
All they want is the ability to marry their significant other, to receive the same government benefits as heterosexual couples and to be taken seriously as a family unit.
I'm straight and unmarried and I can tell you first hand that people don't have the same reaction when you say "my boyfriend" as they would if I said "my husband". I can't share my benefits with him and if he gets sick, I will not be allowed to visit him in the hospital. I don't get a tax break even though we live together. I will only be able to get these things if we get married. If I was gay, I wouldn't even have that choice. How is that not a matter of civil rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 11:20 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,415,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Ok, then how about if we strip "Marriage" of all gov't benefits. Heteros can keep it. We will define a new Civil Union which will be the only means to acquiring gov't benefits and will be available to all kinds of couples.

I don't know, the whole "protecting the meaning of the word Marriage" argument is really stupid to me. I mean, in the past interracial couples couldn't marry, now they can. In the past women had no say in who they married, now they do. The definition of marriage has changed over time, it isn't static. I don't see how it harms any straight person for a gay couple to marry. It really doesn't.
Until I hear an argument that makes sense, I will continue to think of this as bigotry.
Why would you want to do that? why not just expand the civil union to include the rights you want? If that was the case the gays would have gained support but not if you were screaming Bigot, that only shows your intolerance and closed mind towards others beliefs. In light of the protests on church's this will only strengthen the yes vote and change the minds of many to the real reason behind the gay aggenda.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:22 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,462,590 times
What ever happened to getting the government out of the bedroom? By refusing "civil unions", by any name, the government is declaring, in effect, that two applicants shall have the right to the civil benefits of a union if and only if they prove their qualifications for said civil benefits. There is only one qualification accepted by the state: inserting the penis of one of the supplicants into the vagina of the other supplicant. How did that become the state's business?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:26 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,165,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Why would you want to do that? why not just expand the civil union to include the rights you want?
"Separate but equal" is not equal, though.

Quote:
If that was the case the gays would have gained support but not if you were screaming Bigot, that only shows your intolerance and closed mind towards others beliefs.
Ah, the 'you should tolerate intolerance' argument. Really doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:
In light of the protests on church's this will only strengthen the yes vote and change the minds of many to the real reason behind the gay aggenda.
It's telling that you're saying "gay agenda" as though it's something nefarious.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:26 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,653,900 times
Talking Schwarzenegger Says Court Will Intervene on Prop 8

Governor Schwarzenegger gave a lengthy interview to CNN this morning. Arnold expressed exasperation with the Prop 8 vote & dismissed it as "regretful." Schwarzenegger did repeat twice that the California Supreme court will "take care of it" due to obvious constitutional concerns.

These were strong statements from a Republican governor & should be viewed as GOOD NEWS for human rights.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:30 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,777,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Why would you want to do that? why not just expand the civil union to include the rights you want? If that was the case the gays would have gained support but not if you were screaming Bigot, that only shows your intolerance and closed mind towards others beliefs. In light of the protests on church's this will only strengthen the yes vote and change the minds of many to the real reason behind the gay aggenda.
You're saying that because some fringe groups are screaming "bigot", you're going to punish all same-sex couples.

It's ironic that you're labeling gays as "intolerant" and "closed-minded". Which side voted to restrict freedom and choice? Which side voted to remove rights for a certain group of people who weren't harming anyone? It wasn't the "No on 8" crowd; it was the "Yes on 8" crowd. Now THAT is intolerant and closed-minded.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:36 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,036,434 times
It's ironic that Obama's biggest supporters were blacks. They voted for him around 90% of the time.

These same folks voted for Proposition 8, 70% in favor of. That's what tipped the scales.

People make the mistake of thinking the Democatic vote is 100% a conservative/liberal dynamic.

It's not, there is a minority vs white component as well. Most blacks are low information voters like your GOP base is. They vote for their "group".

It just goes right over their heads that they are voting for Government prejudice against a small minority group, just as they had happen to them years ago.

What needs to happen is for Black leaders,...Obama first and foremost.,.need to come out and make forcefull statements in support of equal rights for gays.

Blacks have to hear it from one of their own before they will change.

** Also, I think it is fair game now for gays to picket and protest these churches that led the effort to take their rights away. They've got alot of nerve thinking they can bankroll this propositon and then go back to Church the next Sunday after the election like nothing happened. If it were me, and it's not (straight and in Texas) I'd handcuff myself to the front pew and raise holy hell at any church that helped nullify my marriage.

Right wing "Christians" just may have a tiger by the tail. They won this battle but the War has just begun.

Last edited by padcrasher; 11-09-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 11:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,080,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
How can they have the same rights? They are not comparable to a Marriage between 1 man and 1 woman.

freedom
Sorry, I disagree...and please answer my question, how gays wanting the benefits of marriage translates into,” would love to destroy the traditional and moral family values.”

Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,036,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Sorry, I disagree...and please answer my question, how gays wanting the benefits of marriage translates into,” would love to destroy the traditional and moral family values.”

Like in Massachusetts where gay marriage is legal, and they have the lowest divorce rate in the Nation. http://www.divorcereform.org/94staterates.html

Last edited by padcrasher; 11-09-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 11:59 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,777,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyka View Post
Why do we care? Because there are little minds in this world called KIDS. I do not want my kids thinking its ok to marriage same sex and be taught this in schools. I could care less about two gays wanting to be together. But when u want to change the law and teach this in schools, hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So what about the kids with gay parents? You want to send them the message that Mommy or Daddy is a deviant, or maybe even, a criminal?

And what about the kids who turn out gay? Do you want them to believe that they are second-class citizens, and that their heterosexual classmates are superior to them? It sure sounds like you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies