Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:23 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,713,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Everyone has the freedom to ask questions, that is why we are here. But innuendos about why a person may not elect to answer those answers is really dirty-pool, imo--and out and out name calling by questioning their integrity!
Is an apology not good enough?

Quote:
Also, as I recall you've asked this question of many posters; several of whom gave you answers.

It feels to me that you are on some fishing expedition that I certainly didn't sign on for and don't want to participate in.

Is that clearer?
Crystal, and it speaks volumes. If you'll look a little closer, noone has given a concise answer, mostly, I believe, because of what they're afraid they'll reveal about themselves.

I suspect you could call this somewhat of a fishing expedition in that I'm fishing for legitimate and precise answers that posters are willing to support their views with.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:35 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,168,665 times
Those that could or would answer did. To impugn anyone about the way in which they answer is to impugn the entire P&oC participant group. Each lends their voice to the best of their ability, or in the ways in which they are capable of making their views known. We often agree to disagree, but to invalidate or challenge ones integrity is something I trust you agree is not good pool.

It is not one person's purview to insist that people answer their question(s). This is what I see you doing here by repeating this question and perhaps wanting some specific answer that appears beyond the membership or those contributing can answer to your satisfaction. I for one am not here to satisfy you, but to share my views.

I believe I myself attempted to answer your question when this thread was first begun.

And it also appears that you use coercive language "like because of what they're afraid they'll reveal about themselves." What is it that you think you know that they don't know about themselves, and what gives you the authority to rule on this issue or any issue for that matter.

I suggest we end this discussion, at least between we two, because I am thoroughly disappointed in the way people's views are treated. It was always my intention to take a topic that I knew was potentially inflammatory and have an adult discussion. It appears this is no longer the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Is an apology not good enough?

Also, as I recall you've asked this question of many posters; several of whom gave you answers.

It feels to me that you are on some fishing expedition that I certainly didn't sign on for and don't want to participate in.

Is that clearer?
It certainly is very clear, and speaks volumes. If you'll look a little closer, noone has given a concise answer, mostly, I believe, because of what they're afraid they'll reveal about themselves.

I suspect you could call this somewhat of a fishing expedition in that I'm fishing for legitimate and precise answers that posters are willing to support their views with.[/quote]

Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,115,898 times
Ontheroad
FWIW
This is the least heated discussion of abortion that I've yet seen. Congratulations!
For me, it's honestly not so much what I am afraid of revealing about myself other than the fact that I simply do not see too many issues in black and white--especially abortion.
That fact alone is divisive: many folks refuse to look at it it as case by case, as is certainly their right.
I really do especially respect people who revere *all* life.
Amaznjohn
I've discussed abortion ad nauseum on other message boards. I tried and failed to stay out of this thread. Sorry, I'm not gonna get into it with you. Been there, done that, don't care for a repeat.
I agree that the discussion should be ended.
Maybe Yac would consider locking it?

Old 03-27-2007, 04:08 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,713,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Those that could or would answer did.
I went back and reread the thread. I was wrong, only UB50 gave me a precise answer.

Quote:
To impugn anyone about the way in which they answer is to impugn the entire P&oC participant group. Each lends their voice to the best of their ability, or in the ways in which they are capable of making their views known. We often agree to disagree, but to invalidate or challenge ones integrity is something I trust you agree is not good pool.
I guess I need to pay you reparations for my misdeed since an apology obviously won't suffice.
To impugn anyone is to impugn the entire group? This seems to be the Animal House defense when they were in front of the Student Council,

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests -- we did. [winks at Dean Wormer] But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg -- isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?

Quote:
It is not one person's purview to insist that people answer their question(s). This is what I see you doing here by repeating this question and perhaps wanting some specific answer that appears beyond the membership or those contributing can answer to your satisfaction. I for one am not here to satisfy you, but to share my views.

I believe I myself attempted to answer your question when this thread was first begun.
Your answers were vague and evasive.
I don't need any specific answer but I do ask for a precise one instead of evasive spin.

Quote:
And it also appears that you use coercive language "like because of what they're afraid they'll reveal about themselves." What is it that you think you know that they don't know about themselves, and what gives you the authority to rule on this issue or any issue for that matter.
I have no authority, only the honesty of those willing to support their views. I don't think that many pro-choicers are actually pro-choice but, instead, pro-rights. If you'll extend such a courtesy to me, I will try to demonstrate. But, unfortunately it will require you to answer some questions. If you have any questions of me, I will be happy to answer because I understand that debate IS a two way street.

Quote:
I suggest we end this discussion, at least between we two, because I am thoroughly disappointed in the way people's views are treated. It was always my intention to take a topic that I knew was potentially inflammatory and have an adult discussion. It appears this is no longer the case.
I'm trying to be as civil as possible while trying to explain the need for answers to my questions.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,753,983 times
This thread is going nowhere. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies