Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,868,730 times

Advertisements

I actually didn't help you prove anything. your point was horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Court Bans Confederate Flag at Ole Miss Athletic Events (http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Articles%202000/UMississippiConfedflag.htm - broken link)

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, August 29, 2000 -- Students going to games at the University of Mississippi can expect security personnel to be searching for something very specific this fall -- a Confederate flag.

According to the Associated Press, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit ruled that the University of Mississippi ('Ole Miss') can ban spectators from waving Confederate flags at campus athletic events. This decision by the New Orleans court came three years after Richard Barrett, a lawyer for the white supremacist Nationalist Movement, sued over the issue.

The 5th Circuit said it found nothing wrong with "the university defendants' game management policies, which prohibited spectators from carrying sticks and large flags or banners into the university's football stadium during athletic contests."

University officials adopted the stick flag policy in fall 1997, weeks after former football coach Tommy Tuberville asked fans not to wave Confederate flags at games. Tuberville said he didn't want the flag associated with "Ole Miss" because of mixed perceptions of its meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM

fact is this. the nazi flag stands for a hateful group. the confederate flag stands for a geographic location. get over it. end of discussion. geography isn't racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
You are now very close to committing a fallacy as well as you are contradicting your past argument.

You are now saying that people of the south fly the flag with no meaning. I pretty sure they would have a bone to pick with that notion.

You are contradicting your past statement that the flag stood for the rebel version of states rights.

And the pirate flags did have a meaning but is out of real world use unlike the rebel flags that still has meaning.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:00 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,076,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
ozzie since we in Texas had our own republic, do you consider flying the Texas flag treason?
The Texas Republic preceded it's membership in the United States. The Confederacy, especially its military officers took up arms against a country they had sworn to defend. That's the definition of treason. Lee should have been hung.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,076,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
fact is this. the nazi flag stands for a hateful group. the confederate flag stands for a geographic location. get over it. end of discussion. geography isn't racist.
CSA and Nazi Germany were were both hateful groups. To try to PC the CONFEDERATE BATTLE FLAG into some benign regional flag is laughable and pathetic. It stands for slavery.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,901,317 times
Quote:
But you stated it stood for something else in this post

Quote:
yes, the confederate flag stands for the confederacy. that's not rocket science.
Are you now saying that the Confederacy stood for nothing more then living in certain states? What happen to all your state's right's talk?

I wonder how many people that fly the Battle Flag would agree that is just stands for "Hey Look l live south of the Mason-Dixon line".

Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 PM

444 posts, read 1,213,307 times
WOW! It took me forever to read all these posts in this thread, and not one of them digs into the guts of the meaning of the Confederate Flag itself! NOT ONE! An ensign, or a standard ( a flag) has a specific meaning, it describes certain things that are definatley identifyable to others who know that all flags flown have a meaning. The colors have a meaning, the symbols have a meaning, the placement of them has a meaning. The misconception of the meaning of the Confederate flag to mean racism and slavery couldnt be more a smoke screen to cover the truth than I have ever seen. It is used by certain individuals who have an agenda to accomplish same as any political smear campaign ever used to destroy someones honorable merit to replace it with something more beneficial to a much more greedy cause. I have seen that used throughout the history that I have been so blessed to have learned (albeit the hard way).
Until everyone understands that the England/Brittish brought ships here to start the "Plantation colonies" , and they brought with them, and established the use of slavery on the American continant to grow things by cheap labor, and a handful of Scots who were stripped of their royal and supporting military status, who were sent here as criminals banished from Scotland by the English monarchs who merged the Kingdoms of Scotland Ireland and England et al, but in the finest rebellious manner, signed the Declaration of Independence to break away from not only King James (Who BTW authorized the only English version of the bible we all know), but other religious rival churches who practiced burning people at the stake, or disembowling and burning and drawing and quartering of human beings who rebeled and thought freedom was the way to go, then you should all go back to your history lessons and reach beyond what sticks out for you about the words Confederate and the Articles of Confederation which made this a free country in the first place. Dont any of you smell the smoke that surrounds your very noses? The devil uses such tactics as pitting Brother against Brother just like what was done in the ugly civil war, but the same tactics are also recognised in the wars of Independence for Scotland. Who were the Sons of Liberty over there? Sir William Wallace was one, I am quite certain of that. The Flag of the Covenanters / Jacobites of Scotland had nearly the same symbolisms as the Confederate flag, and look what happened to all the Jacobites? The Union Jack flag of Brittan, is the Rebel Confederate flag with the English symbol "Jacked" over the top of the Scottish symbol, because they were "Jacked" out of their own country! Shall we all gather at the river of peace, and stop blowing smoke to fuel unnessesary racial fires? Can't we all just get along? You can have your religion, and I'll have mine. I will proudly wave all the flags of my ancestry, and they were forced around alot so there are plenty of them. I'll try hard not to be like those who think it's ok to throw stones oh Lord, for I know they know not what they do in times of desperation and oppression of the wicked design of taxation without representation and other ugly lies that cause hate and discontent. Was I praying out loud again, my bad, sorry! not.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,352,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Good! Glad to know you embrace the First Amendment. And naturally, you are free to see a symbol as you wish (even if you do seem to confuse your opinion with "fact"). But just out of curiosity, do you even know the difference in the Stars and Bars and the Battle Flag?
Thought it was that same thing. Up in Mn I probably see 4-5 Confederate Flags/year.

Edit...
I see the difference now. I just looked it up.

Last edited by ozzie679; 08-05-2008 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 03:16 PM

so everyone who lived in the south was a slave owner. gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
CSA and Nazi Germany were were both hateful groups. To try to PC the CONFEDERATE BATTLE FLAG into some benign regional flag is laughable and pathetic. It stands for slavery.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,352,970 times
Quote:
From 1933-1945 The Nazi Flag was the official flag of Germany. Not every German was racist either. But both flags had evils associated with them.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM

I have a problem with someone who flies flags in general. they are like bumper stickers to me. the confederate flag was the flag for the states of the confederacy. I am all for states rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
But you stated it stood for something else in this post

Are you now saying that the Confederacy stood for nothing more then living in certain states? What happen to all your state's right's talk?

I wonder how many people that fly the Battle Flag would agree that is just stands for "Hey Look l live south of the Mason-Dixon line".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies