Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2023, 03:22 PM

16,374 posts, read 10,628,063 times

Advertisements

A few thoughts:

I smoked a bit in high school. Finding weed (it was pot then) was a pain in the neck, you had to have a connection and at times that person was out. It was always a challenge, now it's everywhere. It is far easier to for a kid to get his hands on a bag of weed today than in the past.

I agree that a 12-13 year old has no business smoking weed. If the parent gave it to them they are horrible parents. But it's a reach to assume the weed was the reason that kid turned bad. If he grew up in that environment I think it's safe to assume there were other factors that lead to how he turned out.

I think this article in the OP is nonsense. As posted it is full of hypothetical words such as "could" and "may be".

It is also nonsense that chronic use will lead to the brain turning to mush, the pot head will be a loser stoner forever. I'm a senior, several of my senior friends have smoked weed regularly since they were young. Every single one turned out just fine. Business owners, executives, teachers etc.

With that said some of you continue to live in the dark age. If you have stopped all substances or have no interest in doing drugs well that's fine, for you. But to criticize a person whose life is working out just fine because he/she wants to smoke a joint after work or on a fishing trip, well that's just ignorance.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:30 PM

22,328 posts, read 9,887,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Meth, fentanyl, booze...many probably smoke pot too but very few of them are there because pot destroyed their minds or lives. Meth, fentanyl and booze are much more likely to do that, and one of those is legal already.
You know this because.....???

Old 05-11-2023, 03:48 PM

20,265 posts, read 18,581,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Meth, fentanyl, booze...many probably smoke pot too but very few of them are there because pot destroyed their minds or lives. Meth, fentanyl and booze are much more likely to do that, and one of those is legal already.

Per lots of studies the pitch that pot is some sort of risk free fun is becoming less and less tenable.

Closer to home. I know a good number of very successful people. Of that group maybe 30% drink between a little and way too much. I don’t know a single person who uses pot more than occasionally who would fit in the group.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:51 PM

13,021 posts, read 6,855,313 times
Marijuana is just the means. Liberalism is linked to Schizoprenia.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:55 PM

1,080 posts, read 598,819 times
Heavy use of sugar can make you a diabetic.

Heavy smoking can cause cancer.

Heavy alcohol use can cause cancers and/or liver damage.

Heavy use of certain fats can cause heart disease.

Heavy sports activity can break down joints.

Join the nanny state movement. Let's make all of these things illegal today, for the betterment of mankind's lack of self-control!

Old 05-11-2023, 03:57 PM

1,080 posts, read 598,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Per lots of studies the pitch that pot is some sort of risk free fun is becoming less and less tenable.

Closer to home. I know a good number of very successful people. Of that group maybe 30% drink between a little and way too much. I don’t know a single person who uses pot more than occasionally who would fit in the group.
I know lots of doctors, pharmacists, engineers, business execs, and teachers who use pot recreationally. Maybe it's just your bubble.

Old 05-11-2023, 04:52 PM

18,014 posts, read 15,769,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Very good point.

I did the same early in my life until I found help (depression). Unfortunately, it is easier to self medicate than access to mental health services.
That is true. Mental health services can be tough to access for someone whi is struggling but still functional and trying to make a living. Especially these days. I know that firsthand. It seems that the whole system that revolves around mental health or as it called in vogue these days "behavioral health" is so strained and having to put people on waiting lists it just can't hold up. People in the throes of whatever crisis they have going on and are melting down can't wait.

At least around here for as much hype as is given the local behavioral health services one would think it wouldn't be that way. But it is. Interestingly a lot of the advertising I see around here for mental health services is quite deceptive. If you go look on a websearch for mental health for this area outside of the first two hits it goes straight into private funded charitable outreach programs that can "help" get someone the help they need. The county hospital in Carson didn't even have a dedicated wing for mental health until about 12 years ago. Reno had and still has the big facility over by DMV. Back in the day that place had a reputation not so glowing.

They've got more woke now. And folks in mental pain (which is often worse than a crushed limb) will most certainly self medicate given a lack of help. Sometimes (too often) that medication gets delivered at 1000 foot a second in 115 grain doses. Cranial injection. Which is a completely unfunny situation despite the dark humor I put on it. As self medication goes I know way more doctors (and I know a bunch) that would classify weed as a FAR less harmful/potentially harmful choice than many others.

I know lifelong pot smokers/cannabis users and I know lifelong drinkers. Guess which ones have more issues? Still that's no defense of the reasons why people have to look at self medication. I do it. I use cannabis (ingestible not smoking) to help with pain and sleep issues. My doctor knows and has zero issue with it. All my doctors know and have zero issue. It's pretty amazing how many quite elderly folks I see at the dispensary as well. These are people from the generations that saw pot as that no good hippie pinko draft dodging homosexual thing. LOL, my oh my ain't things changed.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:04 PM

13,021 posts, read 6,855,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Heavy use of sugar can make you a diabetic.

Heavy smoking can cause cancer.

Heavy alcohol use can cause cancers and/or liver damage.

Heavy use of certain fats can cause heart disease.

Heavy sports activity can break down joints.

Join the nanny state movement. Let's make all of these things illegal today, for the betterment of mankind's lack of self-control!

Heavy Fentanyl use can... oh wait, wut?

Old 05-11-2023, 05:17 PM

30,524 posts, read 19,029,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
OP must be finically linked to the pharmaceutical industry and the Sacklers. No one actually believes this.
: smack:

I guess you are not a physician.

We are seeing a NUMBER of bizarre, yet consistent, health related problems with daily pot use. In addition to increases in psychiatric diagnoses in this group, we are seeing-

1. hyper-emesis syndrome
2. seizures
3. obesity related to reduced physical activity
4. declining cognitive function

Don't kid yourself. Daily pot use is terrible for one's health. Only an idiot would equate a recreational drug with a challenge to actual pharmaceuticals used in medicine.

About every week I get some idiot who smokes pot on a daily basis coming to me and touting the great "health benefits" of pot. The first thing I ask them is whey they are seeing me if pot smoking is so great!

Pot is a recreational drug, just like alcohol. While I do not drink or smoke pot, I really don't care if patients do either in moderation and do not let it control their lives. Alcohol is certainly a destructive drug. The only difference is that we have hundreds of years of medical evidence about the deleterious effects of alcohol. As the incidence and frequency of pot smoking increases, we will learn more about the perils of daily pot smoking.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:51 PM

8,615 posts, read 3,114,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Reefer Madness is as laughable as it gets. Hard to believe anyone citing that nonsensical propaganda as some validation against marijuana. It plays like an episode of Beavis and Butthead.
It was endorsed by Harry Anslinger who was head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics for 30 years. You don’t seem to take it very seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies