Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 06:45 PM

4,984 posts, read 2,754,611 times

Advertisements

Denys update...Ukraine is hanging on to Bakhmut by a thread as Russia takes more of the city...and explosions at the St. Petersburgh airport..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe2pyoh9ldk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 07:00 PM
pdw

2,729 posts, read 3,147,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yanukovich fled the country because otherwise he would have been killed.

You can't imagine the maddening crowds on a rampage that were hunting down anyone they would deem "unacceptable" there.

So where these 30+ billion were, and how he could "bring it" with him while running for his life - I have no idea.
He had a bunch of trucks following him filled with cash. This is all documented. He’s living it up in Moscow now. Ask a local in Donbass or the South what they think of him and they’ll probably agree with the rest of the country in that he was the worst president the country has had, and heavily responsible for the division in the country today, when he campaigned on unity between the different regions of the country. To put it into perspective for those of you on the right, it’s like painting yourself as a Bill Clinton, a centrist popular in Southern States who generally didn’t pursue controversial partisan goals, then ripping off your Scooby Doo mask and exposing yourself as an Antifa/Communist type.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:20 PM

26,893 posts, read 22,760,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S.

I hear more and more rumors about a push for at least some kind of a peace deal, because of the faltering Ukrainian offensive.
But in this case Zelensky will have to go, because the fault of destroying too many troops in Bakhmut needlessly, that were supposed to be spared for that upcoming offensive ( as the Western advisers insisted) would be on him.

His government on another hand keeps on saying that the problem here is not the "defense of Bakhmut," but the shortage of ammunition, that the West didn't supply to Ukraine in a timely manner.

OK, so I've heard it from Ukrainian sources yesterday. ( I am with Natalie here, I have hard time figureing out what's the realistic number of Ukrainian troops at this point, even if I've heard that Prigozhin is puttin the number of killed Ukrainians in Bakhmut alone at 38,000.)

But today the "Redacted" confirms the same thing - apparently Ukrainians are running low on people for the offensive, even if they advertise the recruitment of women and grab teens from the streets.

But you can't get by with those on the REAL front lines, so I suspect the LGBTE community ( and all the "politically correct people" believing that "gender is a social construct") are going to have a fit, while watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3sX7LHrNSE

P.S. This is to confirm yet again the forcible mobilization in Ukraine.
There is no end to these videos - this is the latest one.

https://t.me/ASupersharij/18390

Last edited by erasure; 04-26-2023 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-26-2023, 07:26 PM

37,951 posts, read 17,966,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
He had a bunch of trucks following him filled with cash. This is all documented. He’s living it up in Moscow now. Ask a local in Donbass or the South what they think of him and they’ll probably agree with the rest of the country in that he was the worst president the country has had, and heavily responsible for the division in the country today, when he campaigned on unity between the different regions of the country. To put it into perspective for those of you on the right, it’s like painting yourself as a Bill Clinton, a centrist popular in Southern States who generally didn’t pursue controversial partisan goals, then ripping off your Scooby Doo mask and exposing yourself as an Antifa/Communist type.
hahahahaha After the American led coup in 2014, Ukraine started bombing Donbas. Ask the them what they think? We already know. Granted you don't.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:37 PM

8,982 posts, read 11,862,977 times
Great interview with Yale Professor Jeffrey Sonnenfeld. The video is 21 minutes long. It is one of the best I have seen. The reporter asked some tough questions.

1. Russia is selling more oil than ever before, but at a loss. This is good news for the world because it helps keep prices down. Saudi Arabia's cutting oil production does not help Russia.

2. The Russian Ruble is at the lowest level since the invasion. Normally, this makes Russian products cheaper and more attractive to buyers, but Russia is not making anything worthwhile to sell. If you are a brave traveler, Russia is a bargain right now.

3. Some Chinese and Indian companies have left Russia. This is one is a surprise to me.

https://youtu.be/KSEzKPUzRdc

Old 04-26-2023, 09:06 PM

8,207 posts, read 3,756,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Great interview with Yale Professor Jeffrey Sonnenfeld. The video is 21 minutes long. It is one of the best I have seen. The reporter asked some tough questions.

1. Russia is selling more oil than ever before, but at a loss. This is good news for the world because it helps keep prices down. Saudi Arabia's cutting oil production does not help Russia.

2. The Russian Ruble is at the lowest level since the invasion. Normally, this makes Russian products cheaper and more attractive to buyers, but Russia is not making anything worthwhile to sell. If you are a brave traveler, Russia is a bargain right now.

3. Some Chinese and Indian companies have left Russia. This is one is a surprise to me.

https://youtu.be/KSEzKPUzRdc
1. No. There were papers on this topic already.

2. No. The lowest was something like 140. It's 80 now, give or take.

3. Maybe

Last edited by serger; 04-26-2023 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-26-2023, 09:19 PM

More mysterious fire in Russia? This could have been anything and most likely an accident.

https://youtu.be/8ITiKU8NRx0

Old 04-26-2023, 09:26 PM

JDAM bombs taking out Wagner hideouts.

https://youtu.be/fhYerBBTX2s

Old 04-26-2023, 09:49 PM

26,893 posts, read 22,760,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
He had a bunch of trucks following him filled with cash. This is all documented. He’s living it up in Moscow now.
I see the actual footage of these trucks right here, on the BBC site, but no one can show me cash or how much of it was actually in those trucks. So no proof yet again - it's all hear-say.

https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/multim...ukovych_escape

Quote:
Ask a local in Donbass or the South what they think of him and they’ll probably agree with the rest of the country in that he was the worst president the country has had, and heavily responsible for the division in the country today, when he campaigned on unity between the different regions of the country.
That's what the propagandists would like to make you believe, nine years later after the real events.

Me on another hand - I don't need to ask anyone anything.

See, I was there myself in that Ukraine, in my younger years, on different occasions, for different reasons, in different parts of the country. And I could clearly see already BACK THEN, in Soviet times, how much the Western part of Ukraine differed from the South-Eastern one.

So when someone will tell you again that "Yanukovich is "heavily responsible for the division in the country today" - you can laugh in these people's collective face.

The person responsible for today's division is Poroshenko, who forcibly decided to "unite" something that was living separate lives for a reason. ( Putin was the next person in line responsible for this division.)

And Yanukovich was "the worst president ever," until the country had a taste of living under Poroshenko.

Then people started perceiving life under Yanukovich in a different manner, while looking in retrospective.

Everything is learned in comparison, as you know.

Quote:

To put it into perspective for those of you on the right, it’s like painting yourself as a Bill Clinton, a centrist popular in Southern States who generally didn’t pursue controversial partisan goals, then ripping off your Scooby Doo mask and exposing yourself as an Antifa/Communist type.
That's absolutely NOT what it was, when it comes to Yanukovich.

Last edited by erasure; 04-26-2023 at 10:29 PM..

Old 04-26-2023, 11:52 PM
bu2

24,193 posts, read 15,048,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
OK, let's say your numbers ARE in fact correct. (But every census figure I have seen from the Ukrainian nationalists is based on the assumption that ethnic Russians from the days of Stalin forward are not legitimately where they should be).

The facts remain that:

1. Even before the official war, back to 2014, the following areas had broken away:
--Crimea
--Donetsk region:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donets...e%27s_Republic
--Luhansk region:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhans...e%27s_Republic

2. These areas in (1) above remain a matter of contention, and more importantly,

3. After 1 year and 2 months and counting of this invasion, and Russia getting bogged down into a stalemate for the majority of that time, I am willing to bet that ethnic Russians and ethnic Ukrainians in various areas of the on-paper Ukraine have either taken flight, or been forcibly moved, to areas more friendly to their ethnic group.

Now what will the USA and the West and NATO actually have the political will to do about that? Forcibly restore the status quo ante? To what year? 2021? 2013? Honestly, the political will for the USA/West/NATO to put boots on the ground and do the shooting and killing necessary to restore the 2021 areas of control, let alone the 2013 ones, just is not there.

And now, the areas in question that Russia has are chock full of ethnic Russians, some who already were there, and some (perhaps many more?) who fled there. Do the USA and the West and NATO have the political will to ruthlessly move them, as Stalin did with the Kresy, East Prussia, and Silesia after WW2? Fat chance.

Like Cyprus today, most ethnic Turks no longer live where they (or if they are descendants, their parents or grandparents) were 50 years ago. A good many ethnic Greeks are not where they or their ancestors were 50 years ago either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprus...ile:Cy-map.png

In the former Yugoslavia, a good many Serbs, Croats, Bosniaks, and ethnic Albanians are not where they or their parents were 30 years ago. Populations more or less fled to and ended up where the militias purporting to represent them formed stalemate lines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia...h_entities.png

Call it a hunch, but I suspect ultimately we will end up with some sort of redrawing of the map in a similar fashion in the years to come.
As for the census, it is the national census of Ukraine. You can look up the provinces. I'm not going to link it because you will just spout out more nonsense (like what you put in the parenthese). But anyone who actually has an open mind can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies