Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 AM

56 posts, read 161,866 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me the difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion? Do they mean the same thing?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:57 AM

117 posts, read 412,081 times
No. China is pro-abortion, where the government actively wants pregnant women to get abortions and asks them to do so, and pays for it. Pro choice is where the government takes a neutral position and may or may not pay for it.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:19 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,226,258 times
Semantics!

==========

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy View Post
Can someone please explain to me the difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion? Do they mean the same thing?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:43 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,752,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, comparing the Peterson case with this subject seems off-topic to me. I am not a member of any jurisprudence team, had no knowledge nor did I follow this trial, and have no idea whatsoever how it was determined to include the unborn child in the case. My only reference to this was in response to MoMark's viability data. Is this sufficient for you; it is for me!
Actually, I think it is quite ON topic. If the jury has convicted Scott of murder in the death of his unborn child, then the jury is placing the responsibility of providing protection for the unborn child and anyone who violates that right to life is guilty of a crime. Let me explain that I'm not anti-abortion. However, I believe this throws a bit of a monkey wrench into the pro-choice argument since it is still part of the woman's body and the government should have no say, which is the pro-choicers' typical argument.

I believe the pro-choicers' woman's body argument is a fallacy in that most so-called pro-choicers' will not agree that she should have the right to abort the fetus/baby for sex selection or convenience, even up until the umbilical cord is cut, which, in effect severs the bodily connection with the mother.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,284,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy View Post
Yes, they mean the exact same thing. Pro-choice is the poltically correct term. Also, it doesn't sound very "nice" to say pro-abortion. People do not want to cop to the fact that they are pro abortion so someone made this term up and it has stuck. It kind of cleans up the ugliness of the term for those so inclined to be in favor of abortion.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 PM

4,584 posts, read 12,420,652 times
First...For you guys as Ross Perot (SP) said..."It's her body her choice"

Second...anyone not old enough to be "of age" prior to Roe vs Wade...step away from the plate...You get to choose, we did not. You have no idea what it was like prior to a choice being available.

Third....I was a nurse prior to Roe vs Wade, I saw what happened professionally and personally. I lost friends and patients.

Lastly....Any of you who REALLY belive abortion should not be available. YOU have to step up to the plate financially and emotionally for each child and see it thru college. Not me or anyone else. There are plenty of young women who for what ever reason have CHOSEN not to have an abortion...so for each of you who REALLY belive..."show us the money...show us the emotional support" So until each and every child has the support from you belivers and NOT the government there should be a CHOICE

Keep the government away from my body, from my right to choose. If men were the one's having babies this would never be an issue because birth control options would certainly be much better today.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

Second...anyone not old enough to be "of age" prior to Roe vs Wade...step away from the plate...You get to choose, we did not. You have no idea what it was like prior to a choice being available.

Third....I was a nurse prior to Roe vs Wade, I saw what happened professionally and personally. I lost friends and patients.

Lastly....Any of you who REALLY belive abortion should not be available. YOU have to step up to the plate financially and emotionally for each child and see it thru college. Not me or anyone else. There are plenty of young women who for what ever reason have CHOSEN not to have an abortion...so for each of you who REALLY belive..."show us the money...show us the emotional support" So until each and every child has the support from you belivers and NOT the government there should be a CHOICE

Keep the government away from my body, from my right to choose. If men were the one's having babies this would never be an issue because birth control options would certainly be much better today.
So, at what exact point during the birthing process is the right to choose ended and government protection for the child begun, in your opinion?

Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,284,623 times
What are you talking about? The unwanted baby can be put up for adoption and the biological mother assumes no further responsibility. Other than the "incovenience" of being pregant for nine-months there is really no financial responsibility. And as far as emotions, I would much rather know I had a child out there that I never knew, than to know I ended my child's life.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 PM

2,815 posts, read 13,029,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

Another illogical argument that places the issue of life and death on affordability and tries to shift blame for immoral personal decisions away from the woman who makes them. You should never have been a nurse with that attitude. I'd have locked the hospital door to keep you out and God forbid you ever had children.
So kill the kid if you can't pay for his education through college. Maybe we should set old nurses on ice floes to die if we can't afford to pay for their medical care and they're no longer adding to society.... Adoption? You mean there's an alternative to murder?
Hmmmm, some nurse. And no, it's not your choice because that infant is not your body and should not be your choice.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
So, at what exact point during the birthing process is the right to choose ended and government protection for the child begun, in your opinion?
As usual, no pro-choicer is willing to answer this question. I imagine that's because they are afraid of being revealed to be more of a feminist instead of a right to choose advocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies