Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 AM

1,781 posts, read 4,032,689 times

Advertisements

This being my first car, I have no prior experience. My car's steering wheel is slightly to the left of center when driving straight. There isn't any pull on the wheel as such but the car does go slightly right when I let the steering wheel go. I am not sure if it's out of alignment or if it's simply the angle of the road (The roads around here are not straight either for me to test properly).

Recently I noticed that my front tires have some wear while the rear ones have none at all. The tires were close to new when I bought the car. The wear doesn't look uneven at all.

What do you think? Are wheel balancing and full alignment in order? Just to be confident before shelling out the money. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,749,436 times
It's really not possible to tell without actually driving your car or seeing the wear pattern on the tires. One of the biggest tell tale signs of a bad alignment is uneven wear on the front tires. What this means is that one edge of the tread is worn more than the other.

The off center steering can be corrected by an alignment, but most steering wheels are never dead on center unless someone really takes care when doing the alignment.

The wandering or pulling to the right can be caused by an alignment, uneven tire wear or even bad tie rods or bushings. There is no way to tell without looking at it.

The best thing to do is get some references to a good local mechanic who you can trust to give you a straight answer as to what is wrong. If you walk into a chain shop you'll be getting an alignment whether you need one or not and it may not fix your problem, if there even is a problem.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM

Thanks, I went ahead and had my car checked out at an independent repair shop. It did need alignment in the front.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,709,215 times
You're almost certainly in need of an alignment.

One problem, however, is that most alignment shops will come up with a whole list of parts that need to be replaced before they can align the car. Some of those repairs are legitimate, some are pure BS.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,593,612 times
I hope you had your tires rotated too.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Yes, I had the tires rotated too (and wheel balanced).

Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,268,109 times
Sounds like you need an alignment...especially if it's front wheel drive.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 AM

833 posts, read 1,716,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're almost certainly in need of an alignment.

One problem, however, is that most alignment shops will come up with a whole list of parts that need to be replaced before they can align the car. Some of those repairs are legitimate, some are pure BS.

Good luck!

Oldest trick in the book--------------advertise a real low alignment price in the paper, have folks schedule an appointment, then refuse to do the alignment unless a long list of new parts are installed.

A Sears auto place and a Firestone auto place tried to pull that on me on a car 1.5 years old.

I got it aligned someplace else and drove another 147,000 miles and never replaced those parts.

WHAT A RIP OFF !

Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 AM

45,529 posts, read 60,760,162 times
You guys really have some shady places. Over the last 40+ years I've never had a shop recommend parts, service or other work that wasn't necessary. Well, I take that back sort of, the dealer always wants to do a fuel injector cleaning and I had a dealer tech tell me one time that Bosch was an off brand for plugs and plug wires.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 AM

833 posts, read 1,716,310 times
I'll bet that 90% of places that advertize a low price wheel allignment in the newspaper ( with a coupon ) are rip off's.

The reputable wheel allignment places usually don't offer low priced coupons,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive