Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 02:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 760,176 times

Advertisements

This is a thread to not blame or point fingers, but rather to listen and learn.

I am curious as to why people have their political alignments.

Me personally, I identify more with the Democrats probably because both of my parents were. But now that I am an adult (20), I see more and more of the Republican side.

Democrat positions I align well with are on national health care, green energy, oppose the death penalty, vegetarian, larger social safety net. I see a lot of these positions as loving and serving our fellow humans.

However, I also like some Republican positions more such as on abortion, no strict covid mandates, not going along with woke bigotry as much and funding the police. I see a lot of these positions as common sense or promoting good order and freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 02:16 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,964,247 times
I don't have one. I am a registered Libertarian because neither of the two major parties support my interests.

I am fiscally conservative, socially progressive. Which puts me at odds with nearly everyone on CD.

I support unrestricted gun rights, I don't think anybody needs nukes. I support women's rights to their bodies, but not the "mah body, mah choice" covid crowd. I support universal health care, but lately I'm not happy with the covid deniers clogging up the hospitals.

I think natural resources, oil, gas, lumber, gold, water, should belong to everyone, with the producers receiving reasonable compensation for their work. But in my town a massive Canadian gold mine is stripping our resources and sending the profits home. That is OUR gold!

I think we need massive criminal justice reform. And even more massive restructuring of the government.

I oppose illegal immigration.

And I think the republican party has morphed into an extremist, fascist organization, bordering on state sponsored terrorism. (I'm terrified of what happens if they reelect their despotic leader.)

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. As of today I have devoted 11 years and nearly 7,000 posts to CD, without achieving any result but to drive my blood pressure up and aggravate the mods. I'm not leaving, so you can withhold the don't let the door hit you jokes, but I'm going to take an extended break from social media starting tonight. Which I'm sure will please many folks here. So keep your powder dry and I'll see ya at the Front!

Last edited by jamies; 12-31-2021 at 02:59 PM..

Old 12-31-2021, 02:19 PM

1,758 posts, read 760,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I don't have one. I am a registered Libertarian because neither of the two major parties support my interests.

I am fiscally conservative, socially progressive. Which puts me at odds with nearly everyone on CD.
Sounds like my husband!

Old 12-31-2021, 02:23 PM

20,104 posts, read 20,910,392 times
I am a party of one. I have my own thing going on. Common sense.
But whatever. I will admit that I loathe commies/liberals so much that I’m often mistaken for, or assumed to be a conservative/Republican. But I’m not.
I’m a Hotkarlian.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:27 PM

25,882 posts, read 18,894,369 times
I don't have a political alignment, I have a philosophical/ideological alignment. Those philosophies tend to align with conservative ideology more so than modern liberalism.

To put it another way, I don't form a belief because a political party tells me to. The beliefs come first and I then decide which party best aligns with those beliefs. None do exactly, but one is 180 degrees out of phase with my beliefs on nearly every issue (and that would be the modern leftist wing democrat party, aka authoritarian collectivists).

Old 12-31-2021, 02:33 PM

And I’ll admit, I loathe commies/liberals so much that I get a kick out of trolling them sometimes. They’ll say something really off the wall ridiculous and I can’t help myself but to respond with something that’ll trigger them. It’s mostly light hearted and in good fun, but most of them are boring stiffs with no soul or sense of humor so they more often than not do not understand the jesting/humor in it, thus becoming triggered and going off the deep end.
I’m sure I’m on many an ignore list.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:42 PM

I rest my case your Honor.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:50 PM

21,172 posts, read 19,774,934 times
I agree more with Republicans than Democrats. Additionally, I find that Republicans are better people in general.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:52 PM

217 posts, read 142,838 times
Modern/Commercial liberalism is unbelievably obnoxious, smug, shallow, hypocritical, delusional, backwards and dreary; and does nothing but serve corporate/oligarchical interests.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:56 PM

19,842 posts, read 9,407,961 times
Because of the actions of the Democrats over the last dozen years. They drove me to becoming a conservative after over 40 years of being a liberal.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-31-2021 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies