Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 09:31 AM

24,898 posts, read 9,651,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
That is how they get paid.. The movie makes money. No one watches it , no box office sales, they will pay those actor pennies..
Bingo. No moviegoers = no more big time Hollywood films. They simply would’ve be able to cover the cost of the film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 09:38 AM

9,587 posts, read 5,876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Bingo. No moviegoers = no more big time Hollywood films. They simply would’ve be able to cover the cost of the film.
But if you're correct that movie theatres are almost dead and that movie studios will begin streaming directly (and I think you ARE correct), that means there are, ultimately, the same number of moviegoers" paying those actors their obscene salaries for mediocre (at best) movies.

Hollywood might be "losing" money right now, but the industry will adapt, innovate, and find the best conduits to maintain and grow profits. All it needs is people willing to watch their crap.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:18 AM

30,454 posts, read 23,912,738 times
Who is 'anti-theater'? I didn't know that was a thing.

Put something good out, without virtue signaling, wokeness, and propaganda, I'll go.

Until then, the only thing I'm anti when it comes to entertainment is anti-Hollywood. They suck, overall. Can't come up with an original idea, but think they're better than everyone else.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:26 AM

9,964 posts, read 7,865,578 times
Took the CA grandkids to see Cruella last weekend, actually entertaining but not worth the $60 for the 3 of us for tickets and snacks.

However, I was happy to pay it to get them out of their house, masks off, and back to the real world. It's been a tough 18 months for them.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:29 AM

48,665 posts, read 35,150,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Took the CA grandkids to see Cruella last weekend, actually entertaining but not worth the $60 for the 3 of us for tickets and snacks.

However, I was happy to pay it to get them out of their house, masks off, and back to the real world. It's been a tough 18 months for them.

We got it off Disney + for like $30 for for 7 of us. Plus, it can be re watched.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I'm not so sure. Do actors really need to make 10s of millions per film? With most things CGI, you don't to go out and do actual car chases anymore.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:35 AM

724 posts, read 408,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I haven't been in theater since 2002. Nothing to do with masks or the politics of Hollywood. Here's why, in no particular order:

1) Rude fellow movie goers
2) Better picture quality and vastly superior sound quality a home
3) I can't sit still for 2 hours straight, so I watch movies in chunks over a day or two.
4) Inconvenience. I have to change out of my jammies, drive to the theater, park, wait in line for tickets, wait for the movie to start, then drive back home again.
This! I have to admit, even as someone who has stayed locked down for most of COVID, I will admit that things are opening back up much sooner than I thought, and things (including theaters) are starting to resemble "normal" as vaccines have seemed largely control the pandemic.

But anti-theater to me was just accelerated by the pandemic. The costs, dealing with crowds, annoying patrons talking during shows, etc. are why I largely have forgone theaters and will continue to do so even post-pandemic.

The fact that many movies are offering a streaming option, which will be well-worth the cost of having to avoid what I disliked about the theater experience, is why I will continue to stay away from theaters (nothing to do with COVID).

Old 06-27-2021, 12:09 PM

13,849 posts, read 5,051,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You seem to not understand that movies on netflix have already been in movie theaters and are now in the DVD stage.
That used to be the case, but no more. Increasingly, movies are going straight to DVD (well, actually straight to streaming; no one rents DVDs anymore).

In fact, Netflix alone had several Oscar nominations this year, for movies like Mank, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, The Trial of the Chicago Seven and News of the World.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:36 PM

10,237 posts, read 11,222,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
F9 made 30 million in 1 day
I had to look up what F9 was..

My Give a Shyts meter—is on empty.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I had to look up what F9 was..

My Give a Shyts meter—is on empty.

I had to look it up too.

My first thought was "how could they make a movie about a keyboard key?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies