Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.64%
No 257 50.69%
Unsure 49 9.66%
Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 09:08 AM

5,309 posts, read 3,882,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Even if this is true - and I’m allowing for some squish room because actual news out of the war is notably lacking - it’s hard to imagine Ukraine is losing badly. Russia’s military has badly underperformed by any measure. I don’t think it’s wrong to say that Ukraine has won in a sense, as much by their own grit as because Russia’s military appears to really suck.
Ya think? Reality. Try it sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 09:18 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,704,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I'm sick and tired of people saying anyone disagreeing with the narrative on the Russia/Ukraine war is in league with or being paid off by Russia. It implies treasonous action against anyone looking to have a discussion on this issue and it's rather cowardly to try to intimidate anyone who disagrees with the narrative on this war in to silence.

This war is being fought as much in the media as it is on the ground, from a geopolitical perspective, and to that end lies, lies and more lies are being employed liberally by both sides. None of us really knows what is going on in theater and each side is relying on the lies they like better, so it would be foolish not to question the narrative, so long as you realize that the info you are using to question it is likely to be as full of lies as the info that is informing the official narrative itself.
Just because you don't know what is going on doesn't mean noone does.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:21 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,561,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’ve never watched Fox News but even I know Tucker is pro Russia. Just do a Google search for - Tucker Carlson Russia. Example of search results:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...tin-propaganda

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...a/11757930002/
Those are third party sources that are caricaturing his comments. It’s nothing more than Chinese whispers. I don’t watch a lot of Carlson but whenever I did and the topic of Ukraine was brought up, he criticized aid to Ukraine and the US narrative around it. That’s a far cry from being pro-Russia. There are more than two sides in this situation, we’re not in a Disney movie.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:21 AM

25,799 posts, read 17,567,944 times
Is there a plan to recapture Crimea without a fight?
Seems like it. For a long time we have read articles documenting past battles and the extreme cost of taking Crimea. But now?

Ukraine wants to receive JASSM cruise missiles for F-16 from the US. which can help liberate Crimea.
The fact is that the Storm Shadow and SCALP missiles, which have already been transferred to Ukraine, are not compatible with the F-16, but the JASSM is.
JASSM-equipped F-16s could be crucial to the long-term plan to capture Crimea without a fight," said Brynn Tannehill, an analyst at the American research corporation RAND. They have a range of 370 to 980 km and are designed to destroy bunkers, fortifications, bridges and air defense equipment.

There are lots of videos out there featuring the JASSM. 1000 pound warhead.
It would be wonderful if Crimea could pull this off without an invasion. But standby. Rooskateers will be nattering about failed offensive until the last Russia soldier leaves Ukraine.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:46 AM

761 posts, read 518,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
"Good guys?"

Where did anyone ever get the idea that the Urkainians, or the Americans either for that matter, are supposed to be the "good guys?

There are several who gleefully and continually post that the Ukrainian government is corrupt too, that the U.S. isn't a peace loving nation ether, ... on and on about how the west is no better than Russia.

So?

When the feathers have settled from Russia's invasion of Ukraine, it won't depend on who are the "good guys."

It will depend on who throws in the towel. One side will need to give up. Makes no difference if you're a bad guy or a good one, at some point the realization sets in that the game is over, here aren't too many moves left and none of them are winners.
I get bored interacting with these Putniks. I had one of them post at me, "Oh, you think America is the good guy, well NO they're not!" And then proceeds to paint international relations like it's 6 graders passing notes to each other....Dear America, do you love me? Circle yes or no. Signed, Russia.

It's so naive and asinine, I just can't anymore with these people.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:52 AM

14,845 posts, read 8,259,779 times
Quote:
It’s hard to imagine Ukraine is losing badly.
Winning and losing is not always clear. For example, America lost the Vietnam War, but we killed three millions southeast Asians, so did we really lose? For that matter, the Soviets curbstomped the Afghanis but not only did they lose that war, they went bankrupt and collapsed.

It's perfectly possible for Russia to be killing Ukrainians at a 10-to-1 rate and still lose. But I have no idea what the K ratio is, nor do I think it is that important. I just think anyone who repeats Ukrainian claims is either dishonest or a moron. Russian claims I'm sure are inflated as well, but Ukrainian numbers not only don't make any sense, but are even debunked by pro-Ukraine western media.

Hell, Ukraine even claims that during the counteroffensive, Russian losses have been multiple times greater than Ukraine's, when that makes literally zero sense.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2356651.html

Quote:
Russia’s military has badly underperformed by any measure. I don’t think it’s wrong to say that Ukraine has won in a sense, as much by their own grit as because Russia’s military appears to really suck.
Russia has not performed as well as many thought, but the Ukraine of 2022 was not the Ukraine of 2014. Ukraine's entire Army had essentially been trained to NATO standards, and had been dug in and well-equipped for a defensive war specifically designed to hold back a rapid Russian advance.

Without Javelins/NLAWS, Ukraine would have been overrun in a few days. Russia adjusted to a more attrition-based warfare, which forced America to basically throw America's entire stockpile of artillery and HIMARS, among other things at Ukraine to try to prevent a Ukrainian collapse.

While Ukraine lacks airpower and cruise missiles, it is fairly well equipped. In some ways Ukraine is actually better-equipped than Russia. So painting the war as some kind of David vs Goliath where Ukraine is hanging in there by pure determination is not exactly reality even if Russia has the overall advantage. Which is either because of poor planning by the United States, or the unwillingness of the United States to actually give Ukraine what it needs to win.

Quote:
I’ve never watched Fox News but even I know Tucker is pro Russia.
Tucker Carlson isn't so much pro-Russia as he is against the neocons who have been pushing this war since at least 2014. Republicans are split between Russia-hawks and China-hawks. The China-hawks want to ally with Russia against China, while the Russia-hawks want to take Russia and China on at the same time, but believe they can knock Russia out quickly before moving on to China.

Tucker Carlson, Donald Trump, Pat Buchanan, among others, are really just China-hawks who think it is foolish to pick a fight with Russia when our real enemy is China. Their typical view is that we cannot defeat Russia in Ukraine, and by trying we will just create a Russia/China alliance that will ultimately bring down the US dollar, and with it the US empire, if not America itself.

Old 08-23-2023, 10:04 AM

I remember a joke my puerto rican mother-in-law told me years ago. A mother puts her misbehaving son in the corner, tells him if he moves one foot out of it, he's gonna get the chankla (meaning, a spanking by mom's sandal). The kid gets ballsy and starts backtalking, so off comes the chankla, and the kids gets a good one! But he feels he won that one...coz while she was busy tearing that butt up, he moved his foot.

That's Russia in Ukraine, with whatever "win" they'll get out of it, if they'll be able to hold onto any territory.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:03 AM

8,996 posts, read 11,885,467 times
Quote:
I’ve never watched Fox News but even I know Tucker is pro Russia. Just do a Google search for - Tucker Carlson Russia. Example of search results:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...tin-propaganda

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...a/11757930002/
Putin loves his American shill so much that after Carlson was fired from Foxnews, Russian state media offered him jobs within a day. This was unprecedented. Never before in American media history has a disgraced entertainment show host who was fired for lying to the American people been offered jobs immediately by Russian state media.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2327099.html

Old 08-23-2023, 11:04 AM

Whoops, looks like Prigozhin's plane was either carelessly smoking or fell out of a window, not far from Moscow. Taken down by Russia's air defense haha!

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...t=share_button

Old 08-23-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Whoops, looks like Prigozhin's plane was either carelessly smoking or fell out of a window, not far from Moscow. Taken down by Russia's air defense haha!

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...t=share_button
Oh snap, Russia's Fed air agency quick to state that Proggy was in that plane! Prigozhin got Putin'ed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies