Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 03:08 AM

30,372 posts, read 51,986,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Gizmo,

I know of a single black woman who had a dream of having foster children. She thought it would be really neat, that she could teach them to play the piano, etc. She took an early retirement and bought a house with the idea of getting foster children to live with her.

She got the house, then she got three foster children.

She told me that the foster children were a wreck. Every foster child had huge psychological problems and she just couldn't deal with it. One of them smeared ***** on her dining room walls. Even though she had purchased the piano and was dying to teach one of them to play it -- she never got the chance. She eventually sent them all back to social services.

This woman was an entreprenuer and a person who "just didn't take no for an answer" and the foster child experience totally did her in.
Oh, I'm sure it can be quite a challenge! I don't know if I'd have the patience for a truly "troubled" child, or one that is older... but I would like to adopt a non-white baby, who would hopefully not have any pre-existing issues (being that it's a baby). Geez, that makes it sound like I'm buying a used car, so hopefully you know what I mean.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:09 AM

986 posts, read 2,809,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Can you explain what it is you mean and why an ultrasound?

Many thanks.
I just think maybe if she can see the fingers and toes and can see the little heart it may change her mind...just a thought..

Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,121,612 times
I'm late to the party...

Is anyone really pro abortion? I mean, I'm anti-abortion in that I would love to see us get to the point that it's no longer a needed procedure.
That would mean:

1. The eradication of rape and incest.
2. Perfect, reliable, affordable and easily-available birth control.
3. An economy/society where any parent would be assured of the economic, emotional and educational support necessary to raise a child.
4. A child-care/school system so excellent that every child would be educated and nurtured to the point of being productive and positive members of society.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're there yet.

I prefer to keep abortion legal, because I believe, that the type of government that can tell me that I may not have an abortion, is also the same type of government that could force me to have the procedure.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:18 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,131,962 times
I like your ideas of a changed world, but certainly fear one that smacks of the Handmaiden's Tale--!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I'm late to the party...

Is anyone really pro abortion? I mean, I'm anti-abortion in that I would love to see us get to the point that it's no longer a needed procedure.
That would mean:

1. The eradication of rape and incest.
2. Perfect, reliable, affordable and easily-available birth control.
3. An economy/society where any parent would be assured of the economic, emotional and educational support necessary to raise a child.
4. A child-care/school system so excellent that every child would be educated and nurtured to the point of being productive and positive members of society.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're there yet.

I prefer to keep abortion legal, because I believe, that the type of government that can tell me that I may not have an abortion, is also the same type of government that could force me to have the procedure.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,691,472 times
I'm very pro-choice. This is one thread I cannot and will not read because it's an issue that gets me more upset than any other. I will just state my side and walk away. I've already had one of these arguments this week and i'm not in the mood to get my blood pressure in a boil over it again.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:04 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,991,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I'm very pro-choice. This is one thread I cannot and will not read because it's an issue that gets me more upset than any other. I will just state my side and walk away. I've already had one of these arguments this week and i'm not in the mood to get my blood pressure in a boil over it again.
I think the 'blood boiling' issue is common on both sides. I have a hard time thinking of a person who condones or performs or supports abortion outside strict already noted parameters as a moral human being. To me they are condoning murder which makes me white hot with rage and I'm willing to get in their faces and tell them so. So I guess we all, depending on our view, get worked up on this issue to extremes...
And our reactions are reflected in the white-hot debate nationally.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:45 AM

68 posts, read 195,071 times
Abortion stops a beating heart. I am completely pro-life and hope that the SD bill passes, ultimately makes it to the Supreme Court and overrules Roe v. Wade (which I think is a real possibility with the appointment of Alito and Roberts to the court.)

Also, before I am unjustly accused of being a right wing Christian fanatic, nothing could be farther from the truth. My position on this topic stems from my understanding that life begins at conception...a fact that pro abortionists would conveniently like to ignore...

Old 02-13-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for sharing your POV.

I wouldn't accuse you of anything and think we are all entitled to voice our opinions. Our beliefs are our own and I respect yours and always hope mine are respected as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
Abortion stops a beating heart. I am completely pro-life and hope that the SD bill passes, ultimately makes it to the Supreme Court and overrules Roe v. Wade (which I think is a real possibility with the appointment of Alito and Roberts to the court.)

Also, before I am unjustly accused of being a right wing Christian fanatic, nothing could be farther from the truth. My position on this topic stems from my understanding that life begins at conception...a fact that pro abortionists would conveniently like to ignore...

Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,002,416 times
Default Thoughts on abortion...

My personal opinion is that abortion should be legal in a lot of instances, but not to the extent protected by Roe vs. Wade. Early-term abortions, before the fetus has developed any type of working brain or consciousness, or the ability to produce such a consciousness, should be legal and available -- I think that at the early stage the argument as to whether a fetus is a human being with a right to life is subject to philosophical and religious debate (similar to the Terry Schiavo case)...personally I still don't like the idea of even early-term abortions but I don't think it's the role of the government to decide whether a fertilized egg or a half-developed fetus is a human being... you could make a pretty good argument in either direction. Where I differ from Roe vs. Wade is that I don't think late term abortions should be available under a broad category of protecting the "health" (as opposed to life) of the mother, because I think in the later stages when consciousness and the ability to feel pain have developed, the case for a fetus being an unborn child is a lot more clear and less subject to debate, so the question becomes "Is a mother's health more important than her unborn child's life, if that child has a working consciousness and/or could survive outside of the mother's body?" To me the answer seems to be no, but I'll welcome any conflicting opinions, as I really don't understand the justifications for the late-term "health" abortions...

Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 AM

Fishmonger, thanks for your post.

One reason I can see for late term abortion as it relates to health is complications of pregnancy.

I had a terrible case that fit this situation: a woman who had already had difficulty giving birth, repeatedly, got pregnant and obviously was thrilled. Unfortunately, her weight gain was not related to the pregnancy but to a serious case of fibroid development which was only discovered at about 6mos. Without going into too many of the gory details, the baby died in utero and if the baby had not been removed late term it would (a) possibly poison and (b) ultimately kill the mother.

While these may be rare cases, unfortunately, they do occur. IMO, cases should be taken individually without prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies