Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 10:56 AM

25,835 posts, read 20,777,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Right, this is the suppression methodology.

I'm going to make it as inconvenient as possible for my political opponents to express an opinion against me, and if they can't jump through the hoops required to do so then that just proves my inherent position of superiority to them and shows they didn't deserve to vote anyway.
Sums it up perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 10:57 AM

5,099 posts, read 2,306,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Did you actually read the article? Long lines don't suppress minority votes, closing polling places in communities with high percentages of minorities is suppressing the minority vote (and happens to cause long lines at the polls).
Why are these particular polling places closed? Not enough poll workers? Buildings can't handle the health-protection requirements? It's not always because 'racism'.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:01 AM

16,955 posts, read 16,817,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
LOL

I seem to recall a time when we only had ONE DAY to vote...
Glad I made you laugh! I am voting on November 3rd. I think it takes the excitement away to stick it in a mail box.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:05 AM

107 posts, read 61,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Glad I made you laugh! I am voting on November 3rd. I think it takes the excitement away to stick it in a mail box.
You don't get a "I VOTED" sticker that way....

Old 10-15-2020, 11:14 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,802,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Here, "mail-in" ballots, are being hand delivered??
What is the point of a mail-in ballot? They are less secure, with more hands on it.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:23 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
You don't get a "I VOTED" sticker that way....
There was an "I Voted" sticker in the envelope with my absentee ballot.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:44 AM

38,933 posts, read 24,018,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What I'm hearing is, lazy people don't have any time to be good citizens and select good government.

There are few options to make voting "easier."

The 3,007 counties, boroughs and parishes in the US cannot afford to have full-time poll-workers on the payroll for an event that occurs once every 4 years, or even every 2 years.

For that reason, unpaid volunteers are used to staff polling precincts.

Polling precincts mirror US Census Bureau census tracts.

It's not my fault that more people live in one census tract than another census tract.

Perhaps we could do the Liberal thing and force equality of census tracts by forcing people to move to places they don't want to live so that all census tracts have the same number of people so that people like you can feel good about themselves.

Also, it's not my fault that even though some census tracts that have large Black populations don't have enough poll workers because Black people don't want to volunteer.

Perhaps if more Black people volunteered, there would be more poll workers and the lines would be shorter.

Not relevant. Most polling precincts are within walking distance, since polling precincts are based on census tracts.

But, none of that matters since absentee ballots are available.

What, retired people on Social Security are on "salary"?

Not relevant.

None of those are relevant. It is true that because rural areas are sparsely populated, the census tracts are larger geographically, and the polling place may be some distance away, but that is still not relevant.

People like you do nothing but make 1,000s of excuses.
WRONG. I'm going to have to disagree with you that they are lazy. The issue really is that people have not enough time and have to stand in long lines. A good number of states also have it that you cannot vote after the time ends, regardless of their place in line or voting back-ups throughout the day. Also early voting hasn't really been as pushed until this year because of the pandemic. And I say this as someone who has early voted by mail since 2014. I do my civil duty but I realize many have little to no way to do it considering the lines. Line issues have been big in Arizona for several years due to many polling place closings over the past few election cycles, especially primaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The long lines to vote tend to be in densely populated Democrat-governed cities. So why aren't those Democrat city leaders doing something about it?
Polling places have closed or moved to one single location for hundreds of thousands of voters. Not always due to Democratic policies. Also there are numerous issues such as voting machine failures, only using paperless sign in. These issues have occured in Georgia largely due to Republican state rules, not local Democrat rules. I love how people forget that many rules aren't set by the Democrats but rather Republicans. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good partisan hack comment...

Old 10-15-2020, 11:46 AM

47,070 posts, read 26,182,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
What I'm hearing is that you are completely out of touch.

I, personally, am quite lazy, but I had time to vote because my kids are grown, my work hours are flexible, and I have a car.

People who work multiple jobs, or hourly wage jobs are not lazy.
But people who work multiple jobs, hourly wage jobs, who may be economically stressed and relying on public transportation may vote the wrong way. The GOP can't pass laws that restrict the vote to the middle class and up, but they for sure can make it a hard as possible for those of lesser means to vote. And they do.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:49 AM

11,403 posts, read 4,110,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Did you actually read the article? Long lines don't suppress minority votes, closing polling places in communities with high percentages of minorities is suppressing the minority vote (and happens to cause long lines at the polls).
I seriously doubt the OP will respond to you and address that LOL.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:50 AM

47,070 posts, read 26,182,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
If the wait causes them not to vote, that's on them. I've seen people wait hours for "Black Friday" shopping, sports events, concerts, etc. That entire reasoning is crud and not legitimate. People will wait for what is a "priority" for them. Just more propaganda.
Just hire a babysitter and take a day off work, you lazy bums. Oh, you can't afford that? Too bad, no vote for you. The courts banned poll taxes and literacy test, but the idea is alive and kicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies