Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 09:19 AM

773 posts, read 807,473 times

Advertisements

People forgot that the first 10k of unemployment is tax free and you also can get your rent paid for as well.

I said this a thousand times, why would you work when you can make more doing nothing, with first 10k tax free and your rent paid as well.

This is the most stupid gov't policy to pay people more to do nothing and pay their rent at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 05:36 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,866,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
If you are directing this towards me, you need to go back and read the post that I was responding to, then maybe you can comprehend why I made such a sarcastic remark, and IF not, then the little "smack your head" smilie should have given it away....

It's early in the morning, maybe you have not had your coffee yet?
Maybe you need to be more CLEAR in what you mean and NOT be so "sarcastic"!

We CAN'T read your mind.

"It's early in the morning", NOT for me.

Maybe you should STOP trying to read peoples minds, you stink at it!

Old 05-09-2021, 07:51 AM

46,621 posts, read 27,474,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Maybe you need to be more CLEAR in what you mean and NOT be so "sarcastic"!

We CAN'T read your mind.

"It's early in the morning", NOT for me.

Maybe you should STOP trying to read peoples minds, you stink at it!
It was VERY clear, if yo would have comprehend the post I was responding to....but as we can see....

You did not go back and read the post I was responding to.

And talk about stinking, yea, you own that also, cause you could not even understand the smilie at the end of my post, maybe get your grandchildren to cipher for you next time.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:14 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,145,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But an employer can prove their work environment addresses COVID concerns.

But the argument that people are refusing to go back to work might explain why the unemployment rate is not going down but it doesn't explain why it might go up slightly.

That suggests employers are still laying people off....people are forced to go on unemployment.
It could also mean that as people get vaccinated who are waiting it out are reentering or were awaiting a job but realize it isn't coming fast enough as states add the looking for work requirement back.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:42 AM

5,982 posts, read 2,956,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Slightly? Lost 18,000 manufacturing jobs. That's what happens when you pay people not to work.
If a $300 check is enough to make people not accept a company's job, that says more about how low wages are in the US than anything. This speaks to the need for an increase in minimum wage.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:45 AM

25,902 posts, read 20,877,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
What I have seen is people just moving from fast food and labor-based jobs to gig jobs because they pay more and are easier frankly. When many restaurants and fast food places let people go, quite a few went to Uber Eats, Uber, Door Dash, Instcart, on and on. People were delivering for the places that fired them.

Low wages and Fast food jobs have always sucked as has their pay. THe only difference is people have alternatives that pay better.

I could not justify anyone working for KFC or Mc Donalds for $8.00 an hour when you can just drop food off to people for $14-$18 an hour all while making your own schedule and not having to deal with th general public. Cars are so damn reliable now that wear and tear is not a big deal for most people especially in cities or compact suburban areas.

I think people are severely underestimating how much people hate working fast food and Wal-Mart-type jobs. How many of you would choose a fast-food job over something like Door Dash if both were viable options?

Personally, I would cut lawns or anything else than to deal with a screaming Manager and Customer arguing with me about a $1.00 sandwich. Ill show you where to put that sandwich.
And who would blame you or anyone else who has made a similar decision over the past year?

Saw a report on the news the other day about a store worker abused by a customer over wearing a mask quit on the spot after being in her position for four years.

Why should people go back to work to suffer ongoing abuse and risk being exposed by those same idiots?

Old 05-09-2021, 10:50 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,145,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And who would blame you or anyone else who has made a similar decision over the past year?

Saw a report on the news the other day about a store worker abused by a customer over wearing a mask quit on the spot after being in her position for four years.

Why should people go back to work to suffer ongoing abuse and risk being exposed by those same idiots?
Especially for a low wage. Many stores and employees relented over time to these idiots. And people wonder why I have bought more and more on Amazon during the pandemic... It is more convenient and don't have to worry about idiots not wearing their masks.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:55 AM

25,902 posts, read 20,877,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
If a $300 check is enough to make people not accept a company's job, that says more about how low wages are in the US than anything. This speaks to the need for an increase in minimum wage.
Indeed it does.
What a ridiculous state of affairs.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:56 AM

33 posts, read 32,440 times
Enhanced unemployment only lasts a few more months. If there’s a sincere concern about excess spending, I suggest a complete overhaul of SSI/Disability with all these 23-year-olds with nothing wrong getting it permanently.

There are so many young people here who are on SSI for something like ‘ADHD’ or ‘anxiety’. These kids are of a generation where their parents did the same thing so these kids have not only never worked; they’ve been taught - by their parents - that working is a waste of time and will coach them how to fake an obsessive-compulsive disorder or something to get approved. So what’s going to happen someday when the 18-23 year olds in 2021 hit 45 and all that money is gone and they’ve never worked a day in their lives? How do you teach someone at 45 what they should’ve learned in 7th grade and who’s going to hire them?

Point is, our problem is not with people who have employment and are on temporary unemployment. They’re going back to work. As a nation and as taxpayers, our bigger problem are thousands and thousands of very young people with no medical problems receiving full, permanent SSI/Disability. What happened to this having to be verified?

Old 05-09-2021, 10:58 AM

34,359 posts, read 17,540,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post

No, it speaks for a need to wait until September when the $300 gift stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies