Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 07:36 AM

1,265 posts, read 446,907 times

Advertisements

Picture is worth 1000 words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 07:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,746,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
For those of you who get your news from CNN... here's the latest crap they are peddling:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/opini...eph/index.html

Can't get any dumber than this. Long lines are EVERYWHERE!!! It's not a racial thing.
Let’s look at this a bit more critically, OP.

Are there areas mentioned where lines are longer than others?
How many voting precincts are there in each?
How many have been closed in the last few years?
What are the demographics of those areas?

I would love to hear how long posters are waiting to vote in their areas.
I waited 0 minutes to vote yesterday. That’s how long it took to drop my ballot in the secure drop-box outside my local library.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
For those of you who get your news from CNN... here's the latest crap they are peddling:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/opini...eph/index.html

Can't get any dumber than this. Long lines are EVERYWHERE!!! It's not a racial thing.
When everyone is standing in line 6ft. apart... things can get strung out into a really long line.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,746,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
If the wait causes them not to vote, that's on them. I've seen people wait hours for "Black Friday" shopping, sports events, concerts, etc. That entire reasoning is crud and not legitimate. People will wait for what is a "priority" for them. Just more propaganda.
Which doesn’t address the question of “why do people have to wait hours to vote?”
Why aren’t there enough places to vote and/or enough voting machines in those areas?
Voting is just a tad more important than sales, etc., so why isn’t it treated as such?

Old 10-15-2020, 07:52 AM

107 posts, read 61,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Which doesn’t address the question of “why do people have to wait hours to vote?”
Why aren’t there enough places to vote and/or enough voting machines in those areas?
Voting is just a tad more important than sales, etc., so why isn’t it treated as such?
Because the powers that be want this to happen. This isn't a hard issue to remedy if they wanted to, but they don't. Everyone - both sides of the aisle - want this election to be a disaster. They are setting it up to be one. The answer to your question - they want to create the chaos.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:59 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,428,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Let’s look at this a bit more critically, OP.

Are there areas mentioned where lines are longer than others?
How many voting precincts are there in each?
How many have been closed in the last few years?
What are the demographics of those areas?

I would love to hear how long posters are waiting to vote in their areas.
I waited 0 minutes to vote yesterday. That’s how long it took to drop my ballot in the secure drop-box outside my local library.
It took me about 20 mins, round-trip, to drop my ballot off at the Township Clerk's office.

I have friends in GA that waited ~5.5hrs earlier this week to vote.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
Because the powers that be want this to happen. This isn't a hard issue to remedy if they wanted to, but they don't. Everyone - both sides of the aisle - want this election to be a disaster. They are setting it up to be one. The answer to your question - they want to create the chaos.
I'm afraid this is pretty accurate.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:05 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,448,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Exactly.

You could also argue that minorities disproportionately work lower-wage hourly jobs, thus are more impacted by long waits (every hour in line is an hour you don't get paid) and so are less likely to vote - that's an issue for everyone that works an hourly job and lives hand-to-mouth, obviously, but if it impacts a greater percentage of minorities vs. whites, it's worth pointing out.
Man, you are the expert stretcher! Every working voter has to work around their schedule to vote. You are creating a "problem" where one DOES NOT EXIST.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Man, you are the expert stretcher! Every working voter has to work around their schedule to vote. You are creating a "problem" where one DOES NOT EXIST.
No, it's reality.

Yes, as I stated in my post, this effects every hourly worker - to some degree. However, if it disproportionately impacts minorities, it could easily be seen as "worth it" to sacrifice some of your own base. It's all voter calculus and it drives a lot of these decisions.

Look at the polling stations that were closed in SC. Look at the current mess in Houston. It's the chess equivalent of sacrificing a pawn to to take a bishop.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:15 AM

6,760 posts, read 3,030,809 times
Polling places need alot of staff to run those things. They can be hard to come by.

They gotta orient them and train them and work with their schedule and get paid to boot.

People complain about the DMV for a reason. Gov't run stuff just sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies