Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 10:52 AM

16,114 posts, read 6,812,632 times

Advertisements

The major trigger of schizophrenia is stressful events. Are the study subjects more likely to smoke marijuana because of stress? I don't know, but the study itself says the "Danish epidemiology study does not offer hard-and-fast proof of the cannabis-schizophrenia connection".

Causes - Schizophrenia (NHS)

Quote:
It is not clear if using drugs directly causes symptoms in people who are susceptible to schizophrenia, or if they are more likely to use drugs.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:58 AM

37,629 posts, read 19,588,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This is the danger with making blanket statements about something. Anything could conceivably be dangerous for a given individual.
If you give a thousand random people a chocolate chip cookies with peanuts in them you’re probably going to kill a couple. Everybody’s body chemistry is different.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:01 AM

37,629 posts, read 19,588,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You've jumped to a conclusion that has not been proven.
You do realize that Trigger is Willie’s guitar he’s played since 1970, right?

Old 05-10-2023, 11:05 AM

1,715 posts, read 811,454 times
Yet, people seem to have no problem with alcohol or tobacco which is just as dangerous in the long term. Alcohol will shrink your brain to the size of a pee if you abuse it for a lifetime

Old 05-10-2023, 11:07 AM

51,782 posts, read 37,554,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The major trigger of schizophrenia is stressful events. Are the study subjects more likely to smoke marijuana because of stress? I don't know, but the study itself says the "Danish epidemiology study does not offer hard-and-fast proof of the cannabis-schizophrenia connection".

Causes - Schizophrenia (NHS)
If you read further, there are others in the article who dispute the study results, saying that young men who end up being diagnosed usually use other drugs aside from pot, drink, etc. They may not be diagnosed yet, but self-medicating because they feel "off" and don't know why.

The study also didn't find out what age they started smoking, the potency of what they smoked, or how often they smoked.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:36 PM

26,583 posts, read 19,467,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Those are the benefits I was speaking of. Stating them in a dismissive way doesn't fly.
I rarely watch TV, but the other day I was bored and there was an episode of "antiques roadshow" playing. Someone brought in a little doctor's box (like a mobile pharmacy) from sometime in the 19th century. One of the items in the box was cannabis. So, it has had its medicinal usages for a long time. Then again, so has morphine, opium and other such drugs. None of those substances are a significant danger when used appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
And you didn't explain why marijuana should have a "does no harm, ever" standard for legality but alcohol doesn't need to.
As I said... tobacco, marijuana, alcohol, heroin, LSD, etc, etc, etc... have at any of them you like as far as I'm concerned. It's the rationalization BS that annoys me. And to be fair, it doesn't only play out with drugs. It happens with lots of things. It's the "I do it so it's perfectly wonderful and healthy" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
For me personally, it gave me tremendous insight into personal issues I had been having (when I started again in my late 30's, I was in an unhappy relationship and just low level depressed all the time). It made the reasons for my depression, and what was wrong with my life, come into clear focus. I have hundreds of journal pages I wrote when I was high during that period, and they are just as clear when I re-read them now as they were then (the bad handwriting not withstanding). I changed my life for the better because of the insights I gained when high during that time.

Now I smoke after work, and it relaxes me. No different than a person who drinks a glass of wine after work.

But so what if it only makes someone feel good or laugh? What's the purpose of drinking? That has zero redeeming qualities compared to pot, and more harm, too. Why can't responsible adults just have a drink or smoke simply because it's fun?
I don't believe that anyone needs chemicals for a better life unless they are medically or mentally infirm in the first place. That's just my philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
When I smoked cigarettes, I smoked 1-2 packs of unfiltered Camels or Luckies a day. I smoked a couple of joints a week.

False equivalency.
So two Camels are healthy, then? Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Yet, people seem to have no problem with alcohol or tobacco which is just as dangerous in the long term. Alcohol will shrink your brain to the size of a pee if you abuse it for a lifetime
As I said, it's your life. You decide. I'm not here to decide for you. But don't try to feed me full of bull**** about how wonderful and safe it all is, because I know better. I wonder how many druggies claimed it was perfectly safe and were dead five years later?

Drinking, drugs, pot, whatever... you use it and you are taking a chance. If you are lucky you win the bet. If not, you lose. I've know a lot of losers and a few that won the bet. As long as we are all aware of that risk, I have no gripes. But like I said, stop the salesman BS.

I was an advanced rated paraglider pilot for years. That was my choice. I knew the risks when I started flying. I lucked out and only got a couple of relatively minor injuries and a couple of close calls to serious injuries or death over the course of about ten years. A couple people I knew died. Not once did I ever claim to anyone who was interested in paragliding that it was perfectly safe. But as long as we all know the risks involved and we are willing to take the risk... then go for it. But DON'T claim there are no risks.

(and when I'm taking about risk, please no one get cute and tell me everything is a risk. I know that. And you know what I'm actually talking about when I say "risk." Significant risk)

Old 05-10-2023, 12:40 PM

4,597 posts, read 1,930,262 times
Weed is a powerful tool that keeps the peasant class sedated and under control.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:44 PM

6,396 posts, read 3,002,598 times
I love how the article calls it "cannabis use disorder". Dumb druggies will find some other way to ruin their lives if you take away their pot.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:47 PM

26,583 posts, read 19,467,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Weed is a powerful tool that keeps the peasant class sedated and under control.
That's about the best point made on this whole thread. Thank you.

I'd say smartphones are in the same category. Anything to distract the mind from what's going on around you.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The biggest threat a pothead is likely to present is to a sleeve of Oreos and a jar of peanut butter.
I've smoked pot most days for over forty years, and have never associated it with increased hunger. Smoking with friends has never involved bags of M&Ms or tubs of ice cream, and I don't even think I've observed it amongst others.

To me, pot does enhance the taste of food though, and there are a huge amount of people who have a garbage diet and a seemingly limited ability to control what goes into their mouths ... so I can see why people would confuse enhanced taste, with hunger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies