Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 03:05 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Medical evidence and statistics are there showing smoking pot is far worse for you than smoking tobacco as far as lung issues and general health risks.
Only if you ignore use patterns. People don't smoke 20 joints a day, as I'm sure you know.

That being said, shouldn't the party of small government butt out on a decision like that?

Old 05-19-2021, 03:07 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
.............And frequent, recreational pot users are some of the most unintelligent people that I've ever met. I would be pleased if they chose to live in marijuana-liberated states such as CA, MA, MI, IL, NY, NJ, and VA, rather than Florida.
Yup. I don't want anything to do with them.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There is only one reason why they want to keep it illegal...they are colluding with the criminal organizations, seriously the criminals can ONLY benefit if a drug is illegal, (once its legal, legitimate companies take over manufacture and distribution).

If I was a citizen in either of those states, I would remind my local law makers of the consequences of assisting the criminals instead of the good people.

Also, many people out there believe Marijuana to be much more serious and dangerous than Heroin or Cocaine.
Not a coincidence that both of these states are huge entry points for illegal marijuana, whether via truck or ship.

It still astounds me that every state doesn’t want the revenue that has been poured into Colorado’s coffers.

“Colorado’s marijuana sales eclipsed the half-billion dollar mark in the first quarter of 2021, the state Department of Revenue (DOR) said on Tuesday.

In all, marijuana sales were over $560 million between January and March. More than $10.5 billion in marijuana has been sold in Colorado since it was legalized in 2014.

Those sales translate into over $1.7 billion in tax revenue that goes towards public schools, infrastructure projects and local government programs.”

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/colo...-three-months/

Old 05-19-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
And frequent, recreational pot users are some of the most unintelligent people that I've ever met. I would be pleased if they chose to live in marijuana-liberated states such as CA, MA, MI, IL, NY, NJ, and VA, rather than Florida.
Fun story: When JPL (Pasadena) wanted to introduce mandatory drug tests, the engineers made it clear that while that was of course within JPL's power to do so - being federally funded and all - there were two problems:
  1. They were prepared to resign en masse and take jobs elsewhere, and...
  2. You can't just go on LinkedIn and find people who can build Mars Rovers.

Policy quietly dropped.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Those studies are old. Here are some newer ones. It could be the science is not settled on it. However, common sense tells me that setting a plant and paper on fire and inhaling it is probably not good for me.
Adjusted for intake, I'm not sure the cumulative effects really are a risk factor. But to teach their own, I don't partake at all. OTOH, I am drinking more than my share of the world's beer, so who am I to complain?

Old 05-19-2021, 04:56 PM

2,047 posts, read 857,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It's a naturally occurring plant that exists in reality and is more akin to the caffeine in tea or coffee than alcohol or any other drug. Works directly with our endocannabinoid system like they were designed for each other and offers a range of benefits beyond just getting high. With usage dating back to 5,000 B.C. Caffeine is actually more harmful. But if we tried to ban caffeine I think we would have full blown riots on our hands people are so dependent on it.

Many who have not tried it just parrot government propaganda about it. Not even knowing that sativa varieties are actually energizing and help with creativity and drive rather than the "in-da-couch" stereotype of heavy users of indica.

You can choose not to participate in all that reality has to offer, but I would argue that person is the one who is shielding themselves from reality.
You left one important factor out of your equation of thinking. The weed they grow today is about 1000 times more powerful did it ever was in its natural state back when Native Americans smoked their peace pipes. Even back during the 60s hippie movement. Marijuana today has been highbred and it’s a very hard drug compared to years gone past.

That said, I could careless if you smoke it. I’m. Live and let live myself. About most topics Like this. If It’s not hurting someone innocent, and you enjoy it then have at it.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:39 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I have no respect for the governors of Texas and Florida. Abbott and DeSantis, I have no respect for them.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:50 PM

163 posts, read 55,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Pot carries MUCH farther. I have lived in several apartments and the only time we smelled out smoking neighbors is when they did pot.
The difference for me is, second hand cigarette smoke is known to be harmful. There is no known harm from second hand marijuana smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have no respect for the governors of Texas and Florida. Abbott and DeSantis, I have no respect for them.
Ditto....and it really has nothing to do with this latest stupidity.

These Republican led states are always decades behind the rest of the country. In New York they have actually gone back and retroactively dismissed and expunged the records of anyone who had previously been found or pled guilty to simple marijuana possession. They are doing the same with cases where people were involved in prostitution. Neither of these things needs to be criminalized. Our prisons are full as it is. Let consenting adults who arent harming anyone do as they please.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:57 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Texas has been using drug courts for close to 20 years and was one of the first states to do so. Casual marijuana users do not typically get prison terms, especially not for a first time offense.
Of course, it's long been a handy way to make sure that those people 'know their place'. And who better to do it than 'the Party of Personal Freedom'?!

Old 05-19-2021, 06:03 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
The difference for me is, second hand cigarette smoke is known to be harmful. There is no known harm from second hand marijuana smoke.

Ditto....and it really has nothing to do with this latest stupidity.

These Republican led states are always decades behind the rest of the country. In New York they have actually gone back and retroactively dismissed and expunged the records of anyone who had previously been found or pled guilty to simple marijuana possession. They are doing the same with cases where people were involved in prostitution. Neither of these things needs to be criminalized. Our prisons are full as it is. Let consenting adults who arent harming anyone do as they please.
No one should ever go to jail for smoking weed. I find it disgusting that anyone would want to see prison time for someone smoking a joint. It needs to be decriminalized. Anyone who is only in prison for marijuana use, needs to be released ASAP. New York has a novel idea. Expunge marijuana use from one's record. I agree that we already have a large prison population. We have the world's largest prison population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.