Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 PM

44,689 posts, read 61,837,844 times

Advertisements

Shimmying at 60 mph indicates out of balance tires. Pulling to the right or left is generally an alignment situation which possibly could involve worn ball joints etc.

Duster1979 above explained 2 and 4 wheel alignment correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,655,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No, it could also be due to badly-worn ball joints or bad tie rod ends.
Yes, it would be very unusual to have these problems at such low odometer mileage, but it is possible, particularly if you commonly drive on roads that are in bad condition.

Once tires have a bad wear pattern on them (due to bad balance, or to bad alignment, or to worn suspension/steering components), that wear pattern is there to stay. So, even if you fix the underlying problem, the symptoms will likely not go away unless you replace any badly-worn tires.
You took my quote out of context. I was responding to anothers post that basically said if your wheel is out of balance and that don't solve the shimy problem then go directly to alignment. If you noticed the question marks and the eek face at the end of my post, you would have got it.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,583,832 times
The roads here in LA are neck & neck with those in Detroit as the worst of any major American city, but the state and city are broke, so road maintenance isn't a priority out here.

Since there's no shortage of possibilities based on the superb answers, I'll have to find a reputable front-end shop and let them check it out., but I'm also having an oil change done this weeknd, so I'll have those folks inspect the tires.

Theoretically, how long should a set of ball joints last anyway?

Aside from buying a new battery after the first one went bad at 48,000 miles, the car has been flawless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive