Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 03:18 PM

13,642 posts, read 4,957,022 times

Advertisements

My parents were Democrats, because my Dad was a staunch union man. I followed them into the Democratic Party, because it was the party of the little guy - workers, the poor, minorities - and even though I grew up to be a well-off, white collar white suburban guy, I still believe in siding with the downtrodden. Coming of age during the Nixon era only served to solidify my antipathy for Republicans.

I didn't agree with Reagan much, but I do think he was a warm-hearted, classy man. George Bush Sr was as competent as they come. Clinton's personal foibles were shameful. All of which led me in 2000 to cast my only vote ever for a Republican President. I believed GW Bush's claim of "compassionate conservativism".

He turned out to be terrible and I went back to being a democrat. Now that the GOP has become the party of Trump, I probably will never vote Republican again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 03:24 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,310,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
This is a thread to not blame or point fingers, but rather to listen and learn.

I am curious as to why people have their political alignments.

Me personally, I identify more with the Democrats probably because both of my parents were. But now that I am an adult (20), I see more and more of the Republican side.

Democrat positions I align well with are on national health care, green energy, oppose the death penalty, vegetarian, larger social safety net. I see a lot of these positions as loving and serving our fellow humans.

However, I also like some Republican positions more such as on abortion, no strict covid mandates, not going along with woke bigotry as much and funding the police. I see a lot of these positions as common sense or promoting good order and freedom.
I was always a conservative, but never had any party affiliation with the republicans. Voted Perot twice, and I'm a big Trump guy as I think he proved that a businessman could run things MUCH better than any lyin' politician of either of the big parties and was only guy who ever really took on the 'system'. About 15 years ago I registered Libertarian and I do agree with most of their platform, the bottom line being:

The libertarian position is that as long as one’s conduct is peaceful and doesn’t violate the personal or property rights of others, government and society should just leave him alone.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:24 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,836,067 times
Quote:
This is a thread to not blame or point fingers, but rather to listen and learn.

Me personally, I identify more with the Democrats probably because both of my parents were. But now that I am an adult (20), I see more and more of the Republican side.

Democrat positions I align well with are on national health care, green energy, oppose the death penalty, vegetarian, larger social safety net. I see a lot of these positions as loving and serving our fellow humans.

However, I also like some Republican positions more such as on abortion, no strict covid mandates, not going along with woke bigotry as much and funding the police. I see a lot of these positions as common sense or promoting good order and freedom.
I was a Republican for way more than half my life. I voted Republican from the time I turned 18 until I was almost 50. My first Democratic vote went to John Kerry. My poor Republicans friends, lol.

That being said, I tend to be more fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I'm against bailouts and handing out money like it was printed on a machine. Oh wait . . .

I'm absolutely all about helping people who need it, allowing people to marry whomever they choose (two consenting adults, of course), and putting in place a healthcare system so people don't need to go into bankruptcy because of their medical bills.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:29 PM

5,865 posts, read 3,306,525 times
I grew up in a Republican house hold. My father when he grew up was President of the Young Democrats at his HS. Over the years his views changed. The turning point for me was when my father had his career derailed because of Affirmative Action. I saw how my father was discriminated against because he was white and that those policies were supported by Democrats. So that and many other reasons caused me to identify as a conservative.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:32 PM

27,632 posts, read 28,732,432 times
Quote:
From a young age, I have instinctively felt you have to work very hard to earn what you get in life. It took me a long time to even realize that not everybody thinks this way.

You can probably guess which political party I think this idea aligns more with.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:37 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
I was a Democrat until Obama was elected. I saw the party start leaning more left daily. I support gun rights and think people, if possible, should earn what they get. So I became a Republican. Not a big fan of Trump, but decided that anyone would be better than Hillary. Never had any use at all for Reagan or the Bushes. As I see the country go downhill with Biden in office it scares me. I think the best scenario is when the government is split. The least congress gets done, the better off we are. My parents were moderate Democrats which is close to what the Republican party is now.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:44 PM

18,506 posts, read 9,183,958 times
The Republicans serve only the rich and large corporations. I lean Democratic since they will occasionally throw a bone to ordinary working people.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:48 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,594,523 times
My grandfather was a hard core Eisenhower Republican, my father was a JFK democrat, so basically opposites of where the parties are today.

I'm a Constitutionalist.

But because I've only had a couple opportunities to vote for someone in my party, and because the modern left has gone completely off the rails, it seems my choices are limited to Republican candidates except in instances where there's a good third party candidate that I can support.

I honestly can never see myself voting for a democrat again, unless maybe there's a principled centrist like Manchin running in a race I could vote in.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:50 PM

13,499 posts, read 4,320,825 times
I'm with the side that will take less from my wallet and are against massive killing babies. You get the idea.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:51 PM

20,104 posts, read 20,910,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Republicans serve only the rich and large corporations. I lean Democratic since they will occasionally throw a bone to ordinary working people.
Couldn’t be further from the truth.
That was a very old school assessment.
It’s just not like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies