Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,205,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I find it hilarious that people that fly the confederate flag are still going on about "the war of northern aggression". But they people are so quick to tell black people "get over slavery. It happen over 100 years ago. Move on!!!!!!!!"

How about you drop the flag? It happen over 100 years ago. Move on!!!!!
Good point. I've also never understood the desire to remember being defeated. You don't see the Japanese or the Germans (as a whole...maybe one-off exceptions exist) still going on about WWII or how they were really fighting for natural resources and not to take over, torture, and enslave the world. If I had my butt kicked, I'd want to forget about it quickly and move on.

One of the mistakes made after the Civil War (IMO) was to allow the southern leaders to get pardoned and for the north to go easy on the south during and after reconstruction. This allowed the rise of segregation after reconstruction and the Jim Crow laws that were enacted. Had the north punished and purged more of the southern leadership and hardcore supporters, perhaps a lot of the discrimination and strife could have been avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Good point. I've also never understood the desire to remember being defeated. You don't see the Japanese or the Germans (as a whole...maybe one-off exceptions exist) still going on about WWII or how they were really fighting for natural resources and not to take over, torture, and enslave the world. If I had my butt kicked, I'd want to forget about it quickly and move on.

One of the mistakes made after the Civil War (IMO) was to allow the southern leaders to get pardoned and for the north to go easy on the south during and after reconstruction. This allowed the rise of segregation after reconstruction and the Jim Crow laws that were enacted. Had the north punished and purged more of the southern leadership and hardcore supporters, perhaps a lot of the discrimination and strife could have been avoided.
It can be argued that you are a victim of public school education.
The North raped the south after the war.
Had we not tried to make peace more attractive than war it could have gone on for a lot longer. No more open battlefields but hit and run tactics against all targets Contrail style warfare....
Public schools teach the Gov approved version of history. White washed, cleaned up and decidedly biased.
This war was much more than about a few petty squabbles. Combat veterans who were closer than brothers before the war chose opposite sides. Robert E Lee hated to take sides against the Union.
The fact is the North valued black people less than the south. The North didn't want them.....
This was a war about the southern states disagreeing with the fed gov. Big business in the North wanted a bigger piece of the pie in the south. Lets not forget the south was wealthy from their exports. England outlawed slavery and all but took the south's side in the conflict. The reasons for the war were complex and not at all just about the slave issue.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:11 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,497,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It can be argued that you are a victim of public school education.
The North raped the south after the war.
Had we not tried to make peace more attractive than war it could have gone on for a lot longer. No more open battlefields but hit and run tactics against all targets Contrail style warfare....
Public schools teach the Gov approved version of history. White washed, cleaned up and decidedly biased.
This war was much more than about a few petty squabbles. Combat veterans who were closer than brothers before the war chose opposite sides. Robert E Lee hated to take sides against the Union.
The fact is the North valued black people less than the south. The North didn't want them.....
This was a war about the southern states disagreeing with the fed gov. Big business in the North wanted a bigger piece of the pie in the south. Lets not forget the south was wealthy from their exports. England outlawed slavery and all but took the south's side in the conflict. The reasons for the war were complex and not at all just about the slave issue.
True, in part...
Still the south started it(they attacked first),
The south illegaly tried to leave the US.
In my opinion both of them were wrong

Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
Quote:
I am sorry but the Civil war was not about slavery.... Slavery was an issue to be sure but it was a minor issue in the big pic.
In fact Lincoln didn't even outlaw slavery until after the start of the war. The only thing outlawed was the import of more slaves. This was not a big deal to the south as by this time they had enough to breed more of their own. Dispicable yes, dehumanizing absolutely. In fact most Northern folks didn't even care about the slave issue especially the Irish.
One can not even begin to compare the economies of the North and south. The south was just about all agri based. The North was the opposite. Yes some Northern states if not most had agriculture but not on the scale of the south.

You like many others can't understand the basic disconnect between rebel and Federal war aims. The Federals were NOT fighting against what the Rebels were fighting for----the Rebels were fighting to protect slavery but the Federals were fighting to suppress rebellion and preserve the union. That's why the destruction of slavery didn't become a Federal war aim until later; Federal war aims evolved over the course of the rebellion.

Many of the loyal states were just as agricultural as any rebelling state, if as you assert the rebellion was agriculture vs. industry why didn't northern agricultural states rebel?

The answer is simple; no northern agricultural states had slaves.

The truth is simple and stares us in the face---The Great Rebellion was intended to protect slavery. And all the soft-soap, lame excuses and Lost Cause mythology can't get by that. No slavery---no rebellion. It's that simple.

This had been discussed so much that I'm forced to the conclusion that those who don't concede the basic facts simply choose to be wrong minded.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You like many others can't understand the basic disconnect between rebel and Federal war aims. The Federals were NOT fighting against what the Rebels were fighting for----the Rebels were fighting to protect slavery but the Federals were fighting to suppress rebellion and preserve the union. That's why the destruction of slavery didn't become a Federal war aim until later; Federal war aims evolved over the course of the rebellion.

Many of the loyal states were just as agricultural as any rebelling state, if as you assert the rebellion was agriculture vs. industry why didn't northern agricultural states rebel?

The answer is simple; no northern agricultural states had slaves.

The truth is simple and stares us in the face---The Great Rebellion was intended to protect slavery. And all the soft-soap, lame excuses and Lost Cause mythology can't get by that. It was exactly what it seems to be.
Sigh . Read some real history books on the topic. The common man of the south didn't own slaves. Slaves were expensive to buy. They fought against what they felt was the Fed gov pushing laws on them that they didn't agree with.
The Northern ag states had more than ag going on. Not only that but they were also isolated away from any rebelling states. I never said it was simply about agriculture v.s Industry. I said that, That was a bigger element than the slave issue. Let us also not forget the cultural differences between the North and south. And No I am not refering to slaves. A good many folks of the North didn't give a hoot about slavery.
This war was about what the southern states felt was unfair, unjust and even unconstitutional. What they felt being the operative words.
The north wasn't fighting to free the slaves. The North was fighting to preserve the Union. Freeing the slaves was an issue that came up after the start of the war.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,497,888 times
Quote:
Sigh . Read some real history books on the topic. The common man of the south didn't own slaves. Slaves were expensive to buy. They fought against what they felt was the Fed gov pushing laws on them that they didn't agree with.
The Northern ag states had more than ag going on. Not only that but they were also isolated away from any rebelling states.
This war was about what the southern states felt was unfair, unjust and even unconstitutional. What they felt being the operative words.
The north wasn't fighting to free the slaves. The North was fighting to preserve the Union. Freeing the slaves was an issue that came up after the start of the war.
What was unconstitutional?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,617,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If I am not mistaken, even hippies and bikers from the 1960s starting using the flag as a sign of independence and yes, rebellion.
You are mistaken. Hippies certainly wouldn't have been associated with the confederate flag [maybe bikers

Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,617,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
"All men are created equal ..." duh!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,861,363 times
and what about a flag tells you otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
"All men are created equal ..." duh!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
As far as I know nothing... But its what they felt at the time. If you read some biograghies and autobiograghies it is in enlightning as to what the mind set was. From what I understand. If I in fact do? The major heartburn was about Federal laws bypassing or over riding state laws.
Example. Some states are now called sanctuary states because they refuse to enforce immigration laws or even cooperate with ICE. In the souths mind they were entitled to conduct their cities and states as their taxpayer/voters saw fit. Most folks today still feel this way North and south. The difference was that it had been a strom building for some time. The south had some major bones with interstate trade regulations that they felt were decidedly biased against them. Guess what many were. Why? Because more Northern poilticians than southern politicians and more power in DC. Even now it takes a whole bunch of southern states to equal New yorks political clout. Hmmm A whole lot of northern states too.
As I have said before it was a complex situation that led to war. It was not so simple as Hey yall we wanna keep R slaves. To understand it one needs to read the biograghies and auto's of the players involved. Slavery was a small part of it for both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies