Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 02:57 PM

653 posts, read 536,660 times

Advertisements

His mouth, his choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 04:57 PM

19,985 posts, read 12,513,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Read my earlier post please. I said that his arrest will likely yield no real punishment - that is, no jail time, no fine, no record. So what are we arguing about here? If anything, the arrest is a teachable moment, with no negative repercussion, that it's best to steer clear of racial insults.

You keep talking about a crime. But how is he going to suffer? He's a juvenile. He'll be able to get hired and safely practice his vileness as a manager. You're defending someone that doesn't need your defense. Nothing to cry about here.

And how do you shift from cyberbullying using racial slurs to comedy? I don't understand this transition.

It's not alright to throw epithets at someone. I don't get why people want to protect being a douchbag towards other people. I believe in another thread on this toxic forum, I read that a black man punched an old man for calling him a racial slur. And what do you know? The 1st amendment crowd are calling for the black guy to get the needle b/c he wacked a poor old man.

The right to be a mouthy d-bag must be protected. It's in the constitution.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:45 PM

621 posts, read 247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The right to be a mouthy d-bag must be protected. It's in the constitution.

Laws are sometimes (not always) created to protect people from themselves. It's in my 1st amendment rights to threaten someone's life or scream bomb in subway. But the reason I don't do it is b/c there are other laws that circumvent those 1st amendment rights. The constitution says I have liberty, but I have to strap on a seatbelt b/c a law was created to make me think twice from flying through my windshield when I drink too many Stellas. We have a 2nd amendment right to bear arms. Try bearing your arms in NYC and see what happens to you.

The point is yes we have 1st amendment rights. But that teenager is so full of himself that he didn't realize that the state he lives in has a law against the very thing he did. I keep saying that for everyone who stresses their 1st amendment rights, roll up on someone and exercise your rights. You won't do it because of repercussions. So consider the law as a means of saving you against your own oversight or ignorance.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:48 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,499,140 times
Quote:
It's in my 1st amendment rights to threaten someone's life or scream bomb in subway.
This clearly indicates you don’t understand prevailing jurisprudence all that well when it comes to the first amendment. Neither of those things is actually your first amendment right.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:00 PM

18,560 posts, read 15,446,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
It's Connecticut law. I don't like it. But since I support more state autonomy, and I've supported red states passing their own laws, I won't be calling for the feds to overturn CT law.
The constitution was written to protect all of our freedoms. Sometimes, states want to take away our freedoms, but the constitution protects us from that.

States should be autonomous, right up to the point where they are not violating the constitution.

Would you support State autonomy if CT made a law outlawing red hair? The CT police could go rounding up gingers and throwing them in jail. The constitution HAS to supersede state law for this very reason.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:03 PM

18,560 posts, read 15,446,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This clearly indicates you don’t understand prevailing jurisprudence all that well when it comes to the first amendment. Neither of those things is actually your first amendment right.
Exactly right. "Fire" in a movie theater or "bomb" in a subway creates an imminent danger. There is an exception to the first amendment for imminent danger.

And the Supreme Court has been very strict about this interpretation in past cases. The 1st amendment is arguably the most important one, and the SCOTUS doesn't play fast and loose with it.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:

So you agree with what I said but then state I don't understand prevailing jurisprudence? I just indicated my understanding of prevailing jurisprudence. You can say what you want as it is your right. But I indicated that there are other laws that can and do circumvent your right to free speech. But you're off topic here - this is a discussion of this CT case...not a debate on the 1st amendment. Stay the course!

Old 05-20-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
So you agree with what I said but then state I don't understand prevailing jurisprudence? I just indicated my understanding of prevailing jurisprudence. You can say what you want as it is your right. But I indicated that there are other laws that can and do circumvent your right to free speech. But you're off topic here - this is a discussion of this CT case...not a debate on the 1st amendment. Stay the course!
No I’m definitely not off topic since I’m sure the first amendment will be the core of this person’s legal defense to the charges.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
No I’m definitely not off topic since I’m sure the first amendment will be the core of this person’s legal defense to the charges.

You are! Maybe you are, but I'm NOT a constitutional lawyer so I cannot debate the law with you. I can only opine about this case. Bottom line: He has no defense. CT law is clear on this - No racial insults. He's guilty as sin. And for the last time - he's a juvenile. He'll be alright. Why aren't we debating why he said what he said in the first place?

Old 05-20-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
You are! Maybe you are, but I'm NOT a constitutional lawyer so I cannot debate the law with you. I can only opine about this case. Bottom line: He has no defense. CT law is clear on this - No racial insults. He's guilty as sin. And for the last time - he's a juvenile. He'll be alright. Why aren't we debating why he said what he said in the first place?
No defense? So you’re saying a federal constitutional objection can’t be raised on a state law? That’s absurd.

Btw I’m not a lawyer either so I’m not sure why you think you can’t debate points of law with me, but ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies