Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 11:29 AM

2,367 posts, read 912,092 times

Advertisements

It's Connecticut law. I don't like it. But since I support more state autonomy, and I've supported red states passing their own laws, I won't be calling for the feds to overturn CT law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 11:37 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,431,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
It's Connecticut law. I don't like it. But since I support more state autonomy, and I've supported red states passing their own laws, I won't be calling for the feds to overturn CT law.
I support federalism and states crafting their own laws as it works for them also, as long as those laws are legally valid within our federal constitutional framework. Unfortunately in this case it really does look like this law is a violation of the accused’s first amendment rights.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:40 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,147,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Incredible responses here - there seems to be more sympathy here for the arrested teenager than the classmate who was bullied online.
That's correct, and it's correct.

There's a little bit of a difference in the seriousness and significance of being called a mean name by a peer online and using the force of government to violate a natural (and constitutional) right.

What's incredible is that you could see it any other way.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:58 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,423,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
So now calling someone a name is illegal?

Holy cow we are raising a generation of sissies.

"S*ssies"?

I knew we were headed here when the "N-word" became a thing.

Words are placeholders for ideas, and if that idea is that someone is a n*gger, f*g, b*tch, c*nt, whatever, eliminating the words won't negate the concept.

We'll just use new words.

When I was in the restaurant industry, "Canadians" meant black people and so did "brown-top".

Was either descriptor as offensive as n*gger?

Probably not to most people, but in reality, there is no difference.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Word police.
Aspiring thought police.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
No, it's the underlying bullying that's the issue. And bullying, particularly the online variety can be illegal depending on where you are. If the teenager was smart (while being a racist jerk), he should have just said the racial slur to the other kid's face. There would have been no charges.

https://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/ju...lying-illegal/

We either have a First Amendment or we don't.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
the kid who bullied the other kid is a jerk, but he didn't break the law. words are free speech. arresting the kid for saying despicable words is indefensible.
He DID break a Connecticut law, is the issue. That law may need to be struck down, but in Connecticut apparently calling someone a racial slur is actually illegal. Per the article:

charged with ridicule on account of creed, religion, color, denomination, nationality or race, as well as second degree breach of peace,

Old 05-20-2021, 12:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"S*ssies"?

I knew we were headed here when the "N-word" became a thing.

Words are placeholders for ideas, and if that idea is that someone is a n*gger, f*g, b*tch, c*nt, whatever, eliminating the words won't negate the concept.

We'll just use new words.

When I was in the restaurant industry, "Canadians" meant black people and so did "brown-top".

Was either descriptor as offensive as n*gger?

Probably not to most people, but in reality, there is no difference.
Well, I'm curious. Why did you need code to communicate the race of other people? What needed saying, that you couldn't just say by using African American or Black?

Old 05-20-2021, 12:17 PM

2,367 posts, read 912,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I support federalism and states crafting their own laws as it works for them also, as long as those laws are legally valid within our federal constitutional framework. Unfortunately in this case it really does look like this law is a violation of the accused’s first amendment rights.
Someone will have to sue.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:19 PM

52,700 posts, read 34,636,021 times
Default Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

'Whatever happened to freedom of speech? '

it's dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies