Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:10 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,166,708 times

Advertisements

South Dakota is putting up their anti-abortion bill with some changes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070211/ap_on_re_us/sdakota_abortion (broken link)

I wonder how folks feel about this "hot button" topic!

I'll say right up front, I am in favour of choice. I am not in favour of encouraging abortion, but I want that choice to remain on the table for each and every woman if she feels it is appropriate for her. Not my body; not my choice: hers!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Well, it appears Portugal, too, is taking the pulse of abortion rights!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070211/ap_on_re_eu/portugal_abortion (broken link)

Old 02-11-2007, 04:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,206,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
South Dakota is putting up their anti-abortion bill with some changes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070211/ap_on_re_us/sdakota_abortion (broken link)

I wonder how folks feel about this "hot button" topic!

I'll say right up front, I am in favour of choice. I am not in favour of encouraging abortion, but I want that choice to remain on the table for each and every woman if she feels it is appropriate for her. Not my body; not my choice: hers!
It's murder and should be ended. The fallacy that has been presented is that pro-life folks want to "take away a woman's right to choose" baloney! We would not deny someone's right to choose; however, the option cannot be murder! Since 1973 the US has legalized murder. It will end soon thank God Almighty!

Old 02-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks for sharing. I wish you'd share as an opinion rather than a dictate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
It's murder and should be ended. The fallacy that has been presented is that pro-life folks want to "take away a woman's right to choose" baloney! We would not deny someone's right to choose; however, the option cannot be murder! Since 1973 the US has legalized murder. It will end soon thank God Almighty!

Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,111,655 times
I support a woman's right to choose.
I have never participated in an abortion thread which ended all that well.
So I will quietly bow out now.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks for stopping by, though, and expressing your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I support a woman's right to choose.
I have never participated in an abortion thread which ended all that well.
So I will quietly bow out now.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:25 PM

2,815 posts, read 13,005,515 times
I think abortion must only be performed in the event that a mother is personally at great risk, a state of risk that actually threatens her life. I'm also in favor of any risk being verified by two doctors at the very least who sign affidavits attesting to that risk and specifically what it is, the exception being a clear emergency situation where the doctor must make an immediate decision based on the situation at hand. In all cases, the mother's health comes first, but I think the risk to her health must be verified, involve an actual threat to her life, stated in detail, and attested to by at least two physicians because the gravity of an abortion is too severe to treat as just another in-office medical procedure.

I think women who are raped or victims of pregnancy by incest must be given the option to abort in the first trimester. I would support that simply because they are victims of crime through no fault of their own.

In any other cases, I personally feel abortion is tantamount to murder and it appalls me that women who are the nurturer givers in this society who will fight to the death to save their born children will so easily agree to allow others and themselves to have them murdered in the womb with a procedure that pierces the embyro's or fetus' skull, then sucks them out, sometimes still living, with a vacuum.
It's absolutely appalling to me and it's a crime. I sincerely hope that Roe-v-Wade is overturned and abortions outlawed period, except for the exceptions I outlined.
If I knew of a woman who'd had an abortion for reasons other than rape, incest, or extreme threat to her health, the thought that would ticker-tape through my mind is: "You murderess".
Women do not own the human lives of unborn children any more than men do. The facts of biology make it clear that children are conceived in the womb of a woman, but she is not God and that child's right to live cannot be decided by her except for extremely special circumstances.

Like Cil said, these discussions on abortion quickly escalate into name calling and usually to a point where discussion is impossible. I don't mean to go anywhere near that. But I feel strongly about this issue and to me I cannot fathom how anyone can sanction "choice" when it involves the life of another human being.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Frankly, MoMark, I think I already knew your opinion--but remember we're friends, so I'm not going there, wherever there is.

I just felt today, for reasons unbecoming, to bring out as much of whatever people's truth is and then take a nap.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:35 PM

2,815 posts, read 13,005,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Frankly, MoMark, I think I already knew your opinion--but remember we're friends, so I'm not going there, wherever there is.

I just felt today, for reasons unbecoming, to bring out as much of whatever people's truth is and then take a nap.
I knew you already knew my opinion ontheroad!! And I am pretty clear on where you stand on several issues, so not surprised by yours. However, as I've said before... I have enormous respect for you and would never directly attack you without first assuring you that after that battle (which would be specifically topic related), we can make up and have a coffee or tea
Thanks for the statement too

Old 02-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Good! And I respect our relationship!

Coffee in the morning with half and half, no sugar, lots of it and tea with honey in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I knew you already knew my opinion ontheroad!! And I am pretty clear on where you stand on several issues, so not surprised by yours. However, as I've said before... I have enormous respect for you and would never directly attack you without first assuring you that after that battle (which would be specifically topic related), we can make up and have a coffee or tea
Thanks for the statement too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.