Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 12:56 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,435,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'Whatever happened to freedom of speech? '

it's dead.
I’ll have to admit, the fact that this actually made it into state law is an indication that I may have somewhat misjudged the magnitude of success the ultra Marxist left had had at being able to gain sufficient political support to actually enact policy in royal blue states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 01:46 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Online bullying is bad and should be discouraged. But simply taunting someone with words should not be criminalized. That is unconstitutional. The bully is getting more sympathy because it appears his constitutional rights are being violated here, while that does not appear to be happening to the victim.
Correct.

The right to not be offended doesn't trump the Constitution.

Maybe one day the First Amendment will be repealed and making someone feel bad with words will be outlawed, but we aren't there just yet.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Correct.

The right to not be offended doesn't trump the Constitution.

Maybe one day the First Amendment will be repealed and making someone feel bad with words will be outlawed, but we aren't there just yet.
And it’s not like there are not legal remedies for truly bad cases of bullying. The same comments could have caused the accused to face constitutionally legal sanction if they were part a pattern of illegal harassment or if they violated a restraining order.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:02 PM

621 posts, read 242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"S*ssies"?

I knew we were headed here when the "N-word" became a thing.

Words are placeholders for ideas, and if that idea is that someone is a n*gger, f*g, b*tch, c*nt, whatever, eliminating the words won't negate the concept.

We'll just use new words.

When I was in the restaurant industry, "Canadians" meant black people and so did "brown-top".

Was either descriptor as offensive as n*gger?

Probably not to most people, but in reality, there is no difference.

Like that same teenager, anyone who says what you just did is someone who would never use those words in the presence of a black person, or a Jew, or an Italian, a woman, a gay person, etc. And you know why you would never use those words...that's why you were speaking in code at that restaurant you worked at (and please share the name of the restaurant so I know never to step foot inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, I'm curious. Why did you need code to communicate the race of other people? What needed saying, that you couldn't just say by using African American or Black?

He thinks words are placeholders for ideas. But there is a huge reactionary difference between insulting someone and saying an offensive slur. He/she knows this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That's correct, and it's correct.

There's a little bit of a difference in the seriousness and significance of being called a mean name by a peer online and using the force of government to violate a natural (and constitutional) right.

What's incredible is that you could see it any other way.

A mean name huh? I challenge you to repeat a racial slur, I mean a mean name, in the presence of a black person, or a Jew, or an Italian, a woman, a gay person, etc. And then come back and tell us how many stitches you received.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:07 PM

36,672 posts, read 30,977,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Incredible responses here - there seems to be more sympathy here for the arrested teenager than the classmate who was bullied online. We know that nothing will happen to the teenager. He won't go to jail. He won't have a record. But maybe he can learn a lesson in civics and how to talk to people before he gets himself hurt. And, calling someone fat vs a racial slur is a very different class of insult.
Wasnt he arrested. Is being arrested nothing.
Tell that to a fat girl. You think being called the "C" word is damaging than calling someone fatty. Ridicule is ridicule.
I cant believe that is a crime. So no more comedy?

Old 05-20-2021, 02:15 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, I'm curious. Why did you need code to communicate the race of other people? What needed saying, that you couldn't just say by using African American or Black?
Canadians, real Canadians, are notorious for tipping poorly, if at all.

Blacks have the same reputation for tipping poorly, if at all, thus the common reference.

As for the other classification, a group of two guests would be a two-top; three guests, a three-top and a group of black guests, a brown-top.

This is pretty universal within the restaurant industry, though "Canadians" might be a local reference since my area is close to the Canadian border.

The purpose of the code is allow for the expression of frustration to a sympathetic co-worker, one who has also been screwed many times by Canadians, without being dragged into the office for being overheard saying what everyone already knows but isn't allowed to say.

Identifiable groups of people will always have issues with other identifiable groups, and they will label those other groups based on that resentment.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Wasnt he arrested. Is being arrested nothing.
Tell that to a fat girl. You think being called the "C" word is damaging than calling someone fatty. Ridicule is ridicule.
I cant believe that is a crime. So no more comedy?

Read my earlier post please. I said that his arrest will likely yield no real punishment - that is, no jail time, no fine, no record. So what are we arguing about here? If anything, the arrest is a teachable moment, with no negative repercussion, that it's best to steer clear of racial insults.

You keep talking about a crime. But how is he going to suffer? He's a juvenile. He'll be able to get hired and safely practice his vileness as a manager. You're defending someone that doesn't need your defense. Nothing to cry about here.

And how do you shift from cyberbullying using racial slurs to comedy? I don't understand this transition.

It's not alright to throw epithets at someone. I don't get why people want to protect being a douchbag towards other people. I believe in another thread on this toxic forum, I read that a black man punched an old man for calling him a racial slur. And what do you know? The 1st amendment crowd are calling for the black guy to get the needle b/c he wacked a poor old man.

So let me get this straight - you want to be able to say whatever you want, but you don't want the blowback? Is that it?

You don't want to get physically assaulted.

You don't want to lose your livelihood.

You don't want to be shamed.

Nah....life don't work like that.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:20 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,976,717 times
Let me know when all the rappers start getting arrested.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Read my earlier post please. I said that his arrest will likely yield no real punishment - that is, no jail time, no fine, no record. So what are we arguing about here? If anything, the arrest is a teachable moment, with no negative repercussion, that it's best to steer clear of racial insults.

You keep talking about a crime. But how is he going to suffer? He's a juvenile. He'll be able to get hired and safely practice his vileness as a manager. You're defending someone that doesn't need your defense. Nothing to cry about here.

And how do you shift from cyberbullying using racial slurs to comedy? I don't understand this transition.

It's not alright to throw epithets at someone. I don't get why people want to protect being a douchbag towards other people. I believe in another thread on this toxic forum, I read that a black man punched an old man for calling him a racial slur. And what do you know? The 1st amendment crowd are calling for the black guy to get the needle b/c he wacked a poor old man.

So let me get this straight - you want to be able to say whatever you want, but you don't want the blowback? Is that it?

You don't want to get physically assaulted.

You don't want to lose your livelihood.

You don't want to be shamed.

Nah....life don't work like that.
This post is incredibly naive. Even an arrest can follow you and negatively harm your career prospects in America. Think about it, the kid applies for a job. Sometimes even just arrests show up on background checks or he may have to disclose it if he answers honestly on an application. Then let’s say as a result of that, the business owner decides to see what it was for and sees it was for a racist comment. Well he may not want a racist working at his company, so the job may not be offered to him. A teachable moment would have been more akin to a suspension from school. This is more like a permanent stain.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This post is incredibly naive. Even an arrest can follow you and negatively harm your career prospects in America. Think about it, the kid applies for a job. Sometimes even just arrests show up on background checks or he may have to disclose it if he answers honestly on an application. Then let’s say as a result of that, the business owner decides to see what it was for and sees it was for a racist comment. Well he may not want a racist working at his company, so the job may not be offered to him. A teachable moment would have been more akin to a suspension from school. This is more like a permanent stain.

You don't understand the law. I can't educate you on this. I encourage you to understand how arrest records work when it comes to juveniles versus adults.

I will say that this line you stated is very very compelling:
Even an arrest can follow you and negatively harm your career prospects in America.

Something to think about when people judge why black and brown people can't get work and earn pennies on the dollar to whites. You seem to understand the pernicious impact of being arrested for a minor offense. But again, the kid's record will be expunged or sealed upon adulthood. So everything you mentioned will not apply to this teenager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies