Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 04:44 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Every earthquake has aftershocks.
They’re saying 4.0 on the aftershock.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 04:47 PM

10,848 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, not here. That's off-topic. Yes, I'm one of the 15,000 or so who got out before the buildings went down. I'll catch you on the city forum maybe.

ok deal. OR travel here in the summer when I take the boat out...this story I WANT to hear.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:59 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Californians be like "How adorable, a 4.8!" as they blow coffee out their nose in laughter at their local Starbucks.

Us Alaskans too. A 4.8 will get your attention but it ain't a big quake.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:46 PM

350 posts, read 229,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was actually centered in Hunterdon County, near NJ/PA border, not NYC.
Two miles from my sister in law's house in Tweksbury, NJ. She thought a bomb had gone off at first.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:52 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I remember the 5.8 in DC....Alex Jones was pushing the theory that it was an underground nuclear test.

Glad this was pretty minor, shouldn't be a lot of damage.

I keep waiting for the New Madrid to really crank St. Louis like it did about 200 years ago. Only this time it won't be a town of a couple hundred living in shacks and tents.
We were in Kirkwood back in the early 90s. Somebody predicted a shake up in the New Madrid fault. the town went nuts. DH’s employer gave the predicted day off to anybody who wanted it. We paid no attention. Mid morning my dog went nuts.I took her out and a few minutes later there was a tiny tremor. She felt it coming.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:55 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
They’re saying 4.0 on the aftershock.
Didn't feel it in suburban Philly, unless it happened while I was driving.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:58 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Someone on the NJ forum said she had several cracks in a load-bearing wall in her home from it. Not covered by Homeowners as it's an "act of nature".

I can't even imagine driving over a bridge or on a subway when it happened!
I have earthquake insurance because of the New Madrid fault, which is well overdue. There's a sizable deductible, but the premium is inexpensive and affords some level of protection.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:03 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Many people don't realize that earthquakes happen in MANY places in the U.S., not just on the West Coast. Remember the 5.8 one that hit Washington, D.C. a dozen years ago? https://siarchives.si.edu/collections/siris_sic_13014

(I am refraining from making a nasty comment about it not being worse.)
Are you going to vote for Biden since you don't like Trump? I don't like Trump and think he is a jerk, but I want to vote to help the GOP all around the ballot because they are the lesser of two evils. I'm curious if fracking caused this earthquake.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:04 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Stop blaming God for everything wrong. Geesh. The earth moves - the sky rains - the atmosphere gets electrified, the cold freezes everything- and the sun is hot. etc.
I would be more worried about the underground city that lies under NY -and the River or the Bay finding ways into the infrastructure.
I wish God was a little more detailed in Revelations. He should have been more like, “And there shall be-eth a moderate quake of the 4.8th magnitude that shall rock between two great cities in the years following a moderate plague and in the days that preceedeth the great hiding of the sun over thine same continent.”
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 04-05-2024, 06:05 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
He must be very, very unhappy with the Permian basin's structural integrity.
Poor thing.

That's a lot of solid rock to be unhappy with.

Back in the day, the signs and portents of this earthquake would have been a lot different from the replies I've read here.
Their earthquakes are so frequent nobody notices unless the houses get cracks.

Some say it from fracking and pumping that water back into the rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies