Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 09:12 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In a college class I took a couple years ago, they predicted that Europe would be majority Muslim in 20-30 years and the US in 40-50 years. Muslims have far more kids than any other religion. Christians have the fewest.
Large amounts of children are more in the refugee communities. Most other Muslims in the US are wealthy and educated and have far fewer children for those reasons. Europe is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 09:15 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Do the Amish even vote? I think it’s against their religion…they certainly aren’t allowed to watch Fox News.
Yes, Amish vote.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:17 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes, Amish vote.
How do they educate themselves on candidates and issues? Or do they just do what the church elders say?

Old 06-25-2022, 09:27 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
The exponential growth of Mormonism and the Amish across America has not slowed down.
If this trend of high birth rates continues, Mormons and the Amish will become a significant national voting block and will have a very strong influence over U.S. politics.

https://i.ibb.co/KhkvvzN/USA-Mormon-and-Amish.gif

The Righteous & Faithful will inherit America, this is destiny, God willing!

Don't be silly. Latinos will take over the country slow and steady. Soon enough, they will be the largest ethnicity. And, as soon as this happens, both dems and reps will go down the sewers as Latinos will have their majority in senate and the house - and they don't really give rat's tail about WASPs.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:35 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In a college class I took a couple years ago, they predicted that Europe would be majority Muslim in 20-30 years and the US in 40-50 years. Muslims have far more kids than any other religion. Christians have the fewest.
Actually, atheist and agnostic individuals produce the fewest children. Practicing Christians, that varies by denomination, and to an extent, race and ethnicity. Catholics, especially from Latin America, tend to have larger families. Presbyterians, Methodists, not as many kids.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:43 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,016,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Don't be silly. Latinos will take over the country slow and steady. Soon enough, they will be the largest ethnicity. And, as soon as this happens, both dems and reps will go down the sewers as Latinos will have their majority in senate and the house - and they don't really give rat's tail about WASPs.
Yep. Blacks will go from being "oppressed" by whites to being "oppressed" by Hispanics. They can't win.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:11 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
I sure would like to know where that map came from.

I've lived among the LDS all my life; half of my family are LDS, but I'm not a member and have never been one.

If the OP's prediction is based on the belief all the LDS have large families, that's only partially true. Most of the faithful members limit the number of children they have in far greater numbers than those in the church who have many children.

They usually have 2-4 kids and limit their offspring to that. The families with more than that are rare, and those with more than 5 are exceptionally rare.

My numbers are relative and observation-based. I know the LDS typically have about 1 more child than the average non-Mormon couple these days in urban areas. In rural areas, the LDS may have 2 more than their neighbors, but their neighbors are more likely to have 1 more child than their city cousins.

The faith grows because it has a very strong missionary effort, and once baptized, a new member is always on the church's rolls forever, but the fact is about half of the new members fall away from the church eventually. And about half of those who grow up in the religion also fall away and become inactive as adults.

These days, divorce is almost as common in the LDS as it is everywhere, but divorced members do tend to re-marry other LDS, whether the couple is active in the church or not.
It's quite common these couples raise combined families, and when both adults bring their children into a combined marriage, they will often choose to have one more child afterward.

So the LDS population is growing, but it's not exponential growth. There will be no Mormon population explosion in the USA.

And, for another fact, the LDS are not all ultra-conservative. Far from it. While the membership is likely more conservative than liberal as a whole, they are moderate in either direction, and have always been quite centrist in their politics.

I say this not from any antipathy toward the church. They have always been much more like everyone else than different, and I have many lifelong friends and relatives who are LDS who are fine people in all regards.

Last edited by banjomike; 06-26-2022 at 03:30 AM..

Old 06-26-2022, 07:53 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,727 times
I would throw Orthodox Jews into the mix also. It's all about math and demographics. Secular people have very few kids, far below replacement. For the future look at the Middle East after WW2 with a large secular movement in many nations such as Iran, Iraq etc. The devout Muslims with a high birth rate overtook them and by the 1980's the reset began.

Give a 50 to 200 year frame and it could easily happen. Secular couples with zero or one child is a recipe for extinction. A book titled Shall the Religious inherit the Earth explains this very well.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 06-26-2022 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-26-2022, 07:58 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Religious people have more children - true. Also true that the rate of apostasy from fundamentalist groups is high, often 50%. The far left has a big issue with sub replacement fertility, center left and conservatives doesn't. Amish don't get involved with gentile politics so their growth has no effect on politics. Mormons seem more center right given their history of bad treatment from mainstream Christian America.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:03 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I would throw Orthodox Jews into the mix also. It's all about math and demographics. Secular people have very few kids, far below replacement. For the future look at the Middle East after WW2 with a large secular movement in many nations such as Iran, Iraq etc. The devout Muslims with a high birth rate overtook them and by the 1980's the reset began.

Give a 50 to 200 year frame and it could easily happen. Secular couples with zero or one child is a recipe for extinction.
Extreme issues with zoning debates between Monroe and Kiryas Joel, NY, (99% Hassidic Jewish population), have emerged. Kiryas Joel has around 60% of its population under age 18, with exponential growth rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies