Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 209 40.04%
No 263 50.38%
Unsure 50 9.58%
Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 04:18 PM

43,998 posts, read 18,999,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
"Japan is buying Russia oil"!
That's the cry of the naysayers. It's true. Japan is. Japan has bought 750,000 barrels in January and February. Japan imports 3.1M barrels per day.
So Japan has imported 6 hours worth of oil over the last two months.
..... at a profit to Russia of $1.5M

Think that'll save Russia?

April 3

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/japan..._ZPTd-20PU2DmR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 04:42 PM

25,860 posts, read 17,633,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
From the article:
Japan bought around 748,000 barrels of Russian oil for approximately $70 a barrel.
Just like I said. A country who uses 3.1M barrels of oil a day, bought 750,000 barrels from Russia. Over a 2 month period.
Russia produces 10M barrels per day.
The cost to Russia for production is estimated to be 43$ per barrel. So they made 27$ per barrel X 750,000 barrels = $20M
So I was wrong. I said $1.5M. Missed a decimal point.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:12 PM

2,156 posts, read 1,470,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
From the article:
Japan bought around 748,000 barrels of Russian oil for approximately $70 a barrel.
Just like I said. A country who uses 3.1M barrels of oil a day, bought 750,000 barrels from Russia. Over a 2 month period.
Russia produces 10M barrels per day.
The cost to Russia for production is estimated to be 43$ per barrel. So they made 27$ per barrel X 750,000 barrels = $20M
So I was wrong. I said $1.5M. Missed a decimal point.

Who said ONE country has to save Russia? Japan has bypassed the sanctions and 'oil cap'. I wonder if they bought in dollars or another currency. You may not notice the above linked article states that Japan has begun buying Russian oil, which indicates there will be further purchases. Russia has been selling to other nations all along. Indications remain that the oil price cap has failed, and the western coalition is tenuous.
No real indications of a Russian collapse. More indications of US losing influence outside of the G7.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:30 PM

13,782 posts, read 9,889,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I don't think Russia is going to collapse. ...
That Russia would "collapse" is not a serious assertion. Germany was defeated in WW1, had an ignominious peace imposed on it, had a panoply of radical parties... its monarchy was abolished and the country descended into armed revolution... and still it didn't collapse. Russia, during its "time of troubles" in the 16th century, had no recognized czar, the Polish-Lithuanian empire attacking it, mass psychosis among the nobles, unrest among the peasants, famine and so on... and still didn't collapse.

So, no, "collapse" isn't happening.

What IS plausibly happening, is a 30-year setback... Russia would careen right back to where it was in the 1990s, after the USSR was dissolved, and its successor state, Russia, found itself adrift.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:21 PM

43,998 posts, read 18,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
This again.
Here's the document, "China’s Position on the Political Settlement of the Ukraine Crisis"
https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxx..._11030713.html
There's nothing in there.
Dated February. Xi visited Russia in March.
March 2023 article on China's 12 point peace plan.

https://www.tbsnews.net/explainer/ex...roposal-603222

Old 04-10-2023, 07:16 PM

5,016 posts, read 2,786,794 times
Bakhmut update..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV2pB-2ihhc

Old 04-10-2023, 07:16 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,788,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Who said ONE country has to save Russia? Japan has bypassed the sanctions and 'oil cap'. I wonder if they bought in dollars or another currency. You may not notice the above linked article states that Japan has begun buying Russian oil, which indicates there will be further purchases. Russia has been selling to other nations all along. Indications remain that the oil price cap has failed, and the western coalition is tenuous.
No real indications of a Russian collapse. More indications of US losing influence outside of the G7.
Yeah, here is a discussion of the oil market "fragmentation":

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=4366337

Old 04-10-2023, 07:40 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,164,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That Russia would "collapse" is not a serious assertion. Germany was defeated in WW1, had an ignominious peace imposed on it, had a panoply of radical parties... its monarchy was abolished and the country descended into armed revolution... and still it didn't collapse. Russia, during its "time of troubles" in the 16th century, had no recognized czar, the Polish-Lithuanian empire attacking it, mass psychosis among the nobles, unrest among the peasants, famine and so on... and still didn't collapse.

So, no, "collapse" isn't happening.

What IS plausibly happening, is a 30-year setback... Russia would careen right back to where it was in the 1990s, after the USSR was dissolved, and its successor state, Russia, found itself adrift.
I disagree. Empires collapse all the time. A Russian collapse is not inevitable, but it is a possibility.

The Ottoman Empire collapsed after WW1, as did the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Yugoslavia collapsed after the death of Tito, and the USSR collapsed in 1990. The British Empire collapsed after WW2, although it was a pretty soft landing. Going back further in time, the Mughal Empire collapsed in the mid 19th century.

Although we look at China as always having existed, in reality it is a constantly changing collection of smaller states, growing, engulfing one another, and collapsing into smaller entities.

My money is on a partial collapse. Smaller republics like Chechnya declaring independence, maybe China grabbing de facto control over some of the Siberian provinces, resulting in a smaller Russia.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:48 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,769,294 times
ISW Update 4/10/23

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...-april-10-2023

Quote:
Apr 10, 2023 - Press ISW

Wagner Group financier Yevgeny Prigozhin is reportedly advancing his political aspirations by seeking to gain control of a Russian political party. Russian opposition outlet Meduza reported that Wagner Group financier Yevgeny Prigozhin’s growing cooperation with members of the A Just Russia — For Truth party likely indicates that Prigozhin seeks to gain control over the party. Meduza noted that four members of the party left to form a new movement, with some members citing the rapprochement between party leader Sergey Mironov and Prigozhin as the reason for their exit. ISW has consistently reported on the growing relationship between Mironov and Prigozhin and assessed that Mironov’s advocacy for recognition of Wagner in Russia could trigger further fractionalization within the Kremlin. Two Kremlin sources and one St. Petersburg government insider claimed that Prigozhin is pursuing a leadership position within A Just Russia — For Truth’s St. Petersburg branch to compete with St. Petersburg Governor Alexander Beglov for influence in the city. Meduza’s sources claimed that Prigozhin previously was interested in investing in the “Motherland†political party and may be interested in pursuing a position at the federal level. Mironov, in turn, is likely attempting to revive his political influence and use Prigozhin as a patron for his political ambitions. Meduza’s interlocutors indicated that the Russian Presidential Administration is unlikely to allow Prigozhin to gain control of the A Just Russia — For Truth party due to Prigozhin’s conflict with administration officials and with Beglov.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:07 PM

26,970 posts, read 22,919,637 times
And now - the language question, because it was a big one that played the major role in this military conflict ( so I'd rather leave it here.)
So recently I found the debate in UN of some professor of the Yale University/propagandist Mr. Snyder, where while angrily talking about Russophobia and whence it came, he mentions during his speech that "people in Ukraine were freely addressing me in Russian and Ukrainian alike ( telling him how much they dislike Russia."
Therefore ( according to him,) there is NO "language issue" in Ukraine - it's all made up.

But as in the case with the raiding of the churches by the Nationalists, the way it's done in Ukraine - you can proceed with any kind of crimes, as long as there is no one around to expose them to the Western audience, "because the Westerners are dumb, they won't look into finer details, they will buy whatever the mainstream media will tell them. And "we know what *news* to supply to them and how exactly" - that's how Zelensky government operates.

Therefore the devil of course is in details, which Mr. Snyder is apparently too dumb to understand.

Of course you are allowed to curse Russia in any language you like, you are allowed to publicly do it in front of some foreign dignitary/professor.

Because by condemning Russia, you already prove that you are a "true Ukrainian patriot."

And you are allowed to speak your native Russian while dying in the war trenches, because - you are still proving that you are a Ukrainian patriot, even if of a second sort, being a Russian speaker.

The rest of "suspicious fifth column" better switch from Russian to Ukrainian, or else.

So I was surprised to discover that some "lefty" Ukrainian blogger ( that I am aware of, but not follow) was allowed to participate in debates with Mr. Snyder in UN, where Mr. Snyder got a taste of his own medicine.

Well, at least a bit of it, because the quality of translation was atrocious, and the interpreter who I am sure is paid big $$$, was simply skipping the translation of some parts, intentionally or not - I am not sure. But since I have the original in Russian, I can translate his speech, and you can compare it with what the interpreter in UN did.

From 6:07 here -
"I thank the Security Council of UN for the opportunity to speak. I am talking on behalf of millions of Russian-speaking Ukrainian citizens. I thank the Lawyer's Association of Russia as well, that cooperates with our team, helping Ukrainian refugees in Russia.

My report will be addressing the issue of discrimination of the Russian speaking Ukrainians in Ukraine. Ukrainian Constitution assures the right of the development of the Russian language. However the criminal regime of Zelensky puts itself above the law.

After the coup d'etat of 2014, organized by the US embassy in Ukraine, the language law from 2012 was cancelled out. This law ( in such and such of Ukrainian Constitution Part III was regulating the usage of Russian language in all spheres of social life, without violating any guarantees to the state language - the Ukrainian one.

After the coup d'etat, the Poroshenko's regime immediately issued the new law, called "The functioning of the state language - Ukrainian state language."

By this law, the Russian language as the other minority's languages was simply forced out. The implementation of this law was prolonged through some period of time, until 2024, with the purpose of course to put out the citizens protests against the discrimination of the Russian language.

Therefore, already during the regime of dictator Zelensky, from the first of September of 2020, Russian language was prohibited in schools, from 16 of January 2021 Russian was prohibited in the customer service, from 16th of July - in movies and theaters.

From 16th of January of 2022, it was prohibited in media and books publishing.
From 16th of July of 2022, the usage of Russian language was already fined. The special state commission was created to deal with penalizing the usage of Russian language, it was called "The Office of protection of Ukrainian language" and this was taking place in the 21st century(!)
Can you imagine that somewhere in Switzerland the Swiss government would be penalizing people for usage of French language? In Spain - for usage of Catalonian? Can you imagine that in Russia anyone would be penalized for usage of Ukrainian language?
This is impossible to imagine, yet we see that in Ukraine, according to the law that was signed by Poroshenko and implemented by Zelensky this barbaric practice is in place.

Only in 2021 about 300 schools were liquidated and 6,000 classes with studying in Russian language, in spite of the over 30% of citizens in official polls voting for studying in Russian, and over 70% - for studying Russian in school. But already in 2022/23 the local budgets were not allocating funding for the classes of the Russian language. The right for the native tongue is inalienable right of people, but as we can see, in Ukraine the human rights are restricted. Russian language is a native language for the millions of Ukrainians, but today it's prohibited in all the spheres of the social life in Ukraine. It's prohibited in early development/education of young children, the studying of the Russian language is prohibited in schools. More than that - people are bullied for the usage of the Russian language, and the language itself is discredited by Zelensky's regime - it's a fact. There are millions of Ukrainians in Ukraine, that speak and think in Russian, but don't know how to properly write in it.

I was born in Kiev and grew up there. And it turned out to be so, that we simply didn't have Russian in school. I was subjected under the first wave of Ukraininzation. So effectually, after graduating from school and then University, I couldn't write in Russian properly, so I was learning how to do it later one. Everyone who is listening to me now - imagine that you can't write in your native language - in English, in French, in Spanish and so on. You will know how the MILLIONS of Ukrainians feel, that find themselves now in this situation. Not only that - I found myself discriminated against ( and against my language,) when I was defending myself in court. The judges and procurators were constantly demanding that I would speak in Ukrainian only, which is not my native tongue. So of course my right for defense was violated.
So in Ukraine, controlled by NATO countries and Zelensky regime, we can see that even humanitarian aid that's distributed there is often not given to people that need it, if they don't address the distributors in Ukrainian language.
You can find plenty of such videos on the internet.

Keeping these facts in mind, I, as Ukrainian citizen, find it odd to listen to all these lies of dictator Zelensky that "no one is persecuting Russian language in Ukraine."

Officially, this dictator screams that he is a native Russian speaker himself, so no one is discriminating against the Russian language, but in reality (confirmed by the laws) we observe quite the opposite.

That's why such terminology as "linguicide" should be used. "Linguicide" are the measures directed at the extermination of the language. (There were couple of international conventions back in 1948 and 1967, that gave definition of what it is, and what it entails - I won't get into further description now.) ...All of it currently takes place in Ukraine, as a consistent policy; supported by the NATO regime and the traitor of Ukrainian people - Zelensky.

The civil war is going in our country already since 2014, and the language question was one of the major reasons for the armed militia to spring to action. This resistance then transferred to the "cold war" between US and Russia and currently we are having the "hot" phase of it here in Ukraine.

At least 30% of Ukrainians are deprived of their native language, and this is the gross violation of Ukrainian constitution. From 1992, the Russian language was constantly forced out from the usage, even in predominantly Russian-speaking regions, such as Kharkov, Donetsk, Lugansk, Odessa, Nikolayev, Zaporozhie, Crimea.
In spite of the protests of parents, the Russian - speaking schools were switching to Ukrainian, and the quality of teaching Russian was going down, because the Ukrainian state was discriminating against the teachers teaching in Russian; they were receiving smaller salaries.

In the same manner, Russian language was forced out in the institutions of the higher education. The logical continuity of it was the implementation of the law "Ensuring the functionality of Ukrainian as a state language."

This law brought the outcry of the Hungarian, Greek, Romanian and other communities in Ukraine. But the main hit was taken of course by the Russian-speaking community.
This law completely excludes Russian language from the labor sphere of laws, from all kinds of media, from book publishing, from the software development, sports, customer service, legal matters and so on. With other words, Russian language is forced out from all the social spheres, allowing its usage only "in private communications."

At the same time, the law allows the usage of English in all these spheres, and other languages of the European Union. So the discrimination of the Russian language is pretty obvious, and these policies are entirely supported by the NATO countries and implemented with the help of Poroshenko and Zelensky regime.
The usage of Russian language is outlawed; people that go against this law are bullied and persecuted by administrative measures. They are fined; in case of first violation it's 230 US dollars, second violation - 460 US dollars. To give you an idea what this sum of money means for Ukrainians, I will let you know that the average monthly pension in Ukraine is about 60 US dollars.

At that, not only officials are fined during the "unlawful usage of the Russian language," but the average citizens as well. ( Here he describes the case of the salesperson of the beauty shop, that dared to switch to Russian per the buyer's request, translating into Russian the Ukrainian test on some box. Immediately, she was insulted by yet another customer for the usage of Russian language, and the same customer immediately wrote the report to the "office of protection of the Ukrainian language." The salesperson was fined for 260 dollars.

Yet another Russian-speaking blogger, the make up artist, was fined for the Russian language, after she used it in her content in Instagram. She was writing there something for her friends, but this didn't stop the "language inspectors," and she was fined never the less.
These are all the signs of the lingvocide in Ukraine, when people are put in the conditions that force them to abstain from the usage of their native language, destroying the identity of millions of people. This is unacceptable in the 21st century.

Thank you for your attention."

Now when some other Yale professor propagandist Snyder's style will decide to pretend that "there is no discrimination of the Russian language in Ukraine," keep in mind this UN address of this ethnic Ukrainian ( yes, he is an ethnic Ukrainian.)

Because that's precisely how Zelensky propaganda machine works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMmAIjXQCAw&t=600s

Oh, and this is that UN council debate translated in English - you can compare the speech of this Ukrainian rep. from 15:36 and what came out of it with translation there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em95lYBHbIc

P.S. So they are debating what "Russophobia" is, at this UN Security Council meeting.

I think I am a Russophob, but for a different reason, looking at how the Russian government USED the Eastern Ukrainians for eight years for its own purpose, only to bomb them in the end, because of its own ineptitude on the battlefield.

That kind of sh*t.

Last edited by erasure; 04-10-2023 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies