Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 12:31 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,771,857 times

Advertisements

I'm a liberal progressive bleed blue NY Democrat. My parents were well educated hippies. It's in my blood. I believe in equal rights and justice for all. No more no less. Common sense is hard to find on both sides. Defund the police when my inlaws are cops . Duh. Storm the capitol yet claim to be a patriot. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 12:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,044,308 times
I want to be free. I want everyone to be free.

I want my tax money going to pay for the protection of my life, liberty private property and pursuit of happiness.

I don't want government/people taking by force what I've earned and giving it to others who haven't earned it.

Our Declaration of Independence and US Constitution are the greatest documents ever written, we just need to follow them.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,850,250 times
There are more Independents/ Unaffilliated than either Republicans or Democrats. I am one of them- politically agnostic.

I don’t attribute or blame the good, bad and ugly in my life on any political party or politician.

The US has been debt free one year- 1935. Every admin inherits debt, adds to it and kicks the can. Makes no diff who sits the oval or holds the majority.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:46 PM

50,491 posts, read 47,270,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I am a party of one. I have my own thing going on. Common sense.
But whatever. I will admit that I loathe commies/liberals so much that I’m often mistaken for, or assumed to be a conservative/Republican. But I’m not.
I’m a Hotkarlian.
Can I join your party sir? We'll get a tax write off.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:51 PM

18,473 posts, read 7,122,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I'm a liberal progressive bleed blue NY Democrat. My parents were well educated hippies. It's in my blood. I believe in equal rights and justice for all. No more no less. Common sense is hard to find on both sides. Defund the police when my inlaws are cops . Duh.Storm the capitol yet claim to be a patriot. Duh.

Patriotism is love for your country.

Not blind allegiance to government.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:54 PM

31,163 posts, read 22,192,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I don't have one. I am a registered Libertarian because neither of the two major parties support my interests.

I am fiscally conservative, socially progressive. Which puts me at odds with nearly everyone on CD.

I support unrestricted gun rights, I don't think anybody needs nukes. I support women's rights to their bodies, but not the "mah body, mah choice" covid crowd. I support universal health care, but lately I'm not happy with the covid deniers clogging up the hospitals.

I think natural resources, oil, gas, lumber, gold, water, should belong to everyone, with the producers receiving reasonable compensation for their work. But in my town a massive Canadian gold mine is stripping our resources and sending the profits home. That is OUR gold!

I think we need massive criminal justice reform. And even more massive restructuring of the government.

I oppose illegal immigration.

And I think the republican party has morphed into an extremist, fascist organization, bordering on state sponsored terrorism. (I'm terrified of what happens if they reelect their despotic leader.)

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. As of today I have devoted 11 years and nearly 7,000 posts to CD, without achieving any result but to drive my blood pressure up and aggravate the mods. I'm not leaving, so you can withhold the don't let the door hit you jokes, but I'm going to take an extended break from social media starting tonight. Which I'm sure will please many folks here. So keep your powder dry and I'll see ya at the Front!
My position is almost identical to yours except I progressed from Dem, to Independent, to Rep, from the late 90s to this last election. If Repububs didn't have Bible Thumpers, or hard core anti Abortionist, I would have switched parties in 2000.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:09 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,861,348 times
I'm more issues based than party. I'll take the repugs over this current version of the dims that being said.

I'm finding myself literally hating the progressive far left. Their ideas and policies are dangerous and completely contrary to the core ideas of this nation. I wish those woketard a holes would move to some nanny state nation in Europe and just leave this country alone.

Last edited by Chowhound; 01-01-2022 at 01:19 PM..

Old 01-01-2022, 01:12 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,802,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What's more mind-boggling is that so many people believe that everyone can be divvied up into those two categories and work so damn hard to perpetuate this type of black-and-white thinking, thereby ensuring that there's a THEM to despise and view as the enemy.

I mean, it's almost a requirement to clutch onto that mindset to post on P&OC, lol, but I do hope people get out into the fresh air and sunlight of the real world once in a while and realize that actual real live people don't always embrace one "side" or another the way so many love to do on here.
Thank you for saying this. I’ve had that wish for a while!

Old 01-01-2022, 01:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 997,423 times
I'm an individualist not a collectivist. That's really at the root of my political views. Put another way, I'm a punk which isn't a statement of musical taste, it really means someone who believes in giving the middle finger to the dominant oppressive culture. Individualists are by their very nature critical thinkers who despise herd mentality. I think it's obvious why this sort of makeup leads one over time toward conservatism.

Life experience has also guided me to the right. Someone who's an individualist is not going to be predisposed to rely on "the community" to help get them through life. I've been highly motivated to work and have ever since I was 13. I worked my way through college and a couple of engineering degrees and have done well not by virtue of privilege or caste but just hard work and a profound certainty that nobody is ever going to take care of me and mine but me.

I loathe the weakness and dependency of collectivism and the herd mentality that goes along with it. In America 2022, to be a punk means being a conservative.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:01 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,802,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I'm an individualist not a collectivist. That's really at the root of my political views. Put another way, I'm a punk which isn't a statement of musical taste, it really means someone who believes in giving the middle finger to the dominant oppressive culture. Individualists are by their very nature critical thinkers who despise herd mentality. I think it's obvious why this sort of makeup leads one over time toward conservatism.

Life experience has also guided me to the right. Someone who's an individualist is not going to be predisposed to rely on "the community" to help get them through life. I've been highly motivated to work and have ever since I was 13. I worked my way through college and a couple of engineering degrees and have done well not by virtue of privilege or caste but just hard work and a profound certainty that nobody is ever going to take care of me and mine but me.

I loathe the weakness and dependency of collectivism and the herd mentality that goes along with it. In America 2022, to be a punk means being a conservative.
I dunno, I feel like there was always a tinge of conservatism in punk, especially early on. There’s always been a “leave us the eff alone” thing going on. And OK, so maybe it trended towards a lot of leftism, but I’ve never been able to shake off that core of punk. It doesn’t work without that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies