Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2023, 12:56 PM

11,230 posts, read 6,165,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Anyone can react to anything. I reacted to it actually and even as an adult (not anytime recently, but before kids) it would cause a weird reaction. What happened to me is that I did a whole bunch of drugs at the same time when I was 15 and I had a bad acid trip. I didn’t touch anything again for two years and the next time I smoked, it triggered something in my brain and I freaked out. I was in and out of reality, it was bizarre. I’m glad I was with friends in a home that was safe and I had enough sense to call out of work so I wasn’t driving like that. I didn’t touch it again for another while (year? Two?) and the reactions never amounted to anything like that but it had lost the high I had liked where things were funny and I got the munchies. It caused paranoia and I would sit in like a vegetative state for two hours till it wore off, too afraid to talk or get off the couch for fear I might do something strange again (I did all sorts of crazy stuff that day when I was 15). Totally bizarre. I have tried CBD in more recent years and certain strains in higher amounts have a very mild “vegetative effect” on me but for the most part, I can have a little and just relax and get better sleep. I found it helped with my migraines actually. But I don’t really like smoking so the benefits weren’t really worth it to me.

ANYWAY, I can see how people might react just as they might react to any other substance but the claim in the OP is totally bogus. Schizophrenia typically has a genetic predisposition and sure, with epigenetics, there are triggers that turn on and off different genes so I can see it playing a role for some but nobody can go back and pinpoint these types of things with assurance.
Makes total sense. Consider also that schizophrenia is apt to manifest during the late teens and early 20's (or later 20's maybe?).

I have witnessed someone close to be being a total wreck, in emotional pain, who then takes a small amount of weed and becomes completely normal. I could never tell when this person was on weed as there was no sign of intoxication (is that the right word?).

I would also suspect that folks who go heavy on the stuff would also take other substances.

So yeah, I'm with you and others on this one that it's coincidental, not causative. But the association is nevertheless there, be it coincidental or a trigger of the motivation for smoking weed in the first place. That I think was the case with the above person I mentioned. And as for my two brother friends who went psycho - there was an obvious indication that they inherited the tendency from their mother. No, she wasn't psycho but she did give the impression that she was the source of the genetic link. It did make me wonder at the time whether the weed was the trigger at that time and that possibly these two would not have gone off the rails had they not smoked weed.

I also knew another person who went schizo as a boy who never touched the stuff.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:04 PM

36,194 posts, read 18,576,081 times
Cause and affect?

Maybe people who are struggling with the early symptoms of schizophrenia are likely to self-medicate with marijuana.

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-10-2023 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-10-2023, 01:25 PM

11,230 posts, read 6,165,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Cause an affect?

Maybe people who are struggling with the early symptoms of schizophrenia are likely to self-medicate with marijuana.
Yup. Short and sweet and right on. Same with other mental conditions like anxiety and depression. I do still wonder though whether weed could trigger an underlying issue. It's probably quite complicated.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:00 PM

8,608 posts, read 3,108,352 times
Here’s an example of the behavior of people ingesting this narcotic.

(Warning for outrageous behavior)

https://youtube.com/shorts/WnIdWnzsLnQ?feature=share

Last edited by Leona Valley; 05-10-2023 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-10-2023, 02:41 PM

3,296 posts, read 2,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I love this board so much. It's the only place where you really can go back in time and read posts that appear to have been written in 1961.
I laughed out loud at a couple of posts here. People are truly hilarious without intending to be.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:41 PM

37,958 posts, read 18,038,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I rarely watch TV, but the other day I was bored and there was an episode of "antiques roadshow" playing. Someone brought in a little doctor's box (like a mobile pharmacy) from sometime in the 19th century. One of the items in the box was cannabis. So, it has had its medicinal usages for a long time. Then again, so has morphine, opium and other such drugs. None of those substances are a significant danger when used appropriately.
Where is that cannabis now? Asking for a friend.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:52 PM

30,659 posts, read 12,190,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Here’s an example of the behavior of people ingesting this narcotic.

(Warning for outrageous behavior)

https://youtube.com/shorts/WnIdWnzsLnQ?feature=share

You have to be trolling with this link.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:54 PM

37,629 posts, read 19,572,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I rarely watch TV, but the other day I was bored and there was an episode of "antiques roadshow" playing. Someone brought in a little doctor's box (like a mobile pharmacy) from sometime in the 19th century. One of the items in the box was cannabis. So, it has had its medicinal usages for a long time. Then again, so has morphine, opium and other such drugs. None of those substances are a significant danger when used appropriately.
There was a mummy discovered in the past couple of years that included cannabis as part of the burial. The young woman had been using it for relief from breast cancer. I’ll see if I can find it wh Ed n I get back to a desktop.

Old 05-10-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You have to be trolling with this link.
“77% increase in suicide deaths from 2010 to 2015 among Colorado 10- to 19-year-olds with marijuana in their systems.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ia/4168315002/

Old 05-10-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I laughed out loud at a couple of posts here. People are truly hilarious without intending to be.
And possibly some intentionally. :-)

Amazing how many people believe everything they read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies