Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 05:57 PM

22,515 posts, read 12,068,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
When you start with the population of Birmingham, and have such an odd society as the Amish which could actually completely fade in the next decade due to kids deciding to leave, because they want Iphones, it'd be darn hard to take over the country.
LOL! Even the Old Order Amish have cellphones. They use car batteries and diesel generators to charge them up.

https://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-telephones/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 06:10 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,328,655 times
This would probably be an upgrade compared to the smut culture we have now propagated globally by Hollywood. They have spread the classical liberal movement far and wide, normalizing things that are of questionable value to society.

To this day I question whether the sexual liberation movement and everything that has come since was a good thing or not. I would say that it takes all types to make a healthy society, and no individual group should be oppressed to benefit another, and we should try to respect one another's value systems. That's hard to do when we are wired to want to control others and assimilate them into our value systems. No olive branches are being extended to the other side these days... it's an "us versus them" mentality at least if you are plugged into the media matrix.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:17 PM

22,515 posts, read 12,068,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Hispanics are the fastest growing demographic within the Mormon church.
The number of Hispanic Mormons more than doubled in just one decade (2000 to 2010).

Orthodox Jews and devout Muslims also have larger families compared to secular folks.

All of the groups with the highest birth rates in America are highly religious groups.
It seems reasonable to assume that the U.S. will become more conservative in the long-run as these groups will have greater influence in politics.

Although the Amish are a very small part of the current U.S. population, their growth rate is exponential and their population doubles in size every 20 years. The American Amish have the highest fertility rate in the entire world (tied with the African nation of Niger). Amish families typically have 6 to 8 children, in some Amish communities they might average as high as 9 children per family.

If the Amish fertility rate remains the same over the next 200 years, the Amish will number nearly 200 million persons by the year 2200:

YEAR - Population Size
----------------------

2000 - 170,000
2020 - 340,000
2040 - 680,000
2060 - 1,360,000
2080 - 2,720,000
2100 - 5,440,000
2120 - 10,880,000
2140 - 21,760,000
2160 - 43,520,000
2180 - 87,040,000
2200 - 174,080,000
There have been articles written (even a story on 60 minutes some years back) that Amish have a problem with inbreeding. Since very few people convert to the Amish faith, the only way any new blood gets introduced is, for the most part, through adoption of children. The Amish do foster children and often end up adopting them. If these adopted children stay with the faith as adults, they will bring in new blood into the lines. Then there are the girls who have gotten impregnated by outsiders during rumspringa.

All that said, unless more new blood is brought into the group, inbreeding will be a big problem.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:34 PM

24,756 posts, read 9,549,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don't know if OP is joking or not, but IMHO, the future of America is strongly Hispanic. Hispanics still dominate immigration and will act more pronounced as the birthrate of US citizens continues downward.
Based on the data, I have to agree. Hispanic birthrates are higher than anyone else.

And once they figure out that Democrats hate religion, we’re going to see a larger shift in Hispanics voting Republican. Which many already so. Hispanics aren’t monolithic like other demographics.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:40 PM

63,089 posts, read 29,284,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Based on the data, I have to agree. Hispanic birthrates are higher than anyone else.

And once they figure out that Democrats hate religion, we’re going to see a larger shift in Hispanics voting Republican. Which many already so. Hispanics aren’t monolithic like other demographics.
I don't think that most Democrats hate religion. The only thing that might shift the Hispanic vote and only somewhat would be if the Republicans started to embrace illegal immigration, amnesty and open borders.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:05 PM

16,140 posts, read 10,822,896 times
An American theocracy would be a disaster.
There are some Christian sects in the US that will not allow women to vote because they would be asserting authority over men. The Amish would take us back to 1830. The Mormons would be living in a communal polygamous society if they could get away with it. I live in the 21st century. That scene is too bizarre even for us.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:30 PM

37,518 posts, read 61,561,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I agree. As did the founding Fathers, they had just left countries that were under a theocracy. they were well aware of the problems of theocracies.

I grew up attending a Baptist church, they complain about Catholics all the time, But I assure you that if Baptists were given that same level of authority it would soon be much worse.

Quote:
... There are some Christian sects in the US that will not allow women to vote because they would be asserting authority over men.
Hold on now. I just read that to my Dw, we can not think of any denomination that does that. We know a few who teach that voting is sinful, but that and for everyone, male and female. I can not picture any church that would limit voting to only males.

What denomination are you thinking of?

Quote:
.... The Amish would take us back to 1830
No.

You completely misunderstand them. They want to be set apart for their faith. They have no desire to make anyone else do that also.

Quote:
... The Mormons would be living in a communal polygamous society if they could get away with it.
No, there are Mormon splinter groups, that teach the 'bleed the dragon' doctrine, but for the most part 99% of Mormons do not want that.

For splinter groups I am thinking of groups like:
Apostolic United Brethren, Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Bountiful, British Columbia Community, Church of Jesus Christ (Original Doctrine) Inc. Latter Day Church of Christ (Kingston clan), Righteous Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Saints of the Last Days, Centennial Park group, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Kingdom of God, and Independent Mormon fundamentalists

But these groups have already done what you are suggesting. They have isolated themselves so they can live the lifestyle they want.

Literally no group wants to form a theocracy in the USA. [okay there may be a handful of individual ministers, but no congregation would support such an idea.]

Quote:
... I live in the 21st century. That scene is too bizarre even for us.
You, me, every Christian in the nation and all of our Founding Fathers would agree.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
How do they educate themselves on candidates and issues? Or do they just do what the church elders say?
Actually, the Amish have their own newspapers and other periodicals.

https://religionunplugged.com/news/2...nce?format=amp

And while perhaps they don’t vote in large numbers, they are re not prohibited from voting.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:37 PM

9,224 posts, read 6,382,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There are some Christian sects in the US that will not allow women to vote because they would be asserting authority over men. The Amish would take us back to 1830. The Mormons would be living in a communal polygamous society if they could get away with it. I live in the 21st century. That scene is too bizarre even for us.
Really! Trans is ok but poly isn't? Poly activities are far less harmful than trans.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 570,607 times
Love the Amish. They are some badass mofo’s. Much respect.
They live all over near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies