Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion?
Yes, liberals/the left have destroyed morality in Amerca 109 66.46%
Morality has declined, but it is not too late. 34 20.73%
No, America has not had any moral decline. Everything is hunky dory. 21 12.80%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 02:38 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,928,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think America has been fairly immoral from the get go if their treatment of indigenous peoples is any indication.
Canada as well, Mexico and South America

Old 02-03-2022, 02:45 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,030,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
The poll is one sided about the failings of the left while ignoring the failings of the right.

Note I am not saying the left lacks giant failings.
I agree. The Neo conservatives who pushed into war in Iraq, and extended the war in Afganistan which was America longest war, has not helped at all and past conflicts such as dragging the Vietnam war longer than expected are a few examples.

Plus the past treatment of native americans, followed by black Americans and people of colour.

Plus the rich tend to get richer in the USA but there are more people living in poverty than ever in the USA and so many homelessness around.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:57 PM

5,077 posts, read 2,288,279 times
Your title doesn't match your poll question. I put 'No', but as an answer to the thread title, not agreeing with the premise stated before that option. I don't think liberals and progressives are responsible for moral decline.

I DO think they're responsible for a bunch of misguided, unnecessary policies, but then that's not what you asked.

Old 02-03-2022, 03:01 PM

2,612 posts, read 934,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I never said that, but if it makes you happy I didn’t lose, you said you don’t know enough about it.
I didnt really mean that you lose specifically, I mean that you are comparing the US vs North Korea and China means that you already know that the US government is very bad.

Old 02-03-2022, 03:33 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,928,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I didnt really mean that you lose specifically, I mean that you are comparing the US vs North Korea and China means that you already know that the US government is very bad.
Nope, wrong….

Old 02-03-2022, 03:33 PM

19,877 posts, read 9,424,417 times
I think that the "destruction of morality* has not actually occurred, but that there is a much greater tolerance for what used to be called immoral behavior than in any time in the U.S. since the 1920's. (And speaking of that, can you imagine the shock of older people when women went from ankle-length dresses and the ideal of remaining "pure" until marriage to wearing "flapper" styles and drinking and smoking in public in a matter of only about ten years??!!)

I was born in 1953, and when I was a teen, much of the "loose morality of today's young people" was blamed on rock 'n roll and the Pill, and almost all of us scoffed at all the old folks for their tsk-tsking old-fashioned attitudes. And now, many people in my generation bemoan what has happened to "traditional values" in today's world. However, the fact is that culture changes with time -- and diversity and increased tolerance for differences have a great effect on "traditional" culture in many countries.

However, all that being said and although firmly believe in freedom of speech and expression and in the idea of "live and let live", I do admit that I very much dislike the current approval of what used to be termed "promiscuity" and the complete acceptance of women who have more than one child without being married. However, that is not because of my being a prude -- although I do confess to being somewhat of a prude in some ways -- but because of the cost of such actions -- not only to taxpayers, but to the emotional health of young women who have absorbed the old-fashioned idea that their worth is determined by how "sexy" or sexually attractive they are.

Last edited by katharsis; 02-03-2022 at 03:49 PM..

Old 02-03-2022, 05:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,492,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that the "destruction of morality* has not actually occurred, but that there is a much greater tolerance for what used to be called immoral behavior than in any time in the U.S. since the 1920's. (And speaking of that, can you imagine the shock of older people when women went from ankle-length dresses and the ideal of remaining "pure" until marriage to wearing "flapper" styles and drinking and smoking in public in a matter of only about ten years??!!)

I was born in 1953, and when I was a teen, much of the "loose morality of today's young people" was blamed on rock 'n roll and the Pill, and almost all of us scoffed at all the old folks for their tsk-tsking old-fashioned attitudes. And now, many people in my generation bemoan what has happened to "traditional values" in today's world. However, the fact is that culture changes with time -- and diversity and increased tolerance for differences have a great effect on "traditional" culture in many countries.

However, all that being said and although firmly believe in freedom of speech and expression and in the idea of "live and let live", I do admit that I very much dislike the current approval of what used to be termed "promiscuity" and the complete acceptance of women who have more than one child without being married. However, that is not because of my being a prude -- although I do confess to being somewhat of a prude in some ways -- but because of the cost of such actions -- not only to taxpayers, but to the emotional health of young women who have absorbed the old-fashioned idea that their worth is determined by how "sexy" or sexually attractive they are.
Welll....while I agree that true "promiscuity" is often unhealthy both physically and emotionally, I think if we are talking about it in the context of morality then it needs to be said that promiscuity has always existed but culturally only discouraged or frowned upon for women or gay men. Straight men were typically given a pass with a wink and a nod. How is it moral to have differing standards depending on one's gender, race (or anything else)?

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-03-2022 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-03-2022, 05:34 PM

19,877 posts, read 9,424,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Welll....while I agree that true "promiscuity" is often unhealthy both physically and emotionally, I think if we are talking about it in the context of morality then it needs to be said that promiscuity has always existed but culturally only discouraged or frowned upon for women or gay men. Straight men were typically given a pass with a wink and a nod. How is it moral to have differing standards depending on one's gender, race (or anything else)?
I can't disagree with that at all, but the fact is that women have always been much more likely to suffer from an unplanned pregnancy then men have.

And although I agree that there should not be a one standard for sexual activity for women and a different standard applied to men, I do think this attitude is changing. (But I nevertheless think that promiscuity is NOT a good thing for either sex. And btw, my personal definition of promiscuity is when a person often having sex with someone they met less than a couple of hours ago.)

Old 02-03-2022, 05:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,492,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I can't disagree with that at all, but the fact is that women have always been much more likely to suffer from an unplanned pregnancy then men have.

And although I agree that there should not be a one standard for sexual activity for women and a different standard applied to men, I do think this attitude is changing. (But I nevertheless think that promiscuity is NOT a good thing for either sex. And btw, my personal definition of promiscuity is when a person often having sex with someone they met less than a couple of hours ago.)
Alright but this thread is about whether the US has lost it's moral compass due to the influence of the left. My point is your example is not something new or caused by the left. What WAS accepted in the era you claim was more moral, was the application of different standards.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:02 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 21 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,963 times
I'd answer perhaps, but maybe not. I think there's been scapegoating, just as the right has been scapegoated as fascist/WS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies