Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 10:02 AM

6,011 posts, read 2,835,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
God is unhappy, is that why he keeps sending such devastating tornedo's right through all the Red States.....
As I said to JamesBond007, we have a "tornado alley" in the plains and parts of the southeast, just like there's hurricane season in Florida and the Gulf Coast, because those events are not rare and are expected. Earthquakes are rare in the northeast. New York doesn't have an "earthquake season".

Of course, I never said God didn't have problems with southerners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 10:03 AM

20,860 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Hurricanes are a part of the natural weather phenomenons of Florida, and the Gulf Coast in general. You can expect a hurricane in Florida every year. But, New York and the Northeast have very few earthquakes, meaning they're rare and not to be expected. New York doesn't have an "earthquake season" like Florida does have a "hurricane season".
Which is utterly meaningless. I could just as easily say that God must really like New York and New Jersey because He rarely sends them earthquakes, hurricanes and other natural disasters, while He must absolutely hate Florida and other red parts of the US since He is constantly sending them natural disasters.

The rarity of earthquakes like today's in NJ, PA and NY is but a gentle reminder that God looks upon the Northeast quite favorably.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:07 AM

20,860 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
As I said to JamesBond007, we have a "tornado alley" in the plains and parts of the southeast, just like there's hurricane season in Florida and the Gulf Coast, because those events are not rare and are expected. Earthquakes are rare in the northeast. New York doesn't have an "earthquake season".

Of course, I never said God didn't have problems with southerners!
Again ... since God regularly sends natural disasters to the (mostly red) South and Plains, that must mean God disapproves of those areas. He is constantly punishing them.

Meanwhile, He rarely punishes the Northeast with such disasters. That obviously means He generally approves of them.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:09 AM

6,365 posts, read 2,700,936 times
Anyone taking bets on who the first Liberal will be that will blame the quake on Climate Change and when they will do it?

I'm taking Biden within 48 hours, as he explains how he remembers when as a kid he lived through the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:11 AM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Eclipse is coming.

August 17, 2017 -- 40 days --- September 30th - Day of Atonement
April 8, 2024 -- 40 days --- May 19th - Pentecost
7 years apart.

The Eclipse passes through 7 cities called Ninevah and the X mark between the 2017 and 2024 is a town called Little Egypt.

Coincidence? Likely not. Read the story of Jonah.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:14 AM

8,481 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Aw man! I didn’t feel it.

Woulda been a little taste of home

Old 04-05-2024, 10:14 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I thought the building might come down. Our buildings are not designed for earthquakes. I’ve felt a few small ones in NJ but this was by far the strongest and longest one.
New ones are.
All of New England, NYC, North Jersey and the Adirondacks are Seismic Design Category B/C depending on the risk category of the building.

The New madrid seismic zone is Seismic Design Category E/F, and it radiates out - half of TN, KY, MO, AR are Category D, while the rest of those states are C/D, Jacksonville, all of LA, OH, WV, most of NC are B/C too. There's another Category D zone in coastal SC.
There's no place in California below a Category D. Basically only Barrow isn't at least a Category D in Alaska.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:15 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
I rarely listen to anyone who implies or claims to know what God's intentions are. It's almost always cherry picking to their own biases.

Whole bloody wars have been fought in the name of God. Each side claiming God is on "their side".

I'm 20 miles from the center. The strongest earthquake recorded in NJ is 5.3 back in the 1700s so 4.7 - 4.8 is a noticeable event for us. I was in the basement and it definitely shook enough to toss things off some storage shelves. As someone who grew up in TX, I'd rather deal with the mild natural events in NJ/NY area than the tornadoes, hurricanes, and flooding of TX. My parent's house has sustained far more costly damage since it's built in the 1980s than my home built in the 1920s.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:16 AM

15,627 posts, read 10,382,405 times
i was living in manhattan when the last earthquake hit the city in 2010. i felt a slight buzz, hard to describe the feeling, but had no idea it was an earthquake until hours later. certainly there was no shaking of buildings, heaving floors or other normal earthquake expectations.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-05-2024 at 10:28 AM..

Old 04-05-2024, 10:19 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
i was living in manhattan when the last earthquake hit the city in 2010. i felt a slight buzz, hard to describe the feeling, when it happened, but had no idea it was an earthquake until hours later. certainly there was no shaking of buildings, heaving floors or other normal earthquake expectations.
Off by a year, was 2011, this one appears to have shaken a bit more, but was a but closer too. I felt that one, didn't really feel this one, but may have been building, where I was, etc, others in my office did feel it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies