Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 09:25 AM

238 posts, read 97,572 times

Advertisements

Western allies receive increasingly ‘sobering’ updates on Ukraine’s counteroffensive: ‘This is the most difficult time of the war’

“For them to really make progress that would change the balance of this conflict, I think, it’s extremely, highly unlikely,” a senior western diplomat told CNN.

“Russians have a number of defensive lines and they [Ukrainian forces] haven’t really gone through the first line,” said a senior Western diplomat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ar/ar-AA1eWQy2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 09:33 AM

755 posts, read 510,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Talking about "psychopathy" - that's exactly what was coming from Ukraine from 2014 on, and Russians could see it ( while the West couldn't.)
This is just an example.

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/statu...93097065558016

This craziness was wide-spread in Ukraine, (even though the evidence of it is carefully cleansed from Youtube and other media,) but actions have consequences, even when the West is *not aware* by design of those actions.

Again - this is a good example of typical ( and delusional) way of thinking of Ukrainians of different ranks, governmental ranks including, that all countries are of the same weight, and Ukraine (a 30 year old state) and Russia (a 1,000 year old state) are in the same weight category.

No they are not, and Ukraine is not match to even *slimmed down* Russia. Nowhere close.

Please spare me your Ukr. propaganda. I know more of Ukrainian crimes than you care.
Here's me:
Originally Posted by G in MP
There's no tangent, just the main point that Russia is a narcissistic/psychopathic world player. They'll exaggerate the significance of any slight done onto them, while at the same time practicing absolutely dirty diplomacy.

And then Erasure responds with a vid of some Ukrainian teenagers chanting, as moral equivalency to Russia's SPO which so far has already killed hundreds of thousands, wrecked the lives of millions, and caused mega-billions in damage. Thank you Erasure, for proving my point exactly.

The second part of your post perfectly illustrates Russia's narcissism and psychopathy.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:35 AM

755 posts, read 510,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's the liberal's line. Just give us more money.
We conservatives don't buy it. Giving more money to San Francisco, Washington DC, Baltimore, or Chicago just isn't going to work. It never has.

There is no reason to cancel student loans. Individual students, yes, in some cases. But not a blanket cancellation.
The US budget is $6,000 billion. I leave it to you to figure out how much cash we have sent to Ukraine, but whatever it is, it won't make a dent in that budget.

There is a war going on. Been going on since 2014, in fact, when Russia decided they should have Crimea. The idea is to stop it where it is. After all, we have seen in history where aggressive countries simply gobbled up one country after another with no end until the aggressors were destroyed at great cost. I'm thinking Germany. Japan. And even Iraq, when they invaded Kuwait. Iraq was stopped cold.
I can't rep you again, but I totally agree on all that.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:27 AM

4,644 posts, read 3,839,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestar1 View Post
Western allies receive increasingly ‘sobering’ updates on Ukraine’s counteroffensive: ‘This is the most difficult time of the war’

“For them to really make progress that would change the balance of this conflict, I think, it’s extremely, highly unlikely,” a senior western diplomat told CNN.

“Russians have a number of defensive lines and they [Ukrainian forces] haven’t really gone through the first line,” said a senior Western diplomat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ar/ar-AA1eWQy2

What did the US/NATO expect with no air support? With neither side having significant fighter jet support, this is just a slog WW1-style.

Does the US just want to somehow bleed the Russian army to nothing? Whereas Ukraine wants to get Russia out immediately. Seems like the west is intent on destroying the Russian military as the primary goal.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:42 AM

25,733 posts, read 17,496,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
What did the US/NATO expect with no air support? With neither side having significant fighter jet support, this is just a slog WW1-style.

Does the US just want to somehow bleed the Russian army to nothing? Whereas Ukraine wants to get Russia out immediately. Seems like the west is intent on destroying the Russian military as the primary goal.
Yes. The West along with some scattered countries like Japan who are not "The West".

It's a worthy goal, destroying Russia. Russia has displayed its intentions for all to see. They used both fuel and food as tools to force dependent countries to give Russia what it wanted. Russia has bullied and blustered its way through history. It's time for it to stop.
The destruction of Russia will be done economically, which is not WW1 style. The ruble is down Year to Date 30 to 40% against all major currencies. For a country who manufactures as little as Russia, that rate of exchange will deadly.
The much talked about stalemate where Russia cannot solidify gains, will end with a Russian withdrawal.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:08 PM
bu2

24,184 posts, read 15,032,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Yep....if you are fighting for your survival as a nation.....and make no mistake ...Ukraine is...
and their military and general population are highly motivated....
Russian troops and populace ....not so much....

See...that's where Putin has a problem....he has sold this to his people
as just being a "special operation"....and his people are starting to see heavy casualties....
getting harder and harder to hide that .....

Putin is still trying to keep it "business as usual" on the home front....
not putting his country on a war footing....
and in the meantime western sanctions continue to dig deeper and deeper .....

Putin is between a rock and hard place....
I'm sure, deep down, he wishes he had never started this mess in the first place....
only he is to blame ...
he received some very bad intel from his yes men.....
And eventually, the Russian people's patience will break as it did in WWI and Afghanistan. Or they will financially break. They had the US to supply equipment in WWII. Russia will break whether their army does or not.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:41 PM

26,877 posts, read 22,739,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Here's me:
Originally Posted by G in MP
There's no tangent, just the main point that Russia is a narcissistic/psychopathic world player. They'll exaggerate the significance of any slight done onto them, while at the same time practicing absolutely dirty diplomacy.

And then Erasure responds with a vid of some Ukrainian teenagers chanting, as moral equivalency to Russia's SPO which so far has already killed hundreds of thousands, wrecked the lives of millions, and caused mega-billions in damage. Thank you Erasure, for proving my point exactly.

The second part of your post perfectly illustrates Russia's narcissism and psychopathy.

Not so fast G in MP, not so fast. Let's look at the video in question one more time. So what do we see there? These are school kids, in front of their school, chanting "death to Russians." What else do we see there? The banner of Ukrainian Nationalist organization, sponsoring this event AT SCHOOL.

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/statu...93097065558016

In the "Western world," where Ukrainians claim they belong, this would be a scandal on the national level, but not in Ukraine. Because for delusional Ukrainian mind, if Russians "are bad," it's only normal to encourage to kill them all already back in 2013.
Besides, Americans obviously supported the Molotov-throwing nationalists on Maidan, because everyone understands that if it were not for them killing the riot police, there would have been no victory for the government, approved by Americans. Therefore anti-Russian sentiment must be a good, natural thing - what else?

Not only that - this video is not some "isolated episode" as you are trying to present it, it's a sign of a SYSTEM OF THINGS in Ukraine since 2014 on, the avalanche of the rabid nationalist propaganda based exclusively on "why we hate Russians and why we are different from Russians."

This rabid hatred and aggression was coming from top governmental level, starting ( but not limited to) the head of the Committee on Humanitarian and Information Policy of Ukrainian Rada Nikita Poturaev, to the chairman of the subcommittee on science and education, I. Farion. The amount of craziness coming from their speeches was unsurpassable. And if it could be outdone, then it was by the TV shows, where the anchors were discussing with children, how shameful and inappropriate it is to speak Russian in Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVpsUOS7IjQ

Of course I was not keeping all the evidence of the Nationalist takeover in Ukraine, how rabid, hateful and anti-Russian it was all these years, but the South-Eastern Ukrainian channels were discussing/showing it all. ( The very channels that were shut down by Zelensky by the end of 2021.)

But for delusional nationalist Ukrainian mind all this simply didn't exist, or even it it did, it was all inconsequential.

No connection between "actions" and "consequences" - none whatsoever, no understanding of what "freedoms and democracy" is, as much as they claim that that's what they are "fighting for."
Here is yet another good example of Poturayev's mind - (a person responsible for humanitarian and information policies in Ukraine minding you) and the mind of Ukrainian state in general -

"In an interview with Ukrinform Poturaev said that freedom of religion is one of the fundamental European values. At the same time, he is sure that the authorities of the country, by banning the UOC, do not violate freedom of religion."

(As in - "it's only natural, if/when we violate all the laws of "freedom and democracy," since we are dealing with Russians here.")

It was always "the innocent Ukraine attacked by aggressive Russia, " and of course for the Westerners that were not aware of things I am talking about here, this seemed to be the case.

But not for the Russians, who were observing what was going on right across their border, where they used to have part of their families.

That Putin failed to squash this hateful nationalist state that was blossoming on Russian border, that he failed to nip it in the bud back in 2014 is a whole different story, because of his ineptitude and corruption the death and destruction that take place in Ukraine ( and Russia) now are unforgivable.

However talking about lack of the "moral equivalency" between Ukrainian and Russian states is futile.

Because that "equivalency" is very close; in fact "morals" of Ukrainian nationalist state are much worse if you ask me.
Fortunately, Ukrainian state is less powerful too.

Last edited by erasure; 08-08-2023 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-08-2023, 06:26 PM

15,616 posts, read 9,274,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
Damn I hope he gets back to uploading videos soon. Without him we only have Deny's worthless BS to go by.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 08-08-2023 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-08-2023, 06:42 PM
pdw

2,723 posts, read 3,143,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yes. The West along with some scattered countries like Japan who are not "The West".

It's a worthy goal, destroying Russia. Russia has displayed its intentions for all to see. They used both fuel and food as tools to force dependent countries to give Russia what it wanted. Russia has bullied and blustered its way through history. It's time for it to stop.
The destruction of Russia will be done economically, which is not WW1 style. The ruble is down Year to Date 30 to 40% against all major currencies. For a country who manufactures as little as Russia, that rate of exchange will deadly.
The much talked about stalemate where Russia cannot solidify gains, will end with a Russian withdrawal.
Politicians say dumb things during war time. Regime change in Moscow appears to be highly dangerous by all experts who’ve done analysis on it. You don’t make friends by beating a country into submission. The goal should be for them to leave Ukraine and then I think the world should move on. Putin sucks, but for the time being the most likely alternative seems like these Wagner maniacs and that’s a much worse outcome

Old 08-08-2023, 07:16 PM

4,970 posts, read 2,747,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Damn I hope he gets back to uploading videos soon. Without him we only have Deny's worthless BS to go by.
lol...I really can't argue with that although Denys puts out videos that are usually interesting..I don't know what happened to the other guy..'reporting from Ukraine'...he has pretty good front line reports and gets it done in 4 or 5 minutes..but we've always got johnboy posting daily ISW updates..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies