Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 209 40.04%
No 263 50.38%
Unsure 50 9.58%
Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 02:15 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,788,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Terrorism aside, it seems like a stupid strategy.

Ukrainians are not going to give up because they have to do without electricity for varying lengths of time, and it does nothing to change the military situation.

Seems like it would be better to hit military targets.

No?

How do we know that they don't?

In regards to the infrastructure , perhaps NATO has the answer.. After all NATO did annihilate Serbia's power grid/ water supply in 1999, and even bragged about doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 02:26 PM

15,273 posts, read 8,787,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The military ones keep moving around and are hard to hit.
Gotta hold still - like a dam or an apartment building - for Russia to hit them.
The more you talk the more evidence is presented that you shouldn’t say a thing.

The reality is, what is transpiring right now is the most effective use of technology directed artillery ever demonstrated on any battlefield in history.

The combination of satellite, radar and drone based data collection which feeds targeting coordinates directly to artillery batteries is unprecedented in its accuracy and deadly consequences to Ukrainian ground forces and military hardware.

The number of Ukrainian armored vehicles, aircraft, missile and artillery systems destroyed by the Russians is mind boggling. Even the most mobile equipment can’t move fast enough to escape detection and ultimate destruction.

That’s the reality.

Old 04-08-2023, 02:31 PM

30,135 posts, read 25,264,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The more you talk the more evidence is presented that you shouldn’t say a thing.

The reality is, what is transpiring right now is the most effective use of technology directed artillery ever demonstrated on any battlefield in history.

The combination of satellite, radar and drone based data collection which feeds targeting coordinates directly to artillery batteries is unprecedented in its accuracy and deadly consequences to Ukrainian ground forces and military hardware.

The number of Ukrainian armored vehicles, aircraft, missile and artillery systems destroyed by the Russians is mind boggling. Even the most mobile equipment can’t move fast enough to escape detection and ultimate destruction.

That’s the reality.

Putin has been doing the scorched earth routine in Ukraine. Shelling every square meter of ground basically. There's nothing intelligent, crafty or tactful in that. He's killing scores of civilians though, which I'm sure gives you cause to celebrate.

I have my issues with "the west", where it's been and where it is going, but that doesn't mean Russia/Putin = "the good guys"

The west invested heavily in using modern technology on the battlefield, and it has paid off brilliantly for us in this conflict. Russia is trying to fight an old school war, and sacrificing hundreds of thousands of young Russian men in the process. This will present a wonderful opportunity for western men who have a "thing" for Russian women. Not I, but apparently, there are many.

Soon it will be checkmate, the west wins again, as everyone with a brain expected. This time, we even pretended to be the underdog and let Russia win a little here and there, instead of smashing the entire country into many smaller pieces, as happened last time.

Old 04-08-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
How do we know that they don't?

In regards to the infrastructure , perhaps NATO has the answer.. After all NATO did annihilate Serbia's power grid/ water supply in 1999, and even bragged about doing it.
We did the same thing in Iraq and Libya. 2 million Iraqis were killed as a result of our “shock and awe” approach used during our unprovoked invasion of Iraq. Yes, we now know that claims of Saddam’s weapons of mass destruction were bold faced lies. Consequently, our invasion and destruction of Iraq truly was totally unprovoked and a pure act of illegal aggression.

We went in from day one, targeting Iraq’s infrastructure with massive bombing campaigns, destroying power, water, air defense, and transportation running thousands of sorties, with no concern for the devastation being inflicted upon Iraq’s population.

By contrast, Russia has prosecuted its military operation in Ukraine with a much greater degree of concern and effort in avoiding as much as possible, civilian casualties and suffering. This had negative consequences for Russian forces the west was calling Russian incompetence and weakness, when in truth it was just Russians exhibiting an unfamiliar level of humane behavior the United States doesn’t concern itself with.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 04-08-2023 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Putin has been doing the scorched earth routine in Ukraine. Shelling every square meter of ground basically. There's nothing intelligent, crafty or tactful in that. He's killing scores of civilians though, which I'm sure gives you cause to celebrate.

I have my issues with "the west", where it's been and where it is going, but that doesn't mean Russia/Putin = "the good guys"

The west invested heavily in using modern technology on the battlefield, and it has paid off brilliantly for us in this conflict. Russia is trying to fight an old school war, and sacrificing hundreds of thousands of young Russian men in the process. This will present a wonderful opportunity for western men who have a "thing" for Russian women. Not I, but apparently, there are many.

Soon it will be checkmate, the west wins again, as everyone with a brain expected. This time, we even pretended to be the underdog and let Russia win a little here and there, instead of smashing the entire country into many smaller pieces, as happened last time.
Once again you display your immense ignorance of the situation there, by reading to us this nonsensical propaganda fit only for consumption by the drooling mouth breathers who sit mindlessly in front of their TVs absorbed by CNN news 24x7

The truth is EXACTLY the opposite … Ukrainians are being fed into a meat grinder, and dying in a ratio unprecedented in modern warfare, easily reaching 8 to 1, or higher, with no possibility of achieving a meaningful military objective.

You apparently don’t realize that Ukraine has lost more soldiers in just the past year than we did in WW II and Viet Nam, combined! And you have a very sick opinion of what victory looks like … because watching a country commit national suicide doesn’t look much like winning to me.

The Nazis have now resorted to kidnapping youngsters and old men to be sent to their certain deaths on the front lines. There are stories of food delivery boys being scooped up and sent into battle … and that isn’t coming from Russian sources, that’s coming from sources inside Ukraine.

The west wins again? When did we win the first time? Was it Viet Nam? Korea? Afghanistan? Oh, I forgot … you must be referring to that astounding military victory we had over Grenada a coupe decades ago.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 04-08-2023 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 03:09 PM

9,022 posts, read 11,913,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I’ll post this here but I suspect it might merit a separate thread; massive leak on Twitter and 4Chan of Pentagon and NATO classified security documents pertaining to Ukraine. The CNN article posted below only mentions Ukraine but the NYT article behind a paywall also mentions China and Russia information was posted online too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BHJW1q6mdqGiL1
Most likely intentional disinformation.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:12 PM

9,022 posts, read 11,913,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
The interview is here…

https://dossier.center/fso-en/

Thanks for the link.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:13 PM

47,138 posts, read 26,296,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandSurf View Post
Looking at the actual battle map and territories gained, you’re clearly being deceptive which brings your whole ethos into question.
So - the VDV is still holding Hostomel?

Take a deep breath and recall this: A little over a year ago, the big question was if Kyiv would fall. Now Russia is failing to take a 70K city whose main call to fame is its salt mines - 40-some miles from its own border.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:20 PM

30,135 posts, read 25,264,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Once again you display your immense ignorance of the situation there, by reading to us this nonsensical propaganda fit only for consumption by the drooling mouth breathers who sit mindlessly in front of their TVs absorbed by CNN news 24x7

The truth is EXACTLY the opposite … Ukrainians are being fed into a meat grinder, and dying in a ratio unprecedented in modern warfare, easily reaching 8 to 1, or higher, with no possibility of achieving a meaningful military objective.

You apparently don’t realize that Ukraine has lost more soldiers in just the past year than we did in WW II and Viet Nam, combined! And you have a very sick opinion of what victory looks like … because watching a country commit national suicide doesn’t look much like winning to me.

The Nazis have now resorted to kidnapping youngsters and old men to be sent to their certain deaths on the front lines. There are stories of food delivery boys being scooped up and sent into battle … and that isn’t coming from Russian sources, that’s coming from sources inside Ukraine.

The west wins again? When did we win the first time? Was it Viet Nam? Korea? Afghanistan? Oh, I forgot … you must be referring to that astounding military victory we had over Grenada a coupe decades ago.

I don't even own a television

If you have to resort to name calling and insults, I just don't bother reading what ever else you have to say. Usually, it's a warning that whatever I am going to read ahead will cost me a few braincells.

Have a happy life here in the west. Or not, we won't stop you from leaving if you don't like it.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:28 PM

25,860 posts, read 17,633,452 times
Ukraine is being obliterated. But it'll still be there when Russia leaves.
Germany was obliterated. It's still there. Poland. France. Russia was once obliterated, for that matter. Still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies