Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM

57 posts, read 179,150 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

Hope you all are doing well. I need some information ASAP. I think I am finally close to decide where I want to live. I have been doing some reseach lately and I think Smyrna, ME is a very strong choice. I was wondering if someone knows an Amish contact, business, church or community I can write personally.
I heard that the Amish of Smyrna are more friendly to outsiders and they sometimes are welcomed in their churches. I like that. Some communities tend to be more distant and cold in regards to outsiders.
Does any one knows of anyon Amish in Smyrna particulary, who is interested in selling an acre or 2 of land, but in the country side? I aslo would like to contact an Amish builder to see if they can assist me with building a very simple rustic structure 4 living. I like to learn to sustain myself from the land. I think is very hard work but also very rewarding and peaceful. Please do not delay your comments, I really need some help with this, and thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:42 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
The Amish don't sell land. They buy land and improve what they buy. Their work ethic is impressive. They do sell kits for houses, pre-made buildings and metal roofs. Call Kauffman Metals. Let the phone ring. If Andrew is speaking with a customer he won't interrupt that customer to answer the phone.

Kauffman Metals
2664 US Route 2
Smyrna Mills, ME 04780-5120
Phone: (207) 757-7122

Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The Amish don't sell land. They buy land and improve what they buy. Their work ethic is impressive. They do sell kits for houses, pre-made buildings and metal roofs. Call Kauffman Metals. Let the phone ring. If Andrew is speaking with a customer he won't interrupt that customer to answer the phone.

Kauffman Metals
2664 US Route 2
Smyrna Mills, ME 04780-5120
Phone: (207) 757-7122
That is exactly why I like the Amish because of their work ethics. How many businesses you find today with that kind of values? Most of the big corporations chit chat about their high standards and integrity, but it is far from being so. It is all about profits, that is all they care not integrity or work ethics. So do you know the gentleman personally? Is he nice to approach, I meant, pleasant to speak to? Thank you for the contact information, and your time.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:16 AM

Oh, by the way. Could you tell me how is like living in that part of ME. Are you native from that area? Is people friendly. In general what is your experience?
Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 AM

I'm a little south of there. I bought my metal roof from them. I know a driver who drives the Amish out into the woods to hunt and picks them up at the end of the day. I just know them through by business contacts. They are very reliable.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:40 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
It's a beautiful area and I think you will find almost every one to be welcoming (my brother lives in Oakfield with his family). The Amish bought farmland from my uncle.......they have a sly sense of humor, most people don't see that.
Good luck!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It's a beautiful area and I think you will find almost every one to be welcoming (my brother lives in Oakfield with his family). The Amish bought farmland from my uncle.......they have a sly sense of humor, most people don't see that.
Good luck!
Hi!
It is a beautiful area indeed. I visited not long ago and I was impressed.
The people are polite, more relaxed and seemed happier too.
I can't wait to relocate to Northen ME. I wish I could stay longer and look around. All I need is a contact right now. I was hoping to find at least 3 acress of farm land and an Amish builder, but it is such a little time for such a vast project. Hope it all work out sometime soon.
In your opinion which areas you like best and why?
Thanks for your comments.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 PM

A home was built several years ago in Patten. The owner was in Pennsylvania and the builder was local. There were weekly phone conversations between them. The sheet rocking was done and window trim in place. The owner wanted to know when the painting would be done so they could put the finished floor down. The builder mentioned that there was only one change.

"Change? I don't want any changes. I want it just the way the plans are laid out."

"But Mistuh, If we did it like the plans showed, you'd of had two bathrooms in the same house!"

Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Such_a_Turist View Post
Hi!
It is a beautiful area indeed. I visited not long ago and I was impressed.
The people are polite, more relaxed and seemed happier too.
I can't wait to relocate to Northen ME. I wish I could stay longer and look around. All I need is a contact right now. I was hoping to find at least 3 acress of farm land and an Amish builder, but it is such a little time for such a vast project. Hope it all work out sometime soon.
In your opinion which areas you like best and why?
Thanks for your comments.

There are more Amish around Smyrna, but also a community in Fort Fairfield. More coming too, I hear.
Hard to pick a "best area", depends on how big a town, who you want to market your produce towards, etc.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:28 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
I need to go to Smyrna soon. I'll take the camera with me. Are there particular things you'd like me to photograph?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine