Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,571,986 times

Advertisements

My 2007 Hyundai Elantra has 56K miles on it, and shimmies on the freeway over 60 MPH, which tells me that it'stime for an alignment before I wear out the tires on the front end.

Can someone explain the diference between, a two-wheel vs. a 4-wheel alignment, which you'd recommend, and what I should expect to pay for it here in Los Angeles?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,284,995 times
It's pretty much what it sounds like. With a front-wheel alignment the adjust the two front wheels so that they both point in the same direction. With a four-wheel alignment they also adjust the back wheels to be true with the front wheels when they are pointed straight ahead. Some cars can't be aligned this way, but most today can.

If you're using a shop that you trust, I'd go with their recommendation. No idea what the cost would be in your area, sorry.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:15 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,635,214 times
Just because you have a shimmy @60, don't mean you necessarily need a front end alignment. If you need to put front end parts in, then you'll definitely need an alignment. May be something as simple as an unbalanced wheel. Get some recommendations for a local front end shop or have a mechanic look at it. Good luck to you.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM

21,870 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Or it might be tires. I have minor cupping in my tires due to the negative camber the Mazda runs, so i get a rumble/shimmy effect. It's happened with both the OEM and the tires I have on it now. It was fairly minor on the OEM tires and much more pronounced with the tires I have now.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or it might be tires. I have minor cupping in my tires due to the negative camber the Mazda runs, so i get a rumble/shimmy effect. It's happened with both the OEM and the tires I have on it now. It was fairly minor on the OEM tires and much more pronounced with the tires I have now.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Or if your in Alabama, you might have "MUD IN YOUR TIRES"

Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,546,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
My 2007 Hyundai Elantra has 56K miles on it, and shimmies on the freeway over 60 MPH, which tells me that it'stime for an alignment before I wear out the tires on the front end.

Can someone explain the diference between, a two-wheel vs. a 4-wheel alignment, which you'd recommend, and what I should expect to pay for it here in Los Angeles?

Thanks!
Get your wheels balanced. If that doesn't work, try the wheel alignment.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Get your wheels balanced. If that doesn't work, try the wheel alignment.
So your saying if it's not a wheel balance problem it can't be anything else other than alignment???

Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,715,753 times
As others said, it's not a slam dunk that you need an alignment to correct the shimmy. Odd wear or cupping on the tires can cause it as can improper balancing of the tires. If it's a tire balance issue, they can fix it. If it's a tire wear issue, then you can align it all you want and you won't fix the problem.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM

19,141 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
So your saying if it's not a wheel balance problem it can't be anything else other than alignment???
No, it could also be due to badly-worn ball joints or bad tie rod ends.
Yes, it would be very unusual to have these problems at such low odometer mileage, but it is possible, particularly if you commonly drive on roads that are in bad condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As others said, it's not a slam dunk that you need an alignment to correct the shimmy. Odd wear or cupping on the tires can cause it as can improper balancing of the tires. If it's a tire balance issue, they can fix it. If it's a tire wear issue, then you can align it all you want and you won't fix the problem.
Once tires have a bad wear pattern on them (due to bad balance, or to bad alignment, or to worn suspension/steering components), that wear pattern is there to stay. So, even if you fix the underlying problem, the symptoms will likely not go away unless you replace any badly-worn tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive