Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much longer will you wear a mask
I'll wear a mask for the rest of my life. 12 5.33%
I'll wear a mask until there is a vaccine and I get the vaccine. 33 14.67%
I'll wear a mask for as long as the "experts" and "science" tell me to wear a mask. 77 34.22%
I will wear a mask if required by a business or the government, but only until the end of the year. 26 11.56%
I will wear a mask if required by a business or the government, but only for another year. 16 7.11%
I will not wear a mask any more. 11 4.89%
I don't wear a mask now and don't care what the government or a private business says. 36 16.00%
Other/Not sure (please explain) 14 6.22%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,498,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
what servitude? I am no one's servant. I am, however, the master of my own survival, and since I have no death wish, it could be said I serve my survival quite faithfully.

I do not pretend to know more than my doctors. They are my experts, but not my Gods; their advice is only medical, not religious.

If you want to happy-talk yourself into an early grave, who am I to stop you? You are no servant either, except to your own folly.
You should be free to wear one and free not to.
Personally I dont care what you do, as my health is my responsibilty, as is yours is to you.

There is no settled science in regard to covid and masks, but its known so far the survival rate is over 99%, so to call exposing oneself to it a death wish, is irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 10:54 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You should be free to wear one and free not to.
Personally I dont care what you do, as my health is my responsibilty, as is yours is to you

I wish everyone had your attitude. In fact in real life most people won't nag you. It's the world of political forums where you hear most of it. Sometime I do remember and keep in mind.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:56 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,124,790 times
I wear a mask when in a store or close quarters with others. I use a thicker mask in areas of higher risk. Example, when I had to take my son to the hospital. Other times, I am not wearing a mask. I am not sure what the big deal is.

Implying that we are asked to wear a mask at all times is disingenuous.

We've never sustained a national level flattening of the curve... the reasons I think are obvious. So putting a timeline on mask wearing is moot point. Its like putting a timeline on improving a health issue when the patient is uncooperative or ignores the doctor's recommendations.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:56 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,498,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I wish everyone had your attitude.
I do too, the smug pontificating of others gets old.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:58 AM

13,985 posts, read 5,647,020 times
I will wear a mask if a business or gathering I wish to engage with requires it under their criteria for voluntary association. If they don't, I won't wear one.

That's currently my modus operandi, no reason to alter it.

I don't have a single concern about covid nor do I believe in the efficacy of these ridiculous masks and the rules governing them, but I do and always will value the right of voluntary association, so if a person, business, or other entity that I wish to associate with requires my wearing a mask as one of their criteria for accepting the association, then in the interest of that association I seek, wearing a mask isn't that big of a deal to me.

However long this absurd national delusion lasts, I guess that is the framework I must operate within. Whether any one particular association merits the mask or not is purely case by case. Generally, no, most associations are not worth the kabuki theater and absurdity, but some are worth it, so I proceed on the individual case basis as always.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:00 AM

14,968 posts, read 12,185,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I knew this response was coming. I'm sorry, but "until it's safe" is not an answer. Nothing has ever been "safe." It is not "safe" now. It will never, ever be "safe."

"Safe" is a meaningless nonsense word and anyone who uses it loses my respect immediately. NOTHING is "safe." Every activity in life has some amount of risk and absolutely nothing is "SAFE."

Do you want to try again or stick with that answer?
I see the word "science" in the same way in this covid context. Tossed around like a football by people who have no idea what science really means,, because it's trendy and they think using the word makes them look knowledgeable.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,121,934 times
No way will I wear a mask outdoors if I'm on public property, or association property (of which I own in).

I haven't worn a mask outdoors at all in Miami Beach, even when it was required to do so.
I haven't worn a mask in my building's elevators, hallways, etc even though technically required.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 AM

14,968 posts, read 12,185,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I will wear a mask if a business or gathering I wish to engage with requires it under their criteria for voluntary association. If they don't, I won't wear one.

That's currently my modus operandi, no reason to alter it.

I don't have a single concern about covid nor do I believe in the efficacy of these ridiculous masks and the rules governing them, but I do and always will value the right of voluntary association, so if a person, business, or other entity that I wish to associate with requires my wearing a mask as one of their criteria for accepting the association, then in the interest of that association I seek, wearing a mask isn't that big of a deal to me.

However long this absurd national delusion lasts, I guess that is the framework I must operate within. Whether any one particular association merits the mask or not is purely case by case. Generally, no, most associations are not worth the kabuki theater and absurdity, but some are worth it, so I proceed on the individual case basis as always.
Very well said, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:03 AM

25,983 posts, read 22,176,776 times
I still don't wear a mask, continuing to boycott the town which also just extended the mask mandate until Thanksgiving, and I suppose they will try to take Christmas also. Prior to their vote, I sent them information, but they have their heads up the behind of the Democratic governor. I will not risk my health: https://healthandmoneynews.wordpress...OBDZhG-lscddEM

Our Governor is trying to get a state-wide mask mandate again, but it should fail. Every time the cases go down, they start talking mask mandate. Oh, and she wants it before the election! Ah, no!

Old 10-22-2020, 11:09 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,139,639 times
I’m only wearing them in medical facilities now, because I can’t get in without one. Once I’m in my doctor’s office, it’s pulled down until I leave his office.

Have any of you talked to YOUR doctor about it, or do y’all just accept the whims of TV doctors?

I trust the people treating me directly much more than I trust bureaucrats who happen to also have medical degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies