Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:31 PM

6,095 posts, read 2,304,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
[/b]
I don't have the right to say something when I see someone breaking into my neighbor's car or home, stealing packages from someone's porch, vandalizing property, etc.? Not sure what country you live in, sport, but its not the USA. Or you don't understand your rights. I don't care which it is, but you are profoundly misinformed.
Saying something is different than initiating a confrontation that results in you stabbing the person, but again we don't know enough to conclude much of anything right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:33 PM

51,523 posts, read 37,195,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
To successfully claim self-defense, the accused needs to establish three elements:

(1) that the victim acted with unlawful aggression towards them.

(2) that the means employed to repel the aggression were reasonable.

(3) that the accused did not provoke the aggression.
It also depends on the state. In NJ we have a “Duty to retreat” law, so confronting the thief would not fly for self defense. Guessing California is similar.

Old Today, 12:52 PM

23,756 posts, read 17,421,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Good thing the criminal didn't have a gun or this student would have ended up just like actor Johnny Wactor.

Speaking of that, did they ever catch those thugs that murdered him?

At least this criminal won't be committing any more crimes.
maybe they just did,

Old Today, 01:01 PM

23,756 posts, read 17,421,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It also depends on the state. In NJ we have a “Duty to retreat” law, so confronting the thief would not fly for self defense. Guessing California is similar.
retreat from a guy stealing your car?

You supposed to hand him the keys and run away?

Excuse me sir, Would be please desist in stealing or damaging my car? Perp attacks and if you can't run away fast enough you just exposed your baxk to a criminal intending to do you harm fight back, you are guilty of breaking the retreat law in NJ

Law was amended not too long ago in conjunction with court forced permission to carry. Permits were impossible to get. Feds forced it on NJ. NJ decided to make rules so onerous for permit holders, the geds stepped in and invalidated all the obstacles nJ gov murphy put in the way

The law in New Jersey has a provision that requires the person to “retreat” IF at all possible.
Retreat does not apply to a home intruder. This generally applies to situations similar to a threat of physical attack in a public or commercial setting. Same advice applies if confronted by a black bear in NJ. How odd is that?

Old Today, 01:21 PM

9,656 posts, read 4,450,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Saying something is different than initiating a confrontation that results in you stabbing the person, but again we don't know enough to conclude much of anything right now.

The student had the right to say something. Period. There is nothing to debate.
The student had the right to confront the suspect. Period. There is nothing to debate.
Did the student have a duty to retreat after the suspect threatened him? Depends on the state.

Was it self-defense? This is where it gets sticky and is open to debate, but to argue that the student didn't have the right to say anything to or confront the suspect isn't open to debate.

Old Today, 01:35 PM

6,407 posts, read 3,572,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
You can't go around murdering people because they're stealing.
I think if someone steals from you, you absolutely have the right to take his life.

I’ll bet you this would stop 99.9% of all thefts if the criminals knew they could be killed for stealing.

Unfortunately, we live in a clown world where thievery is applauded and if someone dares to try and stop a theft, they get dealt with. Harshly.

Old Today, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
retreat from a guy stealing your car?

You supposed to hand him the keys and run away?

Excuse me sir, Would be please desist in stealing or damaging my car? Perp attacks and if you can't run away fast enough you just exposed your baxk to a criminal intending to do you harm fight back, you are guilty of breaking the retreat law in NJ

Law was amended not too long ago in conjunction with court forced permission to carry. Permits were impossible to get. Feds forced it on NJ. NJ decided to make rules so onerous for permit holders, the geds stepped in and invalidated all the obstacles nJ gov murphy put in the way

The law in New Jersey has a provision that requires the person to “retreat” IF at all possible.
Retreat does not apply to a home intruder. This generally applies to situations similar to a threat of physical attack in a public or commercial setting. Same advice applies if confronted by a black bear in NJ. How odd is that?
The articles say “breaking into cars” not specifically his.

“Choi told the Los Angeles Police Commission on Tuesday that the victim had been breaking into vehicles in the area when he was confronted by Gallegos off-campus.“

Another article: “Authorities say the Boyle Heights native, who is now in custody, and two friends witnessed the 27-year-old homeless man burglarizing cars. The 19-year-old reportedly confronted the man with a knife before stabbing him to death.”

“New Jersey recognizes a duty to retreat: people typically have a duty to de-escalate or separate themselves from a dangerous situation.“

Confronting a thief is the opposite of retreating. Not saying it’s right but I’d assume California is similar to NJ in that regard.

Old Today, 01:57 PM

11,524 posts, read 11,208,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think if someone steals from you, you absolutely have the right to take his life.

I’ll bet you this would stop 99.9% of all thefts if the criminals knew they could be killed for stealing.
Looters should be shot on sight, as well as porch pirates. Democrats are strongly against this though, as it would eliminate quite a few in their voting base.

Old Today, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Looters should be shot on sight, as well as porch pirates. Democrats are strongly against this though, as it would eliminate quite a few in their voting base.
You actually believe low level criminals vote?? I see this line of thought here a lot and it’s ridiculous.

Old Today, 02:23 PM

6,510 posts, read 2,811,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The articles say “breaking into cars” not specifically his.

“Choi told the Los Angeles Police Commission on Tuesday that the victim had been breaking into vehicles in the area when he was confronted by Gallegos off-campus.“

Another article: “Authorities say the Boyle Heights native, who is now in custody, and two friends witnessed the 27-year-old homeless man burglarizing cars. The 19-year-old reportedly confronted the man with a knife before stabbing him to death.”

“New Jersey recognizes a duty to retreat: people typically have a duty to de-escalate or separate themselves from a dangerous situation.“

Confronting a thief is the opposite of retreating. Not saying it’s right but I’d assume California is similar to NJ in that regard.
You know what happens when you assume...

CA does not have a "Duty to Retreat" law. While CA doesn't have an actual "Stand your Ground" statute, general case law gives the right for someone to defend themselves if they feel they are in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies